shape
carat
color
clarity

How well-cut are Botswana Diamonds ?

Equator

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I just wonder if anyone have heard of Botswana Diamonds. I know (from the website) that they''re the socially responsible diamonds, being mined, cut and polished locally and that they all come with GCAL''s certificates.

Is there a specific charateristic of these diamonds ? Are they known for a well cut diamonds or is it just depending on individual stones ? How would these fare with i.e. Indian cut diamonds ??

Thanks in advance

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I am not familar with them but I would go by each diamond's certificate. I believe that GCAL is a respected lab on par with GIA or AGS, just a smaller operation. The folks here will be happy to tell you if a given stone is a good cut. I do know that Botswana has done a good job of using their diamond wealth to improve the lives of their people and give AIDS treatment as opposed to South Africa where a lot of the diamond wealth is transferred out of the country.

Equator

Rough_Rock
Oh, is that so ?! I didn''t know GCAL was on par with GIA and AGS. Thanks for the info, kelpie.

It was a stone that I asked opinion about on my other thread but was shot down compared to a few others. Here is a picture of it

It''s a GIA (and GCAL) HSi2 with a table of 60% and a high-ish crown angle of 35.8. The other bits are normal, but here they are; 5.91mm X 5.96mm X 3.63mm. Depth 61.2%, pavilion angle 41.4. VG Cut and Symmetry, but only a Good Polish.

Is this an OK one a 78 HSI2.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cut grading is not that hot, a little iffy, even their standard shift, apparently depending on who their customer is.

Can you post the GCAL report number?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted these images before in another thread, but can''t seem to find it again.

This is the scale they have in their report for BN''s Signature Ideal.

GCAL scale01.JPG

Equator

Rough_Rock
Hi, Stone. I think this is the number (it''s lasered) 183030044

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Comparing these 3 images.

A)
GCAL182630144_small_sb.JPG

Scale
GCAL%20scale01.JPG

B)
GCAL192670004_small_sc.JPG

Stone A clearly, by their own scale should be a Good-Fair cut but they still gave it an Excellent cut.
Stone B, again is a Very Good cut at best, and they still award it an Excellent cut.

What does this say about their impartiality?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 1:36:53 AM
Author:Equator
Hi all,

I just wonder if anyone have heard of Botswana Diamonds. I know (from the website) that they''re the socially responsible diamonds, being mined, cut and polished locally and that they all come with GCAL''s certificates.

Is there a specific charateristic of these diamonds ? Are they known for a well cut diamonds or is it just depending on individual stones ? How would these fare with i.e. Indian cut diamonds ??

Thanks in advance
Equator,

I''m afraid your primary question has gotten lost.

I do think your inspiration is very good. Unfortunately, so is the question of this thread. Althoug today, going to Botwana Diamonds on Google doesn''t, I don''t think, help me find them, adding: Maine, because I had remembered finding them there, does immediately bring up Day''s Jewelers, who at least has sold them. They also list them (or had done, each). After looking at proportions, using Garry''s HCA on board, I could not find a one close to well cut.

Mayby you''ll find better. But I was quite frustrated.

Best,

Equator

Rough_Rock
Yes, I guess it did. I was actually in the middle of a princess cut search when this stone came up (and another one that was a GIA 89JSI2), and I got a little distracted. Haha.

So, would you still think that this 89JSI2 sounds like a better stone:
6.01-6.05x3.88mm
Depth: 64.3
Table: 53
Crown Angle: 35.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Thick girdle of 5%
No culet
Only good cut and polish but very good symmetry. It scores 3 on HCA

I''ve been communicating with WF and JA, but hasn''t found one anywhere near these two in terms of price vs. size. I am asking them to find the SB stone that Stone found, but still haven''t heard back from them.

I then found this on JA that I think is a good value: 60ptsGSI2
Depth 62.4%. Table 55%. CA 34.6. PA 40.8.

The 60 is cheaper than the other 2. Now I''m just so lost and feeling so indecisive. I guess what I was trying to achieve is spending 2,500 and getting a decent sized princess while getting a great round too. Haha. By decent, for me at the moment at least, is over half a carat, and as big a round possible with the rest of he budget.

Help me. I''m lost.

Equator

Rough_Rock
Yes, Stone... I''m so lost. I still know I want two stones, though. Haha. I''m terrible. I started out setting aside 1 grand for a princess. But when those 2 over three quarter carats came up, I just couldn''t resist. After looking at my savings and all, I decided I could spend 2.5 grand, but I still want a princess and a round.

It can either be a fab cut at a decent size and price or a reasonably above average cut at a fab price (like maybe the thicker made 89??).

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 1:36:53 AM
Author:Equator
Hi all,

I just wonder if anyone have heard of Botswana Diamonds. I know (from the website) that they're the socially responsible diamonds, being mined, cut and polished locally and that they all come with GCAL's certificates.

Thanks in advance
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-179628625.html

Birks (canada) and Mayors (US) are high end retailors that specialize in high end well cut diamonds some of which are sourced from Botswana.
14.gif
to confusing GCAL grading reports.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results