shape
carat
color
clarity

How would it look to add EC side stones to my cushion?

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
How might east-west EC side stones look with my cushion?

I've always thought that tapered baguette settings were so classy, but here lately I have been thinking that maybe I want chunkier steps than what baguettes usually have. This has brought me to consider all the different step cut side options: traps, bullets, etc. I decided that I'd prefer the horizontal look of bullets over the vertical orientation of traps. I actually got to try on a setting with bullets and loved it, but the price tag in the brick and mortar store was $6k! So, I'm not sure about bullets anymore.

So now I'm wondering if my cushion would look nice with an east-west emerald cut diamond on each side.

I already have a .41 EC that is close in color to my cushion. I have been considering finding a match to create a three stone ring.
It may be difficult to find a match, though.

How would this combination look? I'll add some pictures of my EC and cushion next to each other so that you can gauge the proportions.
The cushion is 5.58x5.9 mm. The EC is 5.52x3.36 mm.

_35954.jpg

_35955.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would look out of place to have such a large ec next to your lovely stone

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1452463385|3973822 said:
I think it would look out of place to have such a large ec next to your lovely stone

Thanks, Niel!

Just wondering what everyone thinks! TIA!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I don't personally like this look (and I love mixing step and brilliant cuts! But this just seems off proportionally.) But it's really about what you like.

If you want beefier sidestones, and are set on step cut, what about an Art Deco style setting with 3 baguettes on each side? I'll try to find an example of what I mean. Edited to add photos, something like these.

_882.png

_883.png

_884.png

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
FightGravity|1452465681|3973849 said:
I don't personally like this look (and I love mixing step and brilliant cuts! But this just seems off proportionally.) But it's really about what you like.

If you want beefier sidestones, and are set on step cut, what about an Art Deco style setting with 3 baguettes on each side? I'll try to find an example of what I mean. Edited to add photos, something like these.

Thanks for the feedback and the pictures!!! They are very pretty!
Right next to my cushion, I prefer the directions of the facets of a step cut to move horizontally rather than vertically. I really love the second one, FightGravity, and that's the only reason why I would hesitate. I also think I would rather have one side stone instead of two or three stacked on top of each other (I've seen a lot of baguette settings that do that, too.).

More feedback is welcome!

Below are a couple of settings I considered before the e/w EC idea. I still really love both of these! I just wonder if I would regret not getting something with bolder steps.

il_253.jpg

_35961.jpg

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I'm not a fan:( if you want a 3 stone look I would add 2 small RBs or 2 small cushions. Or you could just do a micro pave band or there is always the halo

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing bigger than baguettes for step cut sides to a cushion, although I don't love single baguettes with cushions. Matching little cushions might be a nightmare. I love the art deco settings above. I really see those as the best option to add sides to an antique cushion.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Emeraldsaremyfavorite|1452471250|3973887 said:
I'm sorry I'm not a fan:( if you want a 3 stone look I would add 2 small RBs or 2 small cushions. Or you could just do a micro pave band or there is always the halo

Thank you, Emeraldsaremyfavorite!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1452471613|3973889 said:
Nothing bigger than baguettes for step cut sides to a cushion, although I don't love single baguettes with cushions. Matching little cushions might be a nightmare. I love the art deco settings above. I really see those as the best option to add sides to an antique cushion.

Thanks, DS! I may look more at Art Deco settings.

I like my solitaire, but wish I had more bling and sparkle, and I'm feeling ready to change it.

I appreciate everyone's gracious honesty! :saint:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this helps at all :)

picsart_01-10-09.jpg

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1452479437|3973959 said:
Yes, it really does. I tried doing something similar on my computer and didn't have the proportions right on the ECs. I had them looking smaller. When I hold up my EC next to the cushion it doesn't seem quite that big. But it doesn't matter because the consensus on the thread is that they would be much too large. I am fine with that. I was wondering it myself, and I knew PS would shoot me straight. :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
daintyG|1452481245|3973966 said:
Yes, it really does. I tried doing something similar on my computer and didn't have the proportions right on the ECs. I had them looking smaller. When I hold up my EC next to the cushion it doesn't seem quite that big. But it doesn't matter because the consensus on the thread is that they would be much too large. I am fine with that. I was wondering it myself, and I knew PS would shoot me straight. :wavey:
Yeah they seem larger when I move them but all I did was copy the stone and move it to another position, so I did t adjust the proportions at all.

