shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set a wonky / not-so-good-symmetry asscher cut sapphire?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I have a 10x10 mm asscher cut peach sapphire with not-so-good symmetry in terms of the angles of the corners.

IMG_1868.jpg

I wanted to do a simple kite-set solitaire like below but the jeweller is hesitating as she says it might look weird, given the asymmetry.
Capture d’écran 2021-11-19 à 21.18.43.png
Capture d’écran 2021-11-19 à 21.19.13.png

Would it really be that bad?
Else, any ideas on an alternative design? I'm gutted; I really wanted the kite set...
But I guess this gives me an excuse to buy an Octavia cut-style moissanite? :lol:

Thanks all :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3183C76A-4508-458C-96B8-A2035EC8DC30.jpeg
I dont think ‘I’ would choose this classic, symmetrical 4- prong style for this stone.
I definitely would not proceed with this plan if the jeweler doesn’t have their heart into it to ‘make it work’ and look good.

I would choose a more rustic or asymmetrical style of solitaire (or asymmetrical cluster?) for this stone - I have an image in my head I know I’ve seen, if I can find an example - I’ll come back and link it.

if you love the stone and the setting and will wear it - it’s worth setting. Find someone to do the job that’s not reluctant about it. :)

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I would do it as a necklace with a generous bezel to fake some symmetry into the sapphire. The color is beautiful, it’s a good size and worn on the neck, I don’t think you’d be able to over analyze it.

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
3183C76A-4508-458C-96B8-A2035EC8DC30.jpeg
I dont think ‘I’ would choose this classic, symmetrical 4- prong style for this stone.
I definitely would not proceed with this plan if the jeweler doesn’t have their heart into it to ‘make it work’ and look good.

I would choose a more rustic or asymmetrical style of solitaire (or asymmetrical cluster?) for this stone - I have an image in my head I know I’ve seen, if I can find an example - I’ll come back and link it.

if you love the stone and the setting and will wear it - it’s worth setting. Find someone to do the job that’s not reluctant about it. :)

Oh my, thank you so much for the quick "render"! This is so helpful and I can now really "see" what it would look like!

I suppose this 4-prong is not the right style for the stone then. I'd really love it as a ring, but have no idea what would be a good setting for it now—I bought it with this specific solitaire style in mind :lol:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I would do it as a necklace with a generous bezel to fake some symmetry into the sapphire. The color is beautiful, it’s a good size and worn on the neck, I don’t think you’d be able to over analyze it.

Thank you for the input! I'll consider this, though my first choice would really be in a ring... I love the colour and the way it "sparkles"! :)
IMG_2014.jpg

Miss Confused

Rough_Rock
I would try to find a very good jewler than can do a double bezel that adjusts a bit for the wonkyness. Or with the color a halo would look amazing but may be a bit big

Another option if you really want prongs would be double prongs at each corner and orient the stone 90 degrees as to what is it so that current corner 1 and 2 are facing down on your hand as they are more similar while 3 and 4 are sharper

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It looks much prettier in your photos! I can see why you bought it, there is a very clean lustre to it. My suggestion is to make a cluster ring, which will draw attention away from its cut and more towards the playful arrangement/colours. So if you see this example, it’s a kite setting but tilted, so the emphasis is not on symmetry. 55DCD312-B338-4DC1-A6FF-DFD823B661F1.jpeg

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I would try to find a very good jewler than can do a double bezel that adjusts a bit for the wonkyness. Or with the color a halo would look amazing but may be a bit big

Another option if you really want prongs would be double prongs at each corner and orient the stone 90 degrees as to what is it so that current corner 1 and 2 are facing down on your hand as they are more similar while 3 and 4 are sharper

Thank you so much! I'm wary about bezels because I've heard they can make a stone look darker? But I will look into it! :)

It looks much prettier in your photos! I can see why you bought it, there is a very clean lustre to it. My suggestion is to make a cluster ring, which will draw attention away from its cut and more towards the playful arrangement/colours. So if you see this example, it’s a kite setting but tilted, so the emphasis is not on symmetry. 55DCD312-B338-4DC1-A6FF-DFD823B661F1.jpeg

Ah, I hadn't thought of a cluster! Thank you! :) Yes, it's such a pretty, lively thing once on your hand... I fell in love instantly!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asymmetrical cluster like @peacechick pictured is exactly what I was thinking!

or maybe something Cathy Waterman- ish collet-esque, still being asymmetrical though. Or heck - an antique looking collet would be just as pretty.

the stone does look lovely on your hand!
A simple solitaire will ‘blend’ the stone in with your skin tone - a bolder ring design will have some separation

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of a bezel and that stone is light so I wouldn’t worry too much about darkening. I love it. The double prong may work. May I ask where you bought it?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Asymmetrical cluster like @peacechick pictured is exactly what I was thinking!

or maybe something Cathy Waterman- ish collet-esque, still being asymmetrical though. Or heck - an antique looking collet would be just as pretty.

the stone does look lovely on your hand!
A simple solitaire will ‘blend’ the stone in with your skin tone - a bolder ring design will have some separation
I'm not familiar with Cathy Waterman's designs—thank you for giving me something new to research :kiss2: :kiss2:

You're right, it is quite close to my skin tone! I suppose if I set it as a solitaire it will simply disappear. :lol: I have quite a few other smaller stones, sapphires and spinels and tourmalines that are all less than a carat, so maybe I can find a way to incorporate these in...

926CD569-003B-4E88-9D20-B5929E55C723.JPG

I like the idea of a bezel and that stone is light so I wouldn’t worry too much about darkening. I love it. The double prong may work. May I ask where you bought it?

The jeweller I approached for the setting did actually suggest double prongs as a compromise! Will it really work? :D

Else, a bezel seems interesting too... I only have one other, super simple bezel ring (diamond). I wonder how thick / high a bezel would be for this stone? The sapphire measures 7.4 mm deep! :oops2:

I bought it from @the_collection_ph on Instagram!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results