shape
carat
color
clarity

How''s this one? Diamond update ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to the advice of you guys, I contacted GIA for some additional information to supplement the details on the cert for the diamond we are thinking about getting. They actually emailed me with the information and are so helpful. Thanks for the advice.

Can you please tell me what you think of this diamond now that you have the missing details?

Shape & Cutting Style -- Round Brilliant
Measurements - 6.99 - 7.04 x 4.28 MM

1.28 carats
E, VS2

Proportions
Depth - 61 %
Table - 55%
Crown angle - 33.5%
Pavilion depth - 43.0%

Girdle - Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet - None

Finish
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent

Fluorescence - None

Is this a good one? Is it, is it? Should I make it mine????
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, did you try plugging it in the HCA? I noticed it won''t let me plug the numbers; are those numbers right?

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
HCA 0.7, ex/ex/ex/vg, just w/in GIA "excellent," outside AGS "ideal." Why HCA might not work - note the crown # is an angle, not actually a percentage. The pavillion # is a percentage.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 5:23:17 PM
Author: Skippy123
Hmmm, did you try plugging it in the HCA? I noticed it won''t let me plug the numbers; are those numbers right?
Double checked the numbers and they are correct ... To clarify ....

15% Crown height

33.5 (degree??) Crown angle

43 % Pavillion depth (not angle)

Does this help?

I just don''t know how to interpret the results of the HCA ..

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 5:28:59 PM
Author: milton333
HCA 0.7, ex/ex/ex/vg, just w/in GIA ''excellent,'' outside AGS ''ideal.'' Why HCA might not work - note the crown # is an angle, not actually a percentage. The pavillion # is a percentage.
Thanks Milton,

Hmmm ... What does all of that mean?

Is it still a better than average diamond? It seems to me, based on the numbers to fall within the Tolkowsky Ideal Cut, doesn''t it?

Even though it doesn''t qualify as AGS "Ideal", will it still sparkle like all get out?
31.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 5:28:59 PM
Author: milton333
HCA 0.7, ex/ex/ex/vg, just w/in GIA 'excellent,' outside AGS 'ideal.' Why HCA might not work - note the crown # is an angle, not actually a percentage. The pavillion # is a percentage.
makes sense; I kept think something must be wrong. Thanks and sorry for the threadjack!

ETA: it means
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very good

Here is the link https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp The HCA is used to weed out bad performers and as long as it scores below a 2 you should be safe.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
That''s great news, Skippy. Thanks for your help!

I''ll let you know if I get it ... but for now ... I remain a LIW.
15.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
How would this diamond rate on Whiteflash? Would it be an ACA or close to it?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

The brand "A Cut Above" is bestowed when diamonds meet SEVERAL criteria, not just one. To qualify as an ACA stone, a diamond must:

--Achieve AGS0 grading
-- Exhibit superior light performance that satisfies Brian.
--Must display H&A pattern according to Brian''s stringent definition of H&A (found on the WF website). This includes:
Uniform hearts - equal in size and shape
Crisp pattern
Distinct separate of hearts from arrowheads
In the hearts, no cleift split greater than 8% for more than 2 hearts
All 8 arrows must be clearly visible with shaft and arrowhead
Arrow shafts and heads must be straight ANd in correct position
All 8 arrow points must meet the girdle

Taken from this thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aca-stone-rejects.57151/

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 6:46:27 PM
Author: Skippy123

The brand ''A Cut Above'' is bestowed when diamonds meet SEVERAL criteria, not just one. To qualify as an ACA stone, a diamond must:

--Achieve AGS0 grading
-- Exhibit superior light performance that satisfies Brian.
--Must display H&A pattern according to Brian''s stringent definition of H&A (found on the WF website). This includes:
Uniform hearts - equal in size and shape
Crisp pattern
Distinct separate of hearts from arrowheads
In the hearts, no cleift split greater than 8% for more than 2 hearts
All 8 arrows must be clearly visible with shaft and arrowhead
Arrow shafts and heads must be straight ANd in correct position
All 8 arrow points must meet the girdle

Taken from this thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aca-stone-rejects.57151/
Wow Skippy, you sound like a pro! Thanks for sharing the info you have learned with me.