Sorry its not an easy fix....can you sell that to put towards a setting? I know you said you liked one that was lots of $$$

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
lol Niel, looks like a little sparkly airplane. not to my taste but if you like it go for it.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1452481813|3973973 said:
daintyG|1452481245|3973966 said:
Yeah they seem larger when I move them but all I did was copy the stone and move it to another position, so I did t adjust the proportions at all.

Sorry its not an easy fix....can you sell that to put towards a setting? I know you said you liked one that was lots of $$$

Yes, I could try to sell it to put toward a setting. However, I love having an EC, so I'm afraid I would regret selling it unless the new setting had a decent step cut presence.

I would not buy the setting I mentioned in my OP just because it costs soooo much more than my diamond.( I cannot find a picture of it anywhere online to share with PS. It is a Parade semi mount with bullets on each side and a bit of pave on the shank.)

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What about single asscher side stones? I had a ring like that (briefly). Loved the look and setting of the ring itself, but it never looked correct to me on my own finger. I ended up with a haloed oval instead. I wish I had a picture to show you for visualization, but I'm sure you could Google and find something similar.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they would look better tapered at the ends if you go with baguette.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
simpsonade|1452536829|3974288 said:
What about single asscher side stones? I had a ring like that (briefly). Loved the look and setting of the ring itself, but it never looked correct to me on my own finger. I ended up with a haloed oval instead. I wish I had a picture to show you for visualization, but I'm sure you could Google and find something similar.

Thank you, simpsonade. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I would rather have traps, baguettes or bullets. Part of it is because the outer shape of those stones would be different from my cushion.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Mayk|1452540049|3974322 said:
I think they would look better tapered at the ends if you go with baguette.

Thank you! I really do like tapered baguettes. I just don't want to lose a lot of the stone's vertical coverage to the taper at the end (if that makes sense!).

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not a fan of the ec sides either, sorry... I think it has something to do with the proportions, if the ecs were a lot smaller I think it would work. As it is I think the ec overpowers the cushion. If you go smaller then you would probably loose some of the look of largefacets if that is what you are aiming for... Beautiful diamonds though!
I have an asscher band with my cushion solitaire. Why not get a baguette band instead of changing your lovely ring to get that added bling? :)
Oh and I obviously love the idea of putting asschers together with the cushion, but again, they would have to be noticably smaller than the cushion I think. I see what you mean re the asschers!
If I were you I would get two more cushions instead of another cut.
It will be interesting to hear what you decide!
/aca :wavey:

queradas

Rough_Rock
daintyG|1452461142|3973801 said:
How might east-west EC side stones look with my cushion?

I've always thought that tapered baguette settings were so classy, but here lately I have been thinking that maybe I want chunkier steps than what baguettes usually have. This has brought me to consider all the different step cut side options: traps, bullets, etc. I decided that I'd prefer the horizontal look of bullets over the vertical orientation of traps. I actually got to try on a setting with bullets and loved it, but the price tag in the brick and mortar store was $6k! So, I'm not sure about bullets anymore.

So now I'm wondering if my cushion would look nice with an east-west emerald cut diamond on each side.

I already have a .41 EC that is close in color to my cushion. I have been considering finding a match to create a three stone ring.
It may be difficult to find a match, though.

How would this combination look? I'll add some pictures of my EC and cushion next to each other so that you can gauge the proportions.
The cushion is 5.58x5.9 mm. The EC is 5.52x3.36 mm.

Mixing step and Brilliant cuts is difficult and I think it requires a master like Leon Mege to do it. I was not that pleased with how SK did my friends Oval with baguettes.

Your cushion is not very large so you would need really small baguettes to get the same proportions of these two below. They really have to get the ratio of cushion to baguette just right and the baguettes LW ratio as well as the angle of the baguette makes to connect to the shank. I think traps or baguettes both work if you nail the ratio. Problem with a 6mm centre is that the baguettes really can't be very long and may have to be cut down or they will stick out too much.

withtrapsorbaguettes.jpg

queradas

Rough_Rock
onewidebaguette.jpg

I think this look is best with one wide baguette not two especially for smaller centre stone <7mm and it looks better clean with claw prongs holding in the baguettes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results