carat
color
clarity

How Would You Set a 58ct Cushion Cut Kunzite

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
1072AD33-E3F3-4A81-84C1-1842C03FB0BF.jpeg

Border with a bit of design going on instead of a plain one? Vintage vibe

Zircons or moissanite melees to keep cost down... or a perhaps a design with a few bigger OEC moissy as accent stones?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, wow, wow, but I just don't have the imagination to come up with a fabulous setting containing all those colors, shapes and sizes. That's a talent reserved for very special people! I really like the idea of blingy claws, thank you! They definitely add a lot of interest to those pieces.

Speaking of zircons and fabulous settings, when will we get to see that gorgeous ring you were sending to DKJ to switch out the zircons?

Oh, that's why if you ask DK, he might produce a CAD for you. Amy is very good. If that is what you want in terms of design. Melee can be a nightmare to match and obtain and costs may spiral out of control.

Which reminds me. I had better get going with the other items I have with DK.

Reactions: prs

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1072AD33-E3F3-4A81-84C1-1842C03FB0BF.jpeg

Border with a bit of design going on instead of a plain one? Vintage vibe

Zircons or moissanite melees to keep cost down... or a perhaps a design with a few bigger OEC moissy as accent stones?

7B0C0142-1966-479E-AD4E-997DFF978B6C.jpeg

Some other ideas

I like the idea of reducing costs by using an engraved border combined with some smaller stones. I also like the huge single claw prongs on the aquamarine. I bet mellow would vote for those too! :)

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure exactly how I would set it but I did recently see this kunzite pendant which I liked: https://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/kunzite/kunzite-33.46-carats.html
I like the perspective/depth the gold being bent inwards provides. Of course, it is a different shape and I'm not sure what would change for a cushion.

Looks like it contains less diamonds than a halo but not by much (because of the sides not having any). Attaching close-up from the video. kunzite.png

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure exactly how I would set it but I did recently see this kunzite pendant which I liked: https://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/kunzite/kunzite-33.46-carats.html
I like the perspective/depth the gold being bent inwards provides. Of course, it is a different shape and I'm not sure what would change for a cushion.

Looks like it contains less diamonds than a halo but not by much (because of the sides not having any). Attaching close-up from the video. kunzite.png

Brilliant, thank you so much!

It will take some thinking as to how best to adapt it to a cushion, but definitely worth a try!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haven't yet come up with anything out of the ordinary. Going back to the basics and fooling around to try and find the perfect border width. Drawn to scale and the border filled with diamonds, at least for now. ;)2 Leaving the prongs for further consideration.

1 Insp 1A (2).jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A conventional halo just isn't doing it for us. On a large cushion they all seem to look boring no matter the size of the halo.

Here's Plan B:

1 Insp 2 (2).jpg

Does it look too much like a pink pineapple? ;)2

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@prs just wanted to say that you always have the most majestic pieces and jewels and can’t wait to see how you’ll set it!

I don’t know why but I can’t help think of Jackie Kennedy’s famous kunzite ring given to her after JFK’s untimely passing (a very tragic but romantic story). I think if I remember JFK bought it for her as a special present but never got to give it to her himself.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
A conventional halo just isn't doing it for us. On a large cushion they all seem to look boring no matter the size of the halo.

Here's Plan B:

1 Insp 2 (2).jpg

Does look rather like a pineapple but doesn’t matter unless you mind :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about halo and the pineapple combined?

DK :))

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I love your original three prongs, not a rodent to me but teeny tiny little cat paws holding the stone :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's Plan B:

1 Insp 2 (2).jpg

Only if you’re a sponge living under the sea. Lol!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Only if you’re a sponge living under the sea. Lol!

T L, thank you for your kind comment. :P2 DW thinks it looks more like a bow atop a Christmas present. :)

@dk168 I like the idea of halo plus pineapple bow, but I shudder to think how much that might cost :!:

I love your original three prongs, not a rodent to me but teeny tiny little cat paws holding the stone :)
A kitty paw or maybe even a baby squirrel paw would be great but darn it, once the rodent thing is in your brain; it's there to stay....thank you so much for that image @mellowyellowgirl :razz:

voce

Ideal_Rock

Here's Plan B:

1 Insp 2 (2).jpg

Right now it doesn't look to me like a pineapple. Pineapples are more elongated and rounded shapes. Plan B does look like more of a pendant design, and you can de-emphasize the "pineapple look" if there's elements on the sides. I would use mostly colored stone melee so the emphasis and interesting aspects of the piece would be colors, and not the shape. I would use morganites, aquamarines, amethysts, peridot, citrine, zircons, heat-only blue sapphires to keep costs down.

Here's a haphazard design involving other gems on the sides. Very much doubt this is what your DW originally had in mind, but this is what I'm talking about with "elements on the two sides".

