shape
carat
color
clarity

Hubby said yes to a 3 stone EC diamond ring for our 40th!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald cuts are nothing like rounds where we have a specific set of specs that equals ideal cut. It takes seeing a lot of stones to recognize well cut ones with all fancy cut diamonds. If your H color diamond doesn't bother you, I'd definitely recommend expanding your search to at least G color because you may have trouble staying under $50k with F VS1 3 ct center, sides, and setting. The one thing I can recommend that you avoid are ECs with a huge table and flat crown. I personally look for a table at 65% or less and a nice crown view from the side.

You are doing the best thing going to see Yekutiel and seeing stones in person. You will need to make an appointment and tell him what you are looking for so that he can call in a few stones for you to look at. No jeweler just happens to have multiple 3 ct F color emerald cut diamonds on hand.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All. I finally got to make an appointment with Yekutiel for Monday. But, in the meantime, I've been scouring the main PS vendors. I'm putting in unlimited $ in the search bar, going from D-H in color and IF-VS2 clarity, for EC's just to see what comes up. Most of them have zero results or just a few. Then I went to JA and they have loads. The stats were not what I was looking for, for the most part, but the prices seemed less than some of the other sites. Are the JA stones not quite up to par, or should I say, lower on the quality bar to draw people in for the price??

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
OK. So, something weird happened to my last post. I hope I didn’t say something wrong.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. So, something weird happened to my last post. I hope I didn’t say something wrong.

I wouldn’t think anything of it @momofive. Maybe you replied to someone but they deleted their post so yours went with it. It happens..

I‘m excited to see what you decide to get!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
On that post I was just mentioning that while I’m waiting to go to IDJ I went on other PS recommended sites but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of inventory for EC’s, even after I expanded my search parameters, just for the heck of it. Like, $300,000!! I mentioned that JA has a lot, but the quality doesn’t appear that great. (Not that I’m an expert at all).
The Costco ring looks great, but I haven’t even tried on a 3 stone EC yet and I want to see, touch and know everything about my diamond. This is a major purchase and I want to have fun with it and learn along the way. I’ll let you know how I make out at IDJ next week. I’ll take as many photos and videos as I can in all different lights. I want to get PSr’s reviews before I would make any decision.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I can see your post from last night just fine! Good luck at IDJ-can’t wait to see what you find!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I will!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Wonder if Mr T will let me add this to my collection……. :lol-2:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the one video. I also asked for a video in a different light to show fire and flashes.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a hand shot. I'm sure it's the lighting, but I'm not seeing any fire. Am I crazy??

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
And still hand shots

Tiffany 1.jpeg Tiffany 2.jpeg
I wouldn’t think anything of it @momofive. Maybe you replied to someone but they deleted their post so yours went with it. It happens..

I‘m excited to see what you decide to get!

Hi MamaBee. What are your specs on your 3 stone EC? It's beautiful and has nice finger coverage. That is my concern with the Tiffany ring.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I know there has to be flashes on this ring, but I'm not seeing anything and it looks dull to me.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Emeralds don’t have a ton of fire unless they are in certain lighting like jewelry store lighting. But these are particularly dead looking.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
And still hand shots

Tiffany 1.jpeg Tiffany 2.jpeg

Hi MamaBee. What are your specs on your 3 stone EC? It's beautiful and has nice finger coverage. That is my concern with the Tiffany .
Hi @momofive..We’re driving to Pa from Maryland. When I get home I’ll pull out the GIA reports.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I'm still going to IDJ on Monday, but what do you all think of this one? It's a little over the budget but not enough to break the bank.
Also, is anyone else not getting the PS newsletter? It always came on Wednesday. I didn't get one last week either.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. I'm still going to IDJ on Monday, but what do you all think of this one? It's a little over the budget but not enough to break the bank.
Also, is anyone else not getting the PS newsletter? It always came on Wednesday. I didn't get one last week either.

