shape
carat
color
clarity

I’m resetting my tapered baguette setting..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m so happy for you that you are going for a re do. Sometimes we have to live with something to truly know what we want. Wishing you alll the luck that this hits the spot! Can’t wait to see it! I love a baguette setting!
Thank you @Slick! I’m hoping I get it right this time!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very excited for you!... yes the heart wants what the heart wants, and if you stray you will regret.. and life's too short for regrets. BTW I love 6 prongs on RBs, its a timeless classic design. Can't wait to see it.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I was going to suggest this as well.
Me three.. I don’t think that the existing baguettes taper much. @Mamabean you might want to see if DK will allow you to trade your existing ones toward a more suitable pair. Good luck with the reset!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you! Looking forward to the CADs. It will be gorgeous!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@arkieb1 @nala @SimoneDi A slimmer longer pair? If I don’t use these I will be able to open a shop for baguettes..:P2 I have some from another reset..They’re shorter and even squarer..I just emailed David to ask him about slimmer and more tapered baguettes..Maybe the diamond looks smaller to me because the baguettes are too squarish and thick near the head. If you can give me a few pics that would be very helpful! Thanks!

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like this? Or slimmer?
8ACEB285-4797-4267-B90B-F65C8EB21453.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one of my absolute favorites:
A728A2E9-0EC1-4500-A9C7-F2513B7C3525.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D378D68-3911-40D4-90A4-B4C1BD3ED8B7.jpeg
    8D378D68-3911-40D4-90A4-B4C1BD3ED8B7.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 76

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is one of my absolute favorites:
A728A2E9-0EC1-4500-A9C7-F2513B7C3525.jpeg
Yes I would love that size stone! Gulp! The baguette looks similar to the size in my photo.. Thanks!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
69B083FB-1E61-40EA-BE44-15117CE7F7D3.png @Mamabean will the fact that you might not reuse your baguettes affect your reset choice? Have you tried several other settings to decide if it’s really the height of the stone and 6 prong that is bothering you or if you are craving a whole new look?
If I may play devil’s advocate, can I ask specific details about your planned reset? Will you be revamping your current setting to make this new one, selling it or reusing it? It sounds like you were planning to use the baguettes. Have you considered selling your setting instead? I guess that I’m insisting Bc if you do tapered baguettes, will that change your overall plan?
ETA: this pic reminds me of your current setting

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@nala When you guys mentioned it would look better if they were tapered...I thought if I have to buy another set of baguettes I would then have three pairs of baguettes. I even though of changing it to a soli instead. My main concern was that my diamond looked smaller in the cocoon setting. I also don’t like the four prongs for my stone..I missed my six prongs but still wanted the baguettes which isn’t common..They usually have four..I love the baguettes I have because they are more rectangular..They do have a taper but ever so slight. I’m not a fan of a pointy thin taper..The plan was that he would melt my 18k gold setting and reuse the metal. I also sent him my old 14k white gold setting so he could see that those prongs were too high. I want something in the middle between the two settings.
I just edited it to mention I wish my diamond was the size in your example! I considered trading up but decided against it..:wall:

David received my ring today. This is what he wrote me..I agreed to draw up the design..and send me a model so I can see it on my hand. Thank you for your help! :kiss2:
2481A3D8-BFF2-45AD-B0C4-326FE9D842C2.jpeg

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean My 2c, David’s suggestions make great sense. If you don’t like the look of pointy thin tapers, then definitely stick with your existing baguettes. Also, at $600-800 for new ones, and the fact you already have three (?) pairs of unset baguettes, and that you’ve already some sunk costs in the setting you don’t like - perhaps a new pair of baguettes isn’t a good idea. Unless you LOVE the new pair of course! ☺️

Can’t wait to see your design, will you be sharing here before sending to David?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean My 2c, David’s suggestions make great sense. If you don’t like the look of pointy thin tapers, then definitely stick with your existing baguettes. Also, at $600-800 for new ones, and the fact you already have three (?) pairs of unset baguettes, and that you’ve already some sunk costs in the setting you don’t like - perhaps a new pair of baguettes isn’t a good idea. Unless you LOVE the new pair of course! ☺️

Can’t wait to see your design, will you be sharing here before sending to David?
It’s already dismantled because he told me the weights of the ring and the actual measurements of the diamonds..I have two sets of baguettes..The new set from last year are a really good quality...I would have to buy a third set if I want the slimmer tapered ones. I don’t know what I would do with the newer pair if I didn’t use them...I also like them..If he can come up with a setting where I can use them I’ll be happy.

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
It’s already dismantled because he told me the weights of the ring and the actual measurements of the diamonds..I have two sets of baguettes..The new set from last year are a really good quality...I would have to buy a third set if I want the slimmer tapered ones. I don’t know what I would do with the newer pair if I didn’t use them...I also like them..If he can come up with a setting where I can use them I’ll be happy.

