shape
carat
color
clarity

How to turn one diamond into two?

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I have a nice 1 carat mrb that used to be an engagement ring and is now a bezel solitaire pendant.

This place puts big diamond ideas in your head. :lol:

1. How close do you think stones have to match for earrings? Mine is a 1.02/I/VS2.
Does the color have to be an I, you think? How far down in carat weight would still "match?" (I am guessing a .98 or .99 is much cheaper than a 1.00+?)

I wonder if I could get a used one or something of earring quality for a few thousand? Am I dreaming? Should I search LT on the regular?

I am just thinking out loud. This wouldn't be an immediate project as we are still making my e-ring and I need select a wedding band, etc. So, priority-wise, it's down the line.

2. Maybe it would be just be better to sell the stone or trade someplace for two smaller stones? Or trade it and pay the difference. Do places do this? Is it ever a good deal?
I (he) bought from a local jeweler in Nashville. Now I live in Denver. So, no large chain store for a trade-in.
Where would you look into something like this if you were me?

I am just thinking that I would wear diamond studs daily; the necklace is lovely but I don't wear it much right now.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think studs are a great idea. Instead of searching for a match by carat weight, get the stone measured professional (or look at the certificate if you've got it) and look at stone dimensions. Then you can see what size to aim for. I think matching in color isn't as important with earrings since they aren't right next to each other, so for a deal, looking for J color would be fine. The main thing is the cut of the stone and trying to match that. Do you have any closeup photos? Is it ideal cut, or just "very good"? You may not want one earring that is sparklier/outshines the other, so I'd look for a cut match more than clarity. SI1 or even SI2 for earrings can be fine; again, nobody puts their face right up to your ear.

You could definitely keep an eye out on Loupe Troop or Diamond Bistro for a match, or post in the Pre-Loved section a "Want to Buy (WTB)" ad for what you're looking for.

I probably wouldn't trade it.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Rubybeth. Excellent point about searching based on measurements. I have the GIA report to reference.

Maybe I can stumble into a good deal. I know I would wear studs all the time.

A girl can dream.

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
As long as the diamonds in the earrings are the same size and the color is close to the same, I think it would be fine. However, is there a reason you just do not like the stone in the pendant? It might be easier to find a pair of earrings with diamonds of the same cut, clarity and quality of the stone in your pendant and wear the pendant and earrings together as a matching set.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Another thought: choose a vendor based on the earring settings you want, and send them your stone to find a match, especially if it's certed. I'm thinking Brian Gavin or Whiteflash would be great options for this.

Brian Gavin stud settings: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-jewelry/diamond-earrings/studs/ (I have the handmade bezel studs in white gold and LOVE them)

Whiteflash stud settings: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/#sz=12&styles=diamond-earrings_studs (I know people love the martini settings)

Stud settings are usually pretty inexpensive, but a second diamond of close to a cart will be the biggest expense. But if you're getting married, they may be a great wedding present for yourself!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
LunaStar|1478749449|4096176 said:
As long as the diamonds in the earrings are the same size and the color is close to the same, I think it would be fine. However, is there a reason you just do not like the stone in the pendant? It might be easier to find a pair of earrings with diamonds of the same cut, clarity and quality of the stone in your pendant and wear the pendant and earrings together as a matching set.

I like the stone in the pendant but don't wear it much for some reason. I was thinking this is one way to get more use out of the stone.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
rubybeth|1478805615|4096463 said:
Another thought: choose a vendor based on the earring settings you want, and send them your stone to find a match, especially if it's certed. I'm thinking Brian Gavin or Whiteflash would be great options for this.

Brian Gavin stud settings: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-jewelry/diamond-earrings/studs/ (I have the handmade bezel studs in white gold and LOVE them)

Whiteflash stud settings: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/#sz=12&styles=diamond-earrings_studs (I know people love the martini settings)

Stud settings are usually pretty inexpensive, but a second diamond of close to a cart will be the biggest expense. But if you're getting married, they may be a great wedding present for yourself!

This might be an easier way to go.

I agree this would be a nice gift. :D

On the list of our overall priorities, it is probably too far down the line for this year. Womp. (Unless I stumble into a pre-loved one that is a great deal or something.)

Good idea about vendor + matching. When the time comes maybe this a way to go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results