IMHO, I love the color and clarity combination, but I'm not seeing the steps flash off and on. It could be the lighting or the photography. I'm not sure. I think you really need to see them in person. I'm glad you are going on Monday.

I haven't gotten the newsletter in a long time.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fire is very lighting dependent and these videos are not designed to show fire.
It is very flat lighting with a lot of obstruction, exactly the opposite of what you want for fire.
Ask about pulling that stone in for you to look at in person at IDJ if your interested.
If its in NY they might be able to pull it in.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Fire is very lighting dependent and these videos are not designed to show fire.
It is very flat lighting with a lot of obstruction, exactly the opposite of what you want for fire.
Ask about pulling that stone in for you to look at in person at IDJ if your interested.
If its in NY they might be able to pull it in.

Thanks @Karl_K. Which videos are you speaking about. The Tiffany or the BN stone? I know the Tiffany ones are definitely not in the right light. I would think the vendor would know this. He has a store in DE which I would drive to, but I can’t get there for another 10 days.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@momofive Good luck with your search! I’ll be following intently! :)

Last week I went into Harry Winston and tried on a 3-stone 3ct center stone EC ring. At a cool $485k, it fit me perfectly physically but not fiscally.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Karl_K. Which videos are you speaking about. The Tiffany or the BN stone? I know the Tiffany ones are definitely not in the right light. I would think the vendor would know this. He has a store in DE which I would drive to, but I can’t get there for another 10 days.
All of them.
The spiny pictures vendors provide are the worst for not showing fire, they are not designed to because fire lighting hides the details of the diamond.
I was talking about the BN stone, there is a good chance they could pull it in for you to look at.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rhino of Distinctive Gem just posted an informative video on YouTube about emerald cuts. I thought it might be helpful.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@momofive -

I really hope you bought that BN EC. It's my absolute favorite shape (gives a pillowy look), and not that common. Gorgeous diamond.

Also - just my 2c - I love a 3 stone ring, and I love ECs. But I'd steer away from getting a three stone EC ring where the sides are too large. It gives great finger coverage - sure - but it looks lumpy, in my opinion, and large sides swallow the center stone. Given that a 3 stone ring in round brilliants only touch slightly on a single point, you can still fully see all three diamonds. But with EC's, the three stones share so much of their sides, they can sort of meld into one big blob.

@MamaBee's 3 stone has nicely proportioned sides - visible, but not to large - which still allows the center stone to shine. But much larger than that and it becomes a bit 'lost in the wash'. The same can be true of traps - which is why I prefer tapered baguettes. This is one of those situations where smaller is better.

For what it's worth, I'm posting a photo of the EC 3 stone I made a while back. It's since been sold to another PSer. It's not what you're looking for but - oooooh - it was a beauty! And that EC sparkled like liquid gold!

I wish you well with you project and will enjoy following along. :wavey:

20200619_125607.jpg

20200626_103753.jpg

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @momofive..We’re driving to Pa from Maryland. When I get home I’ll pull out the GIA reports.

Hi. MammaBee.
Just a reminder to look up your specs when you get a chance. Thanks.
@Rhino of Distinctive Gem just posted an informative video on YouTube about emerald cuts. I thought it might be helpful.

thank you! I’ll take all the help I can get.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
@momofive -

I really hope you bought that BN EC. It's my absolute favorite shape (gives a pillowy look), and not that common. Gorgeous diamond.

Also - just my 2c - I love a 3 stone ring, and I love ECs. But I'd steer away from getting a three stone EC ring where the sides are too large. It gives great finger coverage - sure - but it looks lumpy, in my opinion, and large sides swallow the center stone. Given that a 3 stone ring in round brilliants only touch slightly on a single point, you can still fully see all three diamonds. But with EC's, the three stones share so much of their sides, they can sort of meld into one big blob.

@MamaBee's 3 stone has nicely proportioned sides - visible, but not to large - which still allows the center stone to shine. But much larger than that and it becomes a bit 'lost in the wash'. The same can be true of traps - which is why I prefer tapered baguettes. This is one of those situations where smaller is better.