Thanks for clarifying the number of unset baguette pairs you have and may end up with if you get a more slimmer tapered pair. If you like your current pair that much, then incorporating them into the new ring makes wonderful sense I don’t usually see not-as-tapered ones like yours so I think they’ll be a subtle and unusual design element.

Also - just to clarify, you won’t be out too much financially from last year’s setting since David is re-using as much as possible? That’s always good for the budget! Yay!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for clarifying the number of unset baguette pairs you have and may end up with if you get a more slimmer tapered pair. If you like your current pair that much, then incorporating them into the new ring makes wonderful sense I don’t usually see not-as-tapered ones like yours so I think they’ll be a subtle and unusual design element.

Also - just to clarify, you won’t be out too much financially from last year’s setting since David is re-using as much as possible? That’s always good for the budget! Yay!
Thank you but I’m out big time..The setting from last year cost me $5k. I’m getting $120 for the 18k gold from David. If I reuse the baguettes that will be great..but I have to eat that cost which hurts a little TBH. :cry2:

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you but I’m out big time..The setting from last year cost me $5k. I’m getting $120 for the 18k gold from David. If I reuse the baguettes that will be great..but I have to eat that cost which hurts a little TBH. :cry2:

Ouch Can definitely see why it would hurt a bit. But on the bright side - you’ve waited aaaaaages to get this type of setting, and you definitely know what you don’t want now. So onwards to that design for David and show us all the CADs and we’ll all be here helping you along to the right setting that’ll bring you joy every time you look at it

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ouch Can definitely see why it would hurt a bit. But on the bright side - you’ve waited aaaaaages to get this type of setting, and you definitely know what you don’t want now. So onwards to that design for David and show us all the CADs and we’ll all be here helping you along to the right setting that’ll bring you joy every time you look at it
Thank you @Wanaka..I’m looking forward to
It!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t mean to sound pushy but if you are only getting 120 in credit for gold, please keep the setting as is!! He can easily reset your baguettes and then you have an alternate setting for a rhr that sits low!!!! Or you can easily sell it on Loup troop and use the proceeds for the tapered baguettes and the look you are after.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t mean to sound pushy but if you are only getting 120 in credit for gold, please keep the setting as is!! He can easily reset your baguettes and then you have an alternate setting for a rhr that sits low!!!! Or you can easily sell it on Loup troop and use the proceeds for the tapered baguettes and the look you are after.
You’re right @nala I would have done that but I’m really leaning towards just using the baguettes I have now. I have to feel like I’m not totally scratching that last setting. I know the baguettes that were in there cost more than what he says he can get new ones for. I had requested very well cut vvs clarity g color baguettes when I had that ring made last year..and they had to source them..It makes me feel better to use them...and although I think everyone is right..a more tapered baguette will probably look more fluid in the setting...I really like their shape. Once he takes the baguettes out of that setting it’s just gold...I don’t think anyone would buy the setting without baguettes...I toyed with leaving them in and getting a blue sapphire to put in the setting...but I know myself...I wouldn’t get much wear out if it and I’m putting out more money both for the new baguettes and now a sapphire. This will be the third setting of the diamond I had made from scratch..The 14k gold ring I sent with the new setting is something I wouldn’t wear again. It had baguettes..not the same quality but decent quality and four diamonds. I’m saving the diamonds from that setting and hope to put all the leftover diamonds in charm similiar to @mrs-b ‘s charm..but definitely not a copy..I’m going to throw every leftover diamond in any shape..baguettes and all in as memory to my crazy resets..:lol: I’m only getting $88 for the 14k meltdown of that setting which cost me 2k not counting the diamonds because I had them already...They were left over from reset number one! :lol-2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean please do NOT melt the existing setting! That’d be a huge waste!

I’d have David source you two sapphire baguettes and one CZ. Either use the setting or sell it. You’d be surprised what people will buy sometimes. I couldn’t find a pic with a round, but here are inspiration pics.
CF7C9A42-5DCF-4DB1-9501-68F329D06BF3.jpeg
5077CE85-780C-4C7D-B8BD-5A1F9FAAC7E4.jpeg 072060EA-F5CE-4B97-A367-D572A4D27A77.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean please do NOT melt the existing setting! That’d be a huge waste!

