shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you reset this diamond? Diamond setting help

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I love love love my M color pear diamond. I had a setting custom made off of a design I saw on pinterest. The ring looks great in natural lighting but once it's outside or in bright light it gets "blobby"...I plan on resetting but I still would like to have an interesting type of design. I am wondering if I should steer clear from all halos? I love the look of vintage style halo settings but I don't want the blob effect again.

Here's my current setting with my ringspiration
img_0832.jpg

"blobby"
img_0739.jpg

Ideas for new setting...
I really like this plain split shank solitaire
f16fef887295e9296dd63b68d988a4ee.jpg

If I do a halo setting, I really like this one which was one of the original settings I almost got to begin with
r2829_54778.jpg

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated...

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if you could just have them add a super slim metal box around it to eliminate the "blob" effect?

I love the double shank/non-halo one you posted.

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
iwantsparkle|1480892572|4104798 said:
I wonder if you could just have them add a super slim metal box around it to eliminate the "blob" effect?

I think it might already have that? The halo is set behind the stone. Here's kind of a side view
img_0935.png

Thanks I'm really leaning toward the plain split shank.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
plpinkinsa|1480895301|4104810 said:
iwantsparkle|1480892572|4104798 said:

I think it might already have that? The halo is set behind the stone. Here's kind of a side view
img_0935.png

Thanks I'm really leaning toward the plain split shank.

Ah. I see. I wonder if the inspiration pic doesn't also have blob effect some of the time then.

Something about the solitaire version looks very crisp and eye catching. I look forward to seeing what you choose.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A split shank setting is a good choice I think.

It will highlight your stone (and should eliminate the blob effect:)) and the split band is perfect for visually balancing an elongated stone like a pear.

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1480958366|4104936 said:
A split shank setting is a good choice I think.

It will highlight your stone (and should eliminate the blob effect:)) and the split band is perfect for visually balancing an elongated stone like a pear.

Diamond hawk, thank you! I am so relieved that I asked on pricescope! I highly value everyone's opinions on this board.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of the reasons I'm gnerally not a fan of halos on pears...pear faceting patterns are just not well defined and then you put little
sparkly pave next to it and ta-da, you get the "blob" effect. I have to say that it really depends on the halo though. I usually like vintage/
art deco halos that dont just follow the outline of the stone but enough on that...

Split shank would be lovely on your pear. I have somewhat of a split shank on my pear and it really helps to draw the eye to be
beautiful tear drop shape of the stone. Ditto Diamond_Hawk...

My pear used to be in a traditional 3 stone with baguettes on either side. I just never really fell in love with that setting. I love my
new setting though! Here are a few shots of my setting...

img_20160319_181325238_hdr-2.jpg

img_20160319_180613190_hdr-2.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, one thing you need to consider with that second setting you posted with the gold bezel around the stone is that depending on
how well your stone returns light that setting could really shut it down (darken it). Due to the not so great light return on pears,
my opinion is to not enclose it in metal.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just chiming in to agree with this excellent advice from Diamond_Hawk and tyty333. I love the split prong solitaire look for all of the reasons they mentioned. Putting your stone in that rose gold split shank...Yummo!!!!! :love:

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1480963655|4104956 said:
This is one of the reasons I'm gnerally not a fan of halos on pears...pear faceting patterns are just not well defined and then you put little
sparkly pave next to it and ta-da, you get the "blob" effect. I have to say that it really depends on the halo though. I usually like vintage/
art deco halos that dont just follow the outline of the stone but enough on that...

Split shank would be lovely on your pear. I have somewhat of a split shank on my pear and it really helps to draw the eye to be
beautiful tear drop shape of the stone. Ditto Diamond_Hawk...

My pear used to be in a traditional 3 stone with baguettes on either side. I just never really fell in love with that setting. I love my
new setting though! Here are a few shots of my setting...

Yes yes yes I love your ring so much!!!! It's very similar to the style I'm looking at. I think I can jazz it up with some stacking bands.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the halo setting that David Klass did for Dawnxcui? It's spectacular! She had it made last year. Put her name in the search bar and search her topics to find the thread on her ring.
I think it would look just as beautiful on a pear brilliant (hers is a rose cut pear diamond). You could do a regular gallery with struts and have the halo like hers and the graceful split shank. I don't think it would look "blobby" at all. I think a delicate halo only enhances the outline of a pear stone, if it's done right! :appl:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plpinkinsa:
Did you decide on a setting for your beautiful pear?
CRM

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
Plpinkinsa:
Did you decide on a setting for your beautiful pear?
CRM
Not yet...I'm still looking for inspiration and very undecided. I'm not sure if I should set in white gold/plat or do a 2 tone to play up the center? It's kind of hard to decide not being able to see your actual diamond in a setting. Most of the settings I like would have to go the custom route again...It's hard finding pear settings in the first place and even harder to find examples of warm diamonds next to different colors of gold.

Here's one I'm in love with, it's a vintage ring with M-N color center. I would have to go custom and I wouldn't bezel my center. (keep going back to this design)
51685b14bbac9561d8f9db6da5cffc3c.jpg

Another consideration:
8e52b6b65cb210016050c18b27c91c5b.jpg
Non custom route:
s-l1600.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an Art Deco fan. Love #2!!! It would look amazing in white gold...warmer tone of metal...will compliment the warm tone of your stone!! Can't wait to see what you choose! Best of Luck!
CRM

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
Thank you I will keep everyone updated once I decide.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not yet...I'm still looking for inspiration and very undecided. I'm not sure if I should set in white gold/plat or do a 2 tone to play up the center? It's kind of hard to decide not being able to see your actual diamond in a setting. Most of the settings I like would have to go the custom route again...It's hard finding pear settings in the first place and even harder to find examples of warm diamonds next to different colors of gold.

Here's one I'm in love with, it's a vintage ring with M-N color center. I would have to go custom and I wouldn't bezel my center. (keep going back to this design)
51685b14bbac9561d8f9db6da5cffc3c.jpg

OMG I saw this the other day and sent it to Caysie. It's magnificent. I hope someone remakes it. Did you see the pics on the model's hand? DROOL!!!!!!!!!!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And obviously I am a fan of split shanks with pears;-) IMG_0837.jpg

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
OMG I saw this the other day and sent it to Caysie. It's magnificent. I hope someone remakes it. Did you see the pics on the model's hand? DROOL!!!!!!!!!!
Yes! OH Lucy in the sky with diamonds...I think I visit the video daily HAHAHA

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think of the idea of cutting out the "silhouette" of a photo of the ring you love so much -- after reducing the photo so the pear of that ring is the same size as your own pear -- so you can better visualize the "real estate" the dream ring with your pear would occupy on your finger. I really hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm kinda concerned (based on the pics of your current ring on your hand) that the dream ring would extend over your knuckle... although I realize that might not bother you like it would bother me in an e-ring or other ring worn day-in, day-out (vs a dinner/cocktail ring) : - )

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
:lol: I know, I just need to convince my husband I need it NOW :cry: LOL

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
What do you think of the idea of cutting out the "silhouette" of a photo of the ring you love so much -- after reducing the photo so the pear of that ring is the same size as your own pear -- so you can better visualize the "real estate" the dream ring with your pear would occupy on your finger. I really hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm kinda concerned (based on the pics of your current ring on your hand) that the dream ring would extend over your knuckle... although I realize that might not bother you like it would bother me in an e-ring or other ring worn day-in, day-out (vs a dinner/cocktail ring) : - )
Yes!!! Thank you for the idea, I would have never thought of that...the curse of short fingers :wall:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean! I too have short fingers. To quote Donald Trump: SAD.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results