For what it's worth, I'm posting a photo of the EC 3 stone I made a while back. It's since been sold to another PSer. It's not what you're looking for but - oooooh - it was a beauty! And that EC sparkled like liquid gold!

I wish you well with you project and will enjoy following along. :wavey:

20200619_125607.jpg

20200626_103753.jpg

Thank you so much Mrs. B. My daughter is visiting from PA and we were discussing that exact thing. I haven’t decided on what the side stones will be yet, but I definitely want them in the right proportion because I want the center stone to be the star. It’s funny. I’ve always been drawn to rectangle shaped stones. My first diamond was .33 pear. Funny thing, my husband thought it was a heart shape when he bought it (all by himself). I was glad it wasn’t! My first upgrade was a radiant and then my current ring is also a radiant. But like I said in the first posting, I saw a beautiful EC and can’t seem to get that out of my head. I’m looking forward to the hunt!
Your ring is beautiful. I don’t know how you parted with those stones! I’ve read about the pain you’re having and I hope the procedure you’re going to have will do the trick. I have a friend who had major back surgery a few months ago. He had so much wrong with his back. I saw him at a wedding this past weekend and I said to him, “I bet you didn’t believe you would be dancing at a wedding 6 months ago.” But he was.
I put a hold on the BN stone and at Karl’s suggestion I think I’ll have it sent to the BN store near me. They have a 30 day return policy. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to going to IDJ on Monday to see what Yuketiel comes up with. I’ve read a lot of great reviews from him in several venues, including PS.

Keep the Faith And thanks again!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@momofive Here you go!
Center diamond 3.01ctw 9.98x7.28x4.68 G VVS1
1st side diamond .70 6.26x4.53x2.81 E VS1
2nd side diamond .70 6.22x4.41x2.82 F VS1

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
@momofive Here you go!
Center diamond 3.01ctw 9.98x7.28x4.68 G VVS1
1st side diamond .70 6.26x4.53x2.81 E VS1
2nd side diamond .70 6.22x4.41x2.82 F VS1

Thank you!!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
So. I've ordered the BN stone to come in to their store so I can see it in person. Should be here by Thursday. I'm looking forward to going to IDJ on Monday. I will take lots of photos.

I received my ASET scope today and tried it out with my 2.01 radiant (center diamond with halo) ring. Boy was I disappointed. Unless I'm not doing this properly, There was very little red looking straight down. More red showed up when I tilted it. Very little green and just some blue. I could see no pattern to the facets at all ( I don't know if I'm supposed to see any symmetry or pattern with radiants), but the worst part was I saw a lot of white! I could see right through the diamond to the white paper underneath. I bought this 12 years ago from a very good friend of a really good friend of mine. I said, I just wanted someone who would give me good advice and a quality diamond for the price. I didn't ask for any discount. The diamond does sparkle and I get lots of compliments, but I'm so glad I now have the ASET scope for my EC journey.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
So. I've ordered the BN stone to come in to their store so I can see it in person. Should be here by Thursday. I'm looking forward to going to IDJ on Monday. I will take lots of photos.

I received my ASET scope today and tried it out with my 2.01 radiant (center diamond with halo) ring. Boy was I disappointed. Unless I'm not doing this properly, There was very little red looking straight down. More red showed up when I tilted it. Very little green and just some blue. I could see no pattern to the facets at all ( I don't know if I'm supposed to see any symmetry or pattern with radiants), but the worst part was I saw a lot of white! I could see right through the diamond to the white paper underneath. I bought this 12 years ago from a very good friend of a really good friend of mine. I said, I just wanted someone who would give me good advice and a quality diamond for the price. I didn't ask for any discount. The diamond does sparkle and I get lots of compliments, but I'm so glad I now have the ASET scope for my EC journey.

I think you have to have a light source underneath. Find a white screen on your ipad or phone. You can use an old lid to hold the ring. Then use the ASET scope so it is flush with the lid.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results