I’d have David source you two sapphire baguettes and one CZ. Either use the setting or sell it. You’d be surprised what people will buy sometimes. I couldn’t find a pic with a round, but here are inspiration pics.
CF7C9A42-5DCF-4DB1-9501-68F329D06BF3.jpeg
5077CE85-780C-4C7D-B8BD-5A1F9FAAC7E4.jpeg 072060EA-F5CE-4B97-A367-D572A4D27A77.jpeg
Okay..I just emailed David that if it isn’t melted now that I want it. Now I’m worried it’s melted..:oops2: I could put an aquamarine in there..or a zircon..I hope he reads my email before it goes to the melter...Fingers and toes crossed!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay..I just emailed David that if it isn’t melted now that I want it. Now I’m worried it’s melted..:oops2: I could put an aquamarine in there..or a zircon..I hope he reads my email before it goes to the melter...Fingers and toes crossed!
I hope not! I also personally wouldn’t sell the other setting, I’d put it on eBay or FB market. I have sold multiple used settings for significantly more than what the gold value alone is. Even if you sell the old setting for as little, at least someone else will get to wear an enjoy it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope not! I also personally wouldn’t sell the other setting, I’d put it on eBay or FB market. I have sold multiple used settings for significantly more than what the gold value alone is. Even if you sell the old setting for as little, at least someone else will get to wear an enjoy it.
Ok I’ve never sold anything before so I’m quite intimidated by the process. I’m now worried and considering calling them when the store opens instead of waiting for him to read my email..I’m sure he has hundreds waiting for him to read..

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I’ve never sold anything before so I’m quite intimidated by the process. I’m now worried and considering calling them when the store opens instead of waiting for him to read my email..I’m sure he has hundreds waiting for him to read..

Definitely call. Or text Amy. It would be a shame to melt that setting down.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saved it! I should say you all saved it! Thank you! I’m asking him to find me an alternative stone for the baguettes..maybe white sapphire..I asked him if it sparkles..I need to hunt for a center stone...:kiss2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saved it! I should say you all saved it! Thank you! I’m asking him to find me an alternative stone for the baguettes..maybe white sapphire..I asked him if it sparkles..I need to hunt for a center stone...:kiss2:
Yay great news! If you want something sparkly and white, I would look for a lab stone. Otherwise, I’d pick colored baguettes. I just recently purchased a white sapphire, it is lovely, but it has a very different performance compared to a diamond.

Did you save the second setting? We can help you sell it! I just think that you are getting very little trade in value for it :(

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay great news! If you want something sparkly and white, I would look for a lab stone. Otherwise, I’d pick colored baguettes. I just recently purchased a white sapphire, it is lovely, but it has a very different performance compared to a diamond.

Did you save the second setting? We can help you sell it! I just think that you are getting very little trade in value for it :(
The second one is gone..except for the diamonds..:(2 but the 18k new expensive setting is saved so I feel lucky! :P2
I’m not sure I want colored sapphire baguettes..I want the baguettes to be clear whatever they are. I asked David for suggestions...I’ll see what he comes up with..Thank you for your help!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got the cad from David. What do you think? Do I need windows under the baguettes? I realize not many people would like this setting but from what I described above..what do you think...other than the baguettes? I’m keeping those because I’m not buying any more baguettes..:lol-2:
@nala @SimoneDi @arkieb1 @Slick1 @Austina @AlexT @Bonfire
@mrs-b
There’s too many people to ask..but please chime in..Thank you! :kiss2:
90BBD0FA-0736-4383-84BA-ACCD0138958C.jpeg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good. I do not think you need the gallery open beneath the baguettes. That’s a style preference. What I would do is have him smooth out where the bar at the bottom of the baguette meets the shank. I had that once and it was not smooth and it bothered me. It can still be exaggerated, just less so perhaps.
Also, I like prongs for the top of the baguettes rather than the bars.
Is there any way he can make the six prong head look less like a peg head and appear more integrated? Hmmm :doh:
How do you like it?

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I like the new CAD but I would want a more refined head. Maybe a six prong crown head? If you decide to change the top bar holding the baguettes into prongs, maybe it could split out to be prongs for the baguettes and the main stone....the head would feel more integrated with the ring. I hope I am making sense. Though if you keep it as is, you can easily change the head to accommodate different size stones. But what do you think of it?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
B5D8571C-2C9D-431E-A1D9-31A0F16509E1.jpeg I
looked around online and I didn’t see prongs holding the baguettes. I did see more of a gypsy set baguette where the end near the shank was more flush. I think it needs windows in the side.
I see two styles that I tweaked..It’s hard to write with my finger but you can get the idea. It looks more incorporated. I would like the prongs to be higher than this pic..to separate the head from the baguettes..or maybe do without the windows under the baguettes so they would be lower and more of the head is showing..Thoughts? Thank you!

Attachments

• 4C19CFC7-9BD8-46CC-9F99-754E5CA57E38.jpeg
    4C19CFC7-9BD8-46CC-9F99-754E5CA57E38.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results