shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you go about buying a 3 diamond ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a general information thread not something Im doing right now. Another thread and the poor quality of some b&m rings prompted the question.

This is how I would go about it.

Set a budget.

Figure out what size range center would be in my budget leaving some for the setting and side stones.

Figure out how big I wanted the side stones and what they are ie: diamond, ruby, sapphire .......

Price a few setting and side stone combos.

Deduct that amount from my budget and look for the best center diamond for the amount remaining.

If I couldn’t find the right combination the first time around then I would go back to the start and either change the setting/sides or my budget.

How would you go about it?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would insist to buy the combination of stones from the same seller since it is rather hard to acquire "retail" sets of side stones, especially specility cuts (traps, baguettes, what not). I would be delighted to find a seller willing to work with me and offer a few options to check in person (which I did). After all, one can guess only that much from a picture. For example, pairing larger step cuts depends alot on characteristics that do not show on a cert (such as the outline of facets). If one wants to get creative and twist the classic combination into something less run-of-the-mill, buying three stones based on an exact preconceived idea does not really foster creativity.

Unfortunately, combining colored stones (this I did try) proved ridiculously hard: the components are almost never avalable in the same time at the same source. Think about what would mean to fatch three demantoids matched for color, clarity and cut without getting a second job as a gem broker or hiring one... It's fun though.

Just a thought...

bht122

Rough_Rock
Well, I didn't plan on getting a 3 stone ring at first. At first, I was looking for an FIC. I found one and then went to EE Robbins to look at settings. Well, they had just gotten the Vatche RC 3 stone setting in and once I tried it on, I knew it was the one. I then contacted WF (where I found the FIC) and ask them for a setting quote using ACA sidestones. Well, the price was GREAT (much less than I thought it would be) so I went for it.

vatchethre.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results