Attachments

• IMG_20191220_140118.jpg
    IMG_20191220_140118.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 129

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Right now it doesn't look to me like a pineapple. Pineapples are more elongated and rounded shapes. Plan B does look like more of a pendant design, and you can de-emphasize the "pineapple look" if there's elements on the sides. I would use mostly colored stone melee so the emphasis and interesting aspects of the piece would be colors, and not the shape. I would use morganites, aquamarines, amethysts, peridot, citrine, zircons, heat-only blue sapphires to keep costs down.

Here's a haphazard design involving other gems on the sides. Very much doubt this is what your DW originally had in mind, but this is what I'm talking about with "elements on the two sides".

Now we are getting somewhere...a flying pineapple!!! :lol-2: Sorry @voce please forgive me, I couldn't resist that joke. :)

Thank you so much for your sketch. I love the idea and will pursue adding elements to the sides. The kunzite is so big and so gorgeous, I'm thinking one might have to add an awful lot of colored melee for it to have an impact, definitely worth pursuing though.

Thumbs Up (2).jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here's a big kunzite mixed with other gemstones.... not the look you are going for and the stone here isn't nearly as vibrant but shows how the colors can be mixed and matched. i'm sure whatever you go for will be fabulous! your wife's green beryl ring is one of my favorite things seen on PS ever.... =)

1576901530442.png

voce

Ideal_Rock
Now we are getting somewhere...a flying pineapple!!! :lol-2: Sorry @voce please forgive me, I couldn't resist that joke. :)
Well, instead of a flying pineapple, what I saw was a clown's head/hair.:lol-2: Similar to Krusty the Clown from Simpsons, just your kunzite doesn't make for as narrow a face as Krusty has.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
63660A49-AA15-42DC-9229-02FD5479939C.jpeg
Colored stone melee?
Contrasting or coordinating.
Cobblestone diamonds with the smaller sizes thrown in I assume will be less than a uniform halo of 3mm’ers. Ask for a quote? I also assume the quoted price will be lesser than the price you are looking at via AfricaGems listed retail?

Sorry to threadjack but that ring is SO cool I now want to make one like it :lol::lol::lol:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i'm sure whatever you go for will be fabulous! your wife's green beryl ring is one of my favorite things seen on PS ever.... =)
I'm with you, her green beryl ring is my favorite of all her rings, looking into it you can get lost in the depths of a sea green ocean. :love: We originally thought the stone was an aquamarine, but I guess it doesn't have enough blue and GIA insisted on calling it a green beryl. Here's another photo just for you:

Green Beryl Ring 2 (2).jpg

The green beryl design is very similar to this wonderful suggestion for the kunzite from earlier in the thread. I love how the stone changes color from end to end and the perfectly color coordinated melee changes color in the opposite direction!
63660A49-AA15-42DC-9229-02FD5479939C.jpeg
Colored stone melee?
Contrasting or coordinating.
Cobblestone diamonds with the smaller sizes thrown in I assume will be less than a uniform halo of 3mm’ers. Ask for a quote? I also assume the quoted price will be lesser than the price you are looking at via AfricaGems listed retail?
Now if we could just magically change the shape of our kunzite to match these two gems, my design problem would be over! :)

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I can't wait to see how this one is going to turn out!!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Drew out a 4.0mm halo, it actually looks pretty good, that would be about 5ctw diamonds!!!

2 Insp 4.0mm.jpg

Fortunately DW still prefers the pink pineapple bow.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks again for all the design suggestions, just wanted to give a quick update. DW decided the pink pineapple was not going to fly, and we settled on a 2.0mm halo. :)

It took us some time to come up with the gallery design, but I think we finally nailed it. DKJ have a new CAD system, complete with all the bells and whistles, and I wanted to show you a couple of 3D renderings that Amy just sent us for final review.

58.5ct Kunzite CAD 12A Render 1.jpg 58.5ct Kunzite CAD 12A Render 2.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Our pendant is finished!!! Amy let us know on Monday that everyone at DKJ is safe and well, and they have been able to get most of their team set up to work from home.

The pendant is gorgeous, thank goodness DW rejected my pineapple sketch! :) First up is the glamour video from DKJ followed by a couple of screen shots.

DK Video 1.png DK Video 3.png

Now for the neck shots, the stone actually changes color a lot depending upon the light. Under the bright studio lighting it looked quite pink, but in real life the color becomes deeper.

58.5ct Kunzite Set 1.jpg 58.5ct Kunzite Set 2.jpg 58.5ct Kunzite Set 3.jpg

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful colour & size!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read the other comments but one thing I wanted to mention is that Kunzite is called the night time gem because with repeated exposure to light, over time, it can fade. So my advice would be to make a pendant that you can tuck into your when in daylight.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I haven't read the other comments but one thing I wanted to mention is that Kunzite is called the night time gem because with repeated exposure to light, over time, it can fade. So my advice would be to make a pendant that you can tuck into your when in daylight.

It's an old thread but the pendant was finished & op is very aware of the stones properties (:

Pictures are above and it turned out gorgeous!

Also some people specifically purchase kunzite just to watch it fade over time. It's actually quite a beautiful sentiment as it's beauty is fleeting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results