shape
carat
color
clarity

Husband's and decorating...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am usually the one to take the initiative to start a new project but I do drag stuff home or drag him to the store for his opinion. I have found through the years that he is more opinionated about things than even he thinks he is! I would not want to live in a house where I had no input in the décor so I assume he doesn't either. He actually has a pretty good eye for things so I value his opinion.

HOWEVER, if you asked him this question, he would tell you that he doesn't really care and is usually pleased with what I pick. Clearly that is only partially true - husbands!!

VL - I am delighted to see you here and applaud your clean out and decorating process. I know it can't be easy but it is necessary. Your wife sounds like she was clearly a complex person - very accomplished yet very practical. I'm sure you made her life better and richer!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a non-opinionated husband, plus we completely renovated our house, so there were a number of years you could find us any given weekend in Lowes or Home depot arguing in the garden center which patio bricks, or kitchen center what cabinets for the kitchen (lol).
He has a BFA in art and a background in renovations and so has specific ideas, the main thing that as much of the "original" should be retained or reused (when sometimes, I just want pretty and new) and also things that are utilitarian. He likes things that were originally found in labs, hospitals, schools, and repurposing them for the house. And it is true many of those things are very sturdy, made of things like stainless steel and industrial grade so they do last. Thankfully there is an overlap of things we both like, and those are the things that have ended up in the house. He has particular ideas about paint colors but we can also find a point of agreement. All the "soft" items like bedding, pillows, rugs, shower curtains etc he does not care much about so I'm the one who buys those.

One area we are different is he is a bit of a hoarder, there are stacks of bricks in the backyard, both wood and furniture and who knows what in the crawlspace and in the sideyard, and the attic is stuffed with furniture as well as books and other materials we are not using, that he refuses to get rid of as he may find a use for it someday. Since it is something important to him I ignore it the best I can.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband, an engineer, has absolutely no interest in decorating. It's like pulling teeth to try to get him to give an opinion about anything. He knows I love interior design so he's pretty good about accepting his frequently changing environment. He is wonderful about assembling things, moving furniture around, hanging things etc, so I think we make a pretty good team.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
My husband is very into home design. He likes picking furnishings and takes pride in doing custom woodwork, trim work, etc. on his own, likes looking at Restoration Hardware catalogs, likes thinking about landscape lighting options. But we've recently been doing some major renovations at home and I've noticed he is weirdly NOT into planning all the reno details and I have no idea why! :confused: I basically picked the bathtub, shower head, fixtures, etc. on my own, and he didn't care about anything beyond the tile.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CB is only aware of what goes on in the house because he is tasked with carrying new stuff in and old stuff out!

"Honey, would you please help me put this shag rug under the bed and take this old rug to the Salvation Army."

That's his *clue* something has occurred in the decorating realm! :cheeky:

Bill however did have opinions. And we all see what that got him! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results