shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Stone Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slizatch

Rough_Rock
It was suggested to me that if I select a 3 stone setting the side stones should be at least half the carat size of my center stone. Is this typically a good rule of thumb or doesn''t it matter? I was originally thinking of a 1.5 center stone with sides stone or .25 I was told this would not look good as the side stones would be disproportionate to the center stone. Let me know what you think.

slizatch

Rough_Rock
Just to clarify I was told that EACH side stone should be half the size of the center. Therefore my idea of a 1.5 center should be set with two .75 stones.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends on what you like.
Iv have seen them both ways.
Honestly I dont care for the 3 stone look with all diamonds.
Rubies would be my first choice for the side stones.
Sapphire second.
Using gemstones I think 3/4 the diameter of the main stone looks good.
ie: 6mm center 4mm sides.
All diamonds at 3/4 would be to much side stone.
Check out Diane's ring in her icon and in this thread:

click
The diamond and Sapphires combo is awesome!!

slizatch

Rough_Rock
My first choice would be to go with saphires however the GF has given strict orders that NO COLOR is to be on the ring (i.e. saphire, ruby, etc) so unfortunately that option is out.

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
I was also looking around at one point for a three stone setting. Another consideration may be the ring size. The smaller the size the more crowded the setting may seem. Therefore, it may not make sense to stick with a set ratio of center to side stones.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 1.90 ct center stone and my side stones are .30 ct each. I like the fact that it doesn't look like a three stone ring, but just accents the center nicely. Take a look at the 'show me the ring' forum to see various examples of each type of three stone ring and choose which look you prefer.
10.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
My personal opinion:
If the center stone is gorgeous, don't look for 2 little side stones (0.25 ct).
It would be OK with, for example, 4 little side stones.
I could take 2 bigger side stones, but I prefer no side stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... there is this one thing... The size of the diamond is not increasing directly with weight: is the size of the crown you want to be 2/3 of the center's? After all, the weight does not show, the crown diameter does. There is one site which allows to try the 'looks' of different side-stone sizes in a virtual model. You can find it at adiamondisforever.com (the design your own, 'engagement ring' option - since the 'three-stone ring' option keeps the ratio of stone sized locked, all rounds, of course). Did you try this? The 0.75cts sides will look almost as big as the center not 2/3 of it. This site did help me: now I know I want three of the same size!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I mean...

three stone.JPG

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
Well said. I mean, well shown.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Nice pics...great way to illustrate the point...what I did was look at different diameters of side stones next to my center stone while it was unset to pic the ratio that was most pleasing to me...since I have fancy shape that I wanted to emphasize...I may have picked differently...

That being said you want to make sure your side stones are matched to each other in diameter, table size, and color...

Since color is out
cry.gif
you may want to look at some other shapes than rounds for the sides...such as pear, baguette

the ring strmrdr referred to is in my avatar

Best of luck in your search

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi I am attaching some pics I found in the show me the ring forum

Round 1.57 with pear sides

nomarian 1.57 G VS1rnd with pear sides.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Round .746 in Scot Kay setting with 10 small round

juicy .746 F VS2 Scott Kay 10 small.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Round .8 in an A. Jaffe setting

All these and more styles can be found in the "Show Me the Ring" Forum there is a thread for "eye candy"

Hope this helps

ccu .8 JSI1 A. Jaffe setting.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Do you want a true three stone ring? Or, do you want accent stones? For the later .25 sides will be fine.

Great comparison pics - I've saved on my favorite places.

Diane, have I told your that you ring takes my breath away. So simple, beautiful, classic & elegant. That is precisely what I want for our 25th anniversary as a right hand ring. Sapphires are my birthstone.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
I'm a guy so I don't know if my opinion counts...

I like the (1st).25 or the (2nd).5s

Really depends on what you're going for. My GF didn't want a 3 stone ring b/c she thinks (all the ones she's seen) that they look like anniversary bands. If you get 3 stones the same size.. it looks like that IMHO

If you vary the size it looks like more like an engagement ring (to me). I don't know if making the sides small is "acceptable"

My GF is getting a 5 stone ring. All rounds Center is 1.23, two diamonds flanking the center are rounds about .14 each. Ones on the side of that are .09 each. Visually in the setting they don't look all that diff in size (the side stones to each other) but it does give a slightly tapered look.

My personal choice would have been saphire sides, but she is a no color person.

Chris

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
I agree with the "1/2 size" rule-of-thumb for a three stone ring -- if you want accents, they should be small enough and set low enough that they don't detract from the center diamond.

I think a 3-stone ring is a great way to make a small diamond or less-than-great cut diamond look bigger or better, but if you're thinking of a 1.5 well-cut diamond, then I'd seriously consider having the other diamonds (if any) be less prominent. Just one view..... if your SO loooooves 3-stones, though, I'd go that route -- I'm not suggesting you disappoint her.

