shape
carat
color
clarity

How to tell quality of Rose Quartz

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

What are the signs of good quality rose quartz?

What about these earrings from Blue Nile? They are set in sterling silver and are $125. They are 1-1/4 in long, 1/2 in across. Can anyone give me some advice as to if these are priced fairly?

Thank you so much for your help!!! UE10700800_main.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Are these the actual earrings or just a stock photo? For silver I think they are quite expensive as quartz is cheap and silver isn't THAT expensive yet.

Quality rose quartz should be a nice even colour, free from obvious inclusions and nicely cut.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
It's a stock photo from the Blue Nile site.

Thanks for the info!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd look at Osirisgem site on ebay. Sometimes he sells rose quartz, and his cutting is impeccable!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
They seem expensive to me. The rose quartzes look pretty washed-out, and silver settings are usually not that expensive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto all the above posts - the rose quartz look washed out (which makes them more inexpensive), plus silver settings aren't that expensive. That said, if you aren't the type to hunt down your own stones and don't want to be bothered to find a jeweller to make them, they can be an alternative for you, just at a higher price.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
if commercial cut then to expensive...if custom/precision cut then the price is spot on

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Any suggestions as to where online to get similar earrings already made up that are better quality/better priced?

Thanks again for all the replies!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
karend26|1316108250|3018281 said:
Any suggestions as to where online to get similar earrings already made up that are better quality/better priced?

Thanks again for all the replies!!
Take a look at the www.etsy.com site. I did a search on rose quartz earrings and it brought up over 4,000 results. I haven't looked through everything, but here is a similar pair from tangerinejewelryshop for $62. There are lots of other styles which run in the $25 - $40 range.

Rose quartz earrings from tangerinejewelryshop.jpg

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Thanks so much!!

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That pink is pretty fair. I have seen darker Madagascar and South Dakota (I got to cut a piece for a rock club friend as a heart.) The pink will never be shocking. With rose, it is the asterism that counts and you don't get that with a facet. But, when cut to standard, the silk in it will make the stone 'glow'. Absolutely clear pink is harder to find.

I have pounds of Hogg Mine rose. It is a light pink, can display bi-asterism (the star transmits through it instead of reflects from it), and can have some cool zoning. You just walk around at Hogg Mine it is everywhere. Hogg is in LaGrange, Georgia. Whatever site the collect it from is South Dakota, that is much more pink by about a shade.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's some photos of my rose quartz. It's a faceted gem from Osirisgems.com, and it's from Madagascar. I think a good rose quartz should have silk, but not so much that it makes the stone look like a piece of wax. I think the stone should glow from within as in the photo below, and it should have nice baby pink body color to it.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...n-faceted-rose-quartz-from-madagascar.142540/

file.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
TL..thats is and always has been a fantastic rose gemstone. Great example and purchase of the type. I think I remember salivating over it on Uli's site back in the day

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Amguy! :bigsmile:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me, the perfect rose quartz is a light shade of pink that is clearly pink, if you know what I mean, silky enough to get a glow yet still very nearly transparent and with a touch of lavender in the facets. Hard to find, but so nice when you do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results