shape
carat
color
clarity

Hypothetical Poll: Upgrade vs. Luxury Watch

Upgrade, or watch?

• 1) Get an upgrade now, before "kidney" is part of the official asking price.

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • 2) Watch, you'll feel luxe every time you realize you're running late - it'll literalize the concept

Votes: 15 19.5%

• Total voters

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1309297046|2957322 said:
Lula|1309291703|2957246 said:
I tend to be very particular about liking rectangular faces and metal bracelets, which are oddly hard to find - the Parmiagani and the various Cartier tanks are the only ones that have ever really stood out. Would love tips on other options!
Jaeger! Jaeger! (As TG mentioned before as "JLC").

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1309403173|2958665 said:
I luuuuuuuuuuuurve her center-stone. Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve.

Stylistically, though, the clean lines of the Etienne Perret you posted on the first page is probably closer to what I want, only with open sides and v-tips ... and the "crescent" below acting as an understated halo, almost (no idea who to contact for this - my gut says either Greenlake for, a) the clean lines and, b) the amazing job they did for MAChick (https://www.pricescope.com/communit...greenlake-jewelry-works-custom-setting.45411/), or Victor Canera for the astonishingly beautiful work I've seen him do with french cuts). Plenty of time to work out the kinks - my anniversary isn't until Halloween! Now I just get to hunt and hunt and hunt for the perfect marquise ....

Oooh, how could I forget MAChick's gorgeous marquise?! LOVE. I can totally envision the setting you're describing. So the crescent halo would show beyond the edges of the center stone? Sort of like that Tacori setting with the teensy halo?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO QUESTION I would get a HUGE antique diamond and set it in a bezel if that is the style you want. The biggest I could get, the chunkiest facets I could get.

I have two kids and other than the period of time when my rings did not fit (from about 34 weeks to about 6-8 weeks post-partum) I wore/will wear my solitaire every day all day. I love it and have only scratched my older son once 8) It was just a surface scratch, nothing major. :cheeky: So my point is, if you WANT to rock your bling all the time with kids, you totally can. So take that off the radar as a consideration in my opinion. A bezel is so practical, too, that it makes it a total non-issue.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both? Haha.

If you end up spending 18k on the RHR, you can still get a respectable automatic mechanical watch with the remainder.

And yes, I know, mechanical watches do not keep as accurate time, but BUT I do love the history and the soul, and isn't that why so many of us love OEC diamonds too? Not because it has the optimal light return or most exact angles, but because we think they are beautiful, evocative pieces of history.

I should be receiving my Ball watch today, it's one of America's oldest companies (Swiss parts), named after Webster Ball who used to be Chief inspector of the railroads. Back in the day, watches weren't always reliable and after a big train accident due to a watch being off by 20 minutes, Mr. Ball set strict standards for all his rail road conductors to prevent further accidents of that sort. Honestly, I chose this watch in part because I read excellent things about its mechanics (it's also pretty sturdy for those of you who are tough on your watches) and in part because I love all the history of this company. Yes, your cell phone has more accurate time for cheap, but you know, a nice moissanite has a lot of flash and sparkle too, but we still all love our diamonds.

And I like being the girl in the boys club of watches. Other women might compliment your ring more openly, but I bet if you wear a Patek, you'll see a lot more men craning their necks your way. And I would say if you work in business or around a lot of men with money, they'd probably recognize and respect a nice automatic watch over a huge diamond because, well, they probably love to buy themselves watches and only begrudgingly buy their wives diamonds. :cheeky: Not too many women really have a passion or understanding for watches outside the big jewelry brands, so I think men who geek out on watches (and a lot of well off men I know do because it's their version of jewelry) really take notice when a woman is not only sporting a great tasteful watch, but can tell you more about it than just where she bought it from.

But that's just my 2 cents, honestly I'd just buy one of each! 18k on the ring, 2k on a nice automatic.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and here is an interesting take on why watch geeks love their mechanical watches over their quartz or their cell phones, haha.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=2224&rid=2

As for the cell phone argument, I've found that there are times you just can't politely check your cell phone for time. For example, in a meeting or interview, it's very obvious and rude if you whip our your cellphone to check the time, but what you can do is discreetly check your watch and move things along accordingly! Or when giving a talk or presentation, I need to have a watch so I can keep track of how much time is left, it would look silly of me to keep checking my phone.

Also, I travel a lot, and people on planes are constantly asking me what time it is since they can't have their cell phones on.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1310648496|2968698 said:
And I like being the girl in the boys club of watches. Other women might compliment your ring more openly, but I bet if you wear a Patek, you'll see a lot more men craning their necks your way. And I would say if you work in business or around a lot of men with money, they'd probably recognize and respect a nice automatic watch over a huge diamond because, well, they probably love to buy themselves watches and only begrudgingly buy their wives diamonds. :cheeky: Not too many women really have a passion or understanding for watches outside the big jewelry brands, so I think men who geek out on watches (and a lot of well off men I know do because it's their version of jewelry) really take notice when a woman is not only sporting a great tasteful watch, but can tell you more about it than just where she bought it from.