Kris

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/9/2003 10:17:33 AM Chrisk327 wrote:

If you vary the size it looks like more like an engagement ring (to me). -

To me also, I concur.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I think that there are many combinations which would look beautiful. Is your GF set on a three-stone ring? If so, then I don't think that .25 side stones would look bad. I also think that other shapes (pears, trillions, baguettes) would look nice. Have you and your GF looked together or has she expressed a preference? If not, then you might want to propose with a simple setting and let her pick out the "real" setting later. If that is not an option, then you can just look at a bunch of different side stones next to your center stone and pick what looks best. I don't think there are hard and fast rules--let your eyes be the guide. Good luck!

slizatch

Rough_Rock
WOW I go to bed and wake up with more info then I could have ever imagined. Thanks for all the great pics guys!! Unfortunately you're making my decision even harder.
loopy.gif

OK for some (more) clarity. My GF is not set in stone (really bad pun) on the three stone ring it was something that I had messed with on one of the build your own sites and showed her and she liked. After some prying she basically said "I trust your judgement just no colored stones" meaning no saphires (sorry diane). So I'm basically out here on my own. The reason I looked at the 3 stone was because I wanted her ring to stand out and be a little different than a traditional solitare. So I guess I'm looking to use that setting more to accent the center stone than anything else. Also the other piece of guidance she gave was that she wants a thicker setting (she hates the traditional 6-prong tiffany style) she likes things that are typically called a tappered cathedral. So that's where I'm at. Thanks again for the wonderful pics.

Diane the first pic you have on there with the pears what size are those pears. I've seen the pears used as accents before and they looked great.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Thanks F&I that was the look I was going for...

Slizatch...from what I can gather in looking through the post..was that the pear stones were .30 ct each...

If she likes the thicker then the 3rd pic I posted might be more her style...

Seems she is pretty involved...have her help you pic out the setting ...and then you can suprise...her wiht the finished product...at a secret time and place...

Back th cleaning for me
15.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also wanted to chime in and say that I think 3 stone rings are actually becoming more COMMON for e-rings..which I don't like. I tend to like more traditional stuff for engagement, with a twist (e.g. pave eternity e-ring!).

So even if you want to be different, the 3 stone ring craze is catching on, at least from ones I have seen...so her ring won't be different for long.
2.gif
Something to keep in mind. Esp with DeBeers still pushing the 3 stone ring as hard as they are...though they ar slightly distracted with the RHR.
2.gif

Hey Valeria..how do you do the 3 stone proportion thing with pictures? I tried that on DB site and was not able to do it as you did. Can you model my stone (1.35c diameter of around 7.15mm) with 2 side stones of .50c each. Fiance and I were kicking around the idea of creating a 3 stone ring for me maybe in 5 years using my original stone and my 1ctw earrings. Then I'd get new earrings!
1.gif
But I'm curious as to how it will look with that type of proportion. I would be hugely grateful!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/9/2003 1:16:18 PM Mara wrote:
Hey Valeria..how do you do the 3 stone proportion thing with pictures? I tried that on DB site and was not able to do it as you did. Can you model my stone (1.35c diameter of around 7.15mm) with 2 side stones of .50c each. Fiance and I were kicking around the idea of creating a 3 stone ring for me maybe in 5 years using my original stone and my 1ctw earrings. Then I'd get new earrings! But I'm curious as to how it will look with that type of proportion.----------------

Oh, nothing fancy.... I copied the pictures from that site and measured the aparent diameter of the stones (using a 6X magnified bitmap image). Those are computer generated images, so the procedure is quite precise. What would the diameter of the 0.5 sides be? I'll look into this later, but it should be easy enough. For example, if I take 5.15 mm for the diameter of the sides, this gives a 72% ratio of their diameter to the center's (one of the pics above comes close).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure what the diameters are as I don't have the paperwork with me, but use typical .50c well-cut diameters if possible, should not be too off. Thanks!!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oups, that was fast: I just re-edited the answer above: tyour model should fall between those already pictured for 70% and 76% ratios... Hope this helps!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perfect.... because visually I really like the 70% the best...so if 72% would be close to mine....that's ideal!
1.gif

Thx...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want something different yet traditional have you looked into antique style settings.
click here

There are many other styles available but those will give you enough to know if your interested.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
If your looking to accent the center stone, then maybe a five stone or more ring would be best.

I think you should ask her what shape diamonds she likes. She may only want rounds, or could love pears as well. That would help you weed out the shapes she doesn't like.

But I do have to say if you went with two accent stones, I think pears look breathtaking.

slizatch

Rough_Rock
I've been searching and searching for different settings, stones, styles, everything. Here's the latest thing I've run accross that seems like a nice type of accent. A "champaigne pave" setting it's on WF. Anyone out there have any experience with this sort of a setting? Or how the finished product looks?

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I think the proportion would really depend on the setting, personal taste and the shapes of the stones involved. In other words, I don't think there is really any right or wrong way. Just my take.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results