Since this stone was GIA graded, I guess it could never be an ACA then, right? ...
8.gif

I guess what I am looking to determine is if this stone, taking all specs into consideration, is an excellent stone and worth the significant expenditure ... .What do you think? Is this a PSer worthy stone?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hey Skippy,

Look what I found ... I think I found my answer.

I found a stone on Whiteflash, 1.26 ct F VS1 - $11,050.00
It is an Expert Selection stone and it scored as Very Good on all the areas where the stone I was inquiring about rated Excellent and it is around the same price and 1.28 ct.

I found another one on Whiteflash, 1.24 ct F VS 2 - $9,138.00
Also an Expert Selection but it scored Exc & VG like mine.

It''s a little bit less than what I have been quoted as the price for mine but it is also an F color not E and a couple points lighter in carat weight so, all in all, maybe I am doing okay with my selection ...

I just want it to be "perfect" when I see it sitting in a setting. Oh boy ... How do you know, right?
40.gif

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen it with your own eyes? Looks like it would be beautiful on paper but it needs to sing to YOU.

Are you buying this locally?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''ve seen your stone and love it, then please don''t worry about all the numbers! We have a tendency to do that here! But an ACA would have a crown angle above 34%, so your stone would likely fall in their expert selection category. Look at some ACA proportions if you are trying to get close to an ACA.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 9:11:18 PM
Author: vivianv
Have you seen it with your own eyes? Looks like it would be beautiful on paper but it needs to sing to YOU.

Are you buying this locally?
Vivian, thanks for asking ... Yes, I have seen it!
36.gif
To my untrained, however, somewhat well informed, at this point, eye, it is gorgeous! I love it.

I am buying locally and am happy with this because I can see it and the pricing they have provided so far is really competitive with what I have seen from online vendors. The company I am dealing with is also not a traditional retail mall type store so this makes me happy ... my diamond is not helping them to pay for their excessive overhead.
Next time though ... I''m all about the ''e-ring''!
Somewhere along the way, I think that I have converted ... I will now consider an online purchase. I will definitely be suggesting it to anyone looking.

Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts. I appreciate your response.

I think my concern in determining whether or not this stone is "perfect" relates to not being ripped off. The mark up at some places is so high for diamonds and the quality can be sketchy so I am really trying to ensure that even though I love the way that it looks in person that it also looks good on paper so that I have covered all my bases and made the best choice as an educated consumer instead of falling for the "okey doke" like the average person who does not invest the time that I have to make sure that they get it right.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 10:09:46 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
If you''ve seen your stone and love it, then please don''t worry about all the numbers! We have a tendency to do that here! But an ACA would have a crown angle above 34%, so your stone would likely fall in their expert selection category. Look at some ACA proportions if you are trying to get close to an ACA.
Diamond Seeker,

Thanks for the advice ... You''re right about the numbers. They shouldn''t be that important, however, before I actually even started looking at PS, the numbers were important to me because they were the only way that I could quantify what I was seeking. How do you measure beautiful, right? Everyone claims that their diamonds are the most beautiful so I started to say, prove it to me. I became fixated on the "ideal range" numbers and told them to look for stones that fell within that range. As I have gained more knowledge, that range has decreased and I have tried to focus in on only the top echelon of what is considered ideal. Ideally, no bad pun intended, I would like to buy the best of what is available, however, I think I have reached the point of compromise or balance in that emotionally, I love this diamond and, in reality, this diamond is, numbers wise, a dynamic, specimen, even if not "technically" or "theoretically" perfect.

I appreciate your response ... and those of others on PS because even though I have loved this stone, I am now feeling more than comfortable with going through and actually purchasing it.

By the way, I love the diamond in your avatar ... is that yours? If so, it is lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results