But that's just my 2 cents, honestly I'd just buy one of each! 18k on the ring, 2k on a nice automatic.
not true...i'll bet that 90% of men never heard of Patek Philippe.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I'd spend 6k on a watch and 14k on the upgrade.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1310659840|2968829 said:

DF, there are A LOT of men that ARE into watches. I'm amazed how many men and women comment on SO's watches when we're out and actually know their stuff.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF: 90% of men probably don't recognize a Patek, but if you tend to keep company with the 10% that do, then it makes an impression.

I actually just got my new watch today, and I'm loving it. It doesn't bother me that almost nobody will recognize the brand except maybe other watch enthusiasts, but I adore listening to it go tick tick tick!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'd say antique diamond- are you shocked :naughty: and surprised yet? :devil:

First of all, I think it'd be your best bang for the buck. Well, I guess a marquise would be a good buy at the moment, with them not being quite so popular right now, but, that would also make *finding* a good marquise a PITA, you know?

I have some nice antique watches- more like dainty, dressy, filigree diamond watches than larger, pricier modern name brand ones like it sounds like you're considering. I like them but I definitely get more enjoyment & wear out of my rings. It's all too easy to just look at your cell or whatever for the time, so I'm not particularly careful about putting on a watch in the AM. So, in short- I'd say go for a diamond!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1310663956|2968878 said:

DF, there are A LOT of men that ARE into watches. I'm amazed how many men and women comment on SO's watches when we're out and actually know their stuff.

AN...if we go to a shopping mall and remdomly pick 100 men and ask them the Q...have you ever heard of PP,AP or JLC watches? i'll guarantee that 90% will say "NO"...Rolex "YES"

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1310666726|2968937 said:
DF: 90% of men probably don't recognize a Patek, but if you tend to keep company with the 10% that do, then it makes an impression.

I actually just got my new watch today, and I'm loving it. It doesn't bother me that almost nobody will recognize the brand except maybe other watch enthusiasts, but I adore listening to it go tick tick tick!

most of my friends came from the gettos.. :bigsmile:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I would get the watch. Personally, I just feel like if you're gonna be sporting big diamonds, you should have a nice watch, too. Whether you want to spend $20k on it is another question. I got my JLC Reverso Classique for my college graduation and have been wearing it ever since, and it will definitely be a while before I get a new watch.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
mscushion|1310724667|2969508 said:
I would get the watch. Personally, I just feel like if you're gonna be sporting big diamonds, you should have a nice watch, too. Whether you want to spend $20k on it is another question. I got my JLC Reverso Classique for my college graduation and have been wearing it ever since, and it will definitely be a while before I get a new watch.

Well said.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely get an upgrade. A watch might break or go out of style. You'll have the diamond to enjoy forever!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lula|1310740201|2969622 said:

Well said.

Really? Does that mean I should spend more on my clothing as well? I can't afford it after buying my diamond ;(

But I suppose Circe is in a different situation since she *has* a busget for a watch or diamond or what have you.

Still, do we really need to match the luxury level of all our accessories?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1310872241|2970652 said:

Well said.

Really? Does that mean I should spend more on my clothing as well? I can't afford it after buying my diamond ;(

But I suppose Circe is in a different situation since she *has* a busget for a watch or diamond or what have you.

oh you must!!.... ;))

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Well said.
But I suppose Circe is in a different situation since she *has* a budget for a watch or diamond or what have you.
No. Of course we splurge on whatever piece(s) we feel most passionate about. But the bold part is exactly it -- we're talking about a lot of disposable income to be spent on something or other. And it's just my sense of aesthetic that two hands full of major caratage should be matched by a nice wristwatch. And by some decent-looking clothes, yes.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1310687655|2969220 said:
Autumnovember|1310663956|2968878 said:

AN...if we go to a shopping mall and remdomly pick 100 men and ask them the Q...have you ever heard of PP,AP or JLC watches? i'll guarantee that 90% will say "NO"...Rolex "YES"

Right on with the Rolex, but I think a lot more people would know about AP, PP and JLC than you think. Also, it depends what mall we're taking these men from.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
RHR here too. I'd get an OEC or a Transitional with a bezel. You can still get some decent deals on some of the 'real' antique diamonds. I'd get mine set in a Mc2 Flora setting (there is one of them that has a bezel). Love those settings.

I know you said cushion though... I don't know I'd probably call Mark at ERD and see what he could source me. Nothing too chunky or too splintery for me. And probably a rectangle, though I prefer squares, because I think rectangular cushions look bigger.

