shape
carat
color
clarity

Husband still hasn''t found a new job

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, SH. I appreciate the support.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lumpkin, nothing productive to add, just that I''m really sorry to hear this, and you and your hubby are in my thoughts.
emrose.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 10:39:16 AM
Author:lumpkin
In November I posted about my husband being riffed after 27 years at his company. The company outsourced the entire department over seas, and only one person in the department was left to coordinate between the overseas people and the company.

He has literally applied for over a hundred jobs. He is getting very discouraged, naturally. Fortunately we are in very good shape financially for the next six months or so, but after that it is going to get desperate around here.

I cannot be the breadwinner of our household. First of all, I am the more effective parent by far -- hubby just does not have the patience to be the primary care giver of the kids. I am not qualified for a job that would make putting them in day care profitable. SOOOO, I am looking for a way to do data entry, desk top publishing, etc. at home. I have looked on line but everything seems to be a scam to get you to buy into a marketing plan. If anyone has any suggestions I would be so grateful if you would share them.

Also, my hubby has been extremely organized about his job hunting. He has a binder with a copy of information and notes on every company he has applied for, dates and times he''s contacted them, etc. He has been following up well and is going to some job networking meetings once a week. I think it''s his age, honestly. He''s got all kinds of experience and education and he''s been told he wants too much money, but in looking up what the average pay for the jobs he''s applying for he''s finding he''s asking on the low end of the scale. If anyone has any advice on this, or past experiences to share, please do!

TIA.
I''m sorry Lumpkin.... what sort of work does he do? The only advice I have is to do it all again. And again. Just keep truckin''. Would you consider moving?

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Lumpkin,

I''m sorry to hear about your husband''s job search situation and I hope things improve soon.

I''m sure that your husband is doing all he can but he needs to remember also to be flexible. There are many issues and things that appear non-negotiable if you have a six-month cushion for a job search. However, six months can go by faster than we realize and there are health insurance benefits, etc. that must be addressed eventually even if there is still money in the bank.

I understand the feelings about being close to family members, etc. and the issues relating to selling the house as well. But, better to explore options now than when things get tight and desperate. I''m not suggesting that he should look all over the country, but there must be other places in the Midwest where the job market is doing better and good feedback from ANY potential employer is an ego booster and can provide options. Options should be discussed and explored before things get scary, is all.

Also, it makes sense to look at your lifestyle to see if there are any corners that can be cut (hopefully, temporarily) so that you all feel that you are doing your best in an insecure situation. Prioritize your spending to handle the most basic and necessary minimums. It could help stretch the six-month cushion to a seven or eight-month cushion.

Perhaps you can do some temp work in the evenings and weekends while your husband is available to watch the children?

I hope that good news comes your way very soon.

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Im really sorry to hear the company did that very low
38.gif
I will put your family in my prayers. Although I dont have any solutions for the right now I do know a few SAHM that do medical billing and transcriptioning out of thier home they did have to go through some training certification but maybe you could go ahead and complete it now for a just in case situation. Again I am sending hope your alls way!!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Hoping things turn for the better for your family. Hang in there both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results