I saw a lovely antique marquise the other day... where was that???

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

100% get what you're saying and about 90% of the time thats how it usually is. That isn't to say that I have not seen people who have smaller diamonds rocking crazy expensive watches but usually its the other way around...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
mscushion|1310940730|2970969 said:
Well said.
But I suppose Circe is in a different situation since she *has* a budget for a watch or diamond or what have you.
No. Of course we splurge on whatever piece(s) we feel most passionate about. But the bold part is exactly it -- we're talking about a lot of disposable income to be spent on something or other. And it's just my sense of aesthetic that two hands full of major caratage should be matched by a nice wristwatch. And by some decent-looking clothes, yes.

I suspect that *if* I had the money to get a 20k upgrade then I would also have the money for nicer clothing. But I would still shop the sale racks and would not wear name brands and would not wear a designer watch. I guess that is my aesthetic. I wonder what Circe's is? Somewhere between I suspect.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1311003038|2971413 said:
mscushion|1310940730|2970969 said:
Well said.

I suspect that *if* I had the money to get a 20k upgrade then I would also have the money for nicer clothing. But I would still shop the sale racks and would not wear name brands and would not wear a designer watch. I guess that is my aesthetic. I wonder what Circe's is? Somewhere between I suspect.

Heheh - I've given myself the morning to play on PS after a day full of doctor's appointments yesterday, and I realized I'd never responded to this! And that I was kind of curious to see where my head had been back in July as compared to now ....

I think I'm definitely in-between when it comes to the even-flow-of-quality issue. Generally, my jewelry is A LOT nicer than anything else I own. I can shell out the bucks for jewelry without batting an eye, but I have to admit, a tiny Puritanical part of me bugs its eyes at the notion of 10K purses. HOW is that different from the luxury product of jewelry? Practically speaking, it isn't (and one could possibly argue that, hey, at least a purse can be used to carry stuff). But, nevertheless ....

So, I also shop the sales racks (and, generally, the sales racks at the discount stores - I don't think I've bought a piece of clothing that isn't either from a vintage shop or the sales rack of a discount store in ... 5 years? More, probably). And I've been wearing my Tag watch for 17 years now (with the occasional dip into a fashion Fossil piece, or the like). But I do tend to go for fancy-schmancy quality at the vintage shops and discount stores - just, you know, at Walmart prices - the same way that I'll compulsively hunt for deals on jewelry. I think I'd break out in a rash if I paid retail! So I dunno what to call my aesthetic. Frugal hedonist? :devil:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a watch person. I use my mobile phone to tell time if I need to and I've just bought myself a grown up, dress up, gold, diamond, and sapphire watch for fancy occasions. That's enough for me so I'd go with a large diamond ring.

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
The diamond hands down for me. I am happy with my little Brighton inexpensive watch.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
For the ladies who love rectangular watches (me too!), have you looked at the Girard Perregaux Vintage 1945 line? I really like them.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
Definitely a luxury watch for me...if I had an extra 20K lying around :naughty:! If I were to get a RHR as an upgrade I'd want something large (4-5 ct AVC perhaps...I can dream can't I?!). In other words...waaay above 20K!

I could pick up a nice Patek or IWC for that. And although I don't care about others recognizing the brand, I do think many people in the corporate world (both men and women) look at others watches. I see alot of watch ogling in Consulting! I also do think it's more profession to check one's watch for the time, as opposed to using a cell phone, especially in meetings and in front of clients. You don't know how many starting analysts I've had to advise to not bring their cell phones to a client meeting! I do wish there were as many options for luxury women's watches as there are for men though! I am dying for a A. Lange & Sohne....clearly much more than 20K. :((

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SC86|1316628043|3022266 said:
Definitely a luxury watch for me...if I had an extra 20K lying around :naughty:! If I were to get a RHR as an upgrade I'd want something large (4-5 ct AVC perhaps...I can dream can't I?!). In other words...waaay above 20K!

I could pick up a nice Patek or IWC for that. And although I don't care about others recognizing the brand, I do think many people in the corporate world (both men and women) look at others watches. I see alot of watch ogling in Consulting! I also do think it's more profession to check one's watch for the time, as opposed to using a cell phone, especially in meetings and in front of clients. You don't know how many starting analysts I've had to advise to not bring their cell phones to a client meeting! I do wish there were as many options for luxury women's watches as there are for men though! I am dying for a A. Lange & Sohne....clearly much more than 20K. :((
here ya go... ;))
http://www.prestigetime.com/item/A.-Lange---Sohne/The-Little-Lange-1-Moonphase/819.048.html

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'd go upgrade..... I like nice watches- but to be honest, I don't "get" luxury watches. They're not my thing. They're almost too subtle for me given the outlay of cash.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results