shape
carat
color
clarity

How to set my Jedi Spinel

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Five minutes after getting my last ring in my hands I am planning my next one :lol::lol:

I am currently saving to have my newest stone set. I have attached some of the inspo pics I have saved but would love to hear everyones thoughts or if they have set a red spinel pics if you are happy to share.

This is my stone. Its about .8 of a carat its the one on the right

18357EA1-A520-491C-B97B-6CEAA597F210_1_201_a.jpeg 480916E6-47D7-4A94-B0D7-C655F6C50BA6_1_201_a.jpeg

I love this LV design. I am sure the stone is much bigger but I would scale it for my stone

00c82a5afd5ec669ee51fa87d21caa46.jpg

I plonked a red rectangle into this design. I would like to be able to wear this ring reasonable regularly so perhaps this isnt the best idea? Or I could make it smaller

infinty cross diamond ring.jpg

Not sure if the Ruthenium coating detracts from the stone? Would look to make stones much smaller I think this would be expensive in the sizes they are

spinel circular.jpg

Or something simple like this

Spinel baguette.jpg

My Pinterest board has some other ideas but I am open and really welcome suggestions

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Just popping in to ask if the last setting is intended to have a baguette frame? I have an emerald cut set in an art deco style setting that way, and I'll say the baguettes can get pricey. If you want them to seamlessly mesh you will need custom cut for sure, especially on the corners.

I went with little tiny metal spacer bars to avoid that issue and it helped keep the cost down some. The little bars are not very noticeable.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Just popping in to ask if the last setting is intended to have a baguette frame? I have an emerald cut set in an art deco style setting that way, and I'll say the baguettes can get pricey. If you want them to seamlessly mesh you will need custom cut for sure, especially on the corners.

I went with little tiny metal spacer bars to avoid that issue and it helped keep the cost down some. The little bars are not very noticeable.

Yes I definitely want some kind of diamond edge to the setting. I know baguettes are expensive I was thinking of a regular halo but I just love the baguette look. I would love to see the setting you are speaking of,

voce

Ideal_Rock
Do you have mm measurements?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love love the LV setting. Its modern but still classy.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_20200513_130004.jpg

Here you go. Was posted in another thread to compare a pink Lightbox earring to an I colored diamond.

You are right @elizat they aren't overly noticeable. I would be interested to see my jewellers quote for with and without full diamond baguettes.

Do you have mm measurements?

I do actually I am looking at it the handwriting isn't the best I think it is 5.5 x 5.0 x 3.2.

I love love love the LV setting. Its modern but still classy.

Yes that is where I am leaning. I am sure it will be terribly expensive. Although I would be using smaller stones

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
mmmm that LV setting and your delicious spinel.. that would be so beautiful :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knowing the mm will help a lot. My concern is despite the awesome colour, it might lost in the sea of diamonds if the design is too "large" for the stone.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can take a picture of the stone on the back of your hand-
I can dirty cut/paste some to scale mockups for you (and us!) to see.

I’d be more concerned to the scale of the baguette mounting you showed, the diamonds getting lost, as opposed to the spinel getting lost in the other designs.
Taste varies, and this is coming from someone who was told by different people the diamond size /setting design may overwhelm my sapphire. I think it turned out great.

Changing the scale of the design to the centerstone is common. Seeing options of size/ratios is how you find out what looks right to your eye.

Edited to add
@elizat advice about the metal bars on a halo like that is spot on, but with the size of your spinel, if you do decide to go with a bag halo, get quotes both ways custom cut and not. It may surprise you.

Last edited:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Knowing the mm will help a lot. My concern is despite the awesome colour, it might lost in the sea of diamonds if the design is too "large" for the stone.

Thanks @chrono the measurements are 5.5 x 5.0 x 3.2. That is what I am worried about although I will ask the jeweller for sure what his opinion is.

If you can take a picture of the stone on the back of your hand-
I can dirty cut/paste some to scale mockups for you (and us!) to see.

I’d be more concerned to the scale of the baguette mounting you showed, the diamonds getting lost, as opposed to the spinel getting lost in the other designs.
Taste varies, and this is coming from someone who was told by different people the diamond size /setting design may overwhelm my sapphire. I think it turned out great.

Changing the scale of the design to the centerstone is common. Seeing options of size/ratios is how you find out what looks right to your eye.

Edited to add
@elizat advice about the metal bars on a halo like that is spot on, but with the size of your spinel, if you do decide to go with a bag halo, get quotes both ways custom cut and not. It may surprise you.

Thanks @Rfisher I have taken one on my hand here is this at all helpful? Seriously kind offer to do some mockups. I would love to see roughly what it would look like relative to my stone

IMG_9328.JPG IMG_2895.JPG IMG_3903.JPG IMG_3008.JPG

voce

Ideal_Rock
A few questions.

1) Would you like to set the 5.5 side N-S or E-W?
2) Would you like me to sketch out a design for you using the LV as an inspiration? Since the stone is so small, you won't be able to find triangle sides that small, so I'd use kites instead of triangle stones.
3) Would you consider using red spinel melee with white diamond melee to punch up contrast even more?

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
A few questions.

1) Would you like to set the 5.5 side N-S or E-W?
2) Would you like me to sketch out a design for you using the LV as an inspiration? Since the stone is so small, you won't be able to find triangle sides that small, so I'd use kites instead of triangle stones.
3) Would you consider using red spinel melee with white diamond melee to punch up contrast even more?

Oh wow that is incredibly kind of you I dont have an artistic bone in my body so never thought to try and sketch something,

1. I think I prefer running N-S but I am open to other ideas.
2. Yes happy to have any alterations you think would work. I am hoping that by reducing the size of the diamonds it might save me some money.
3. That is actually something I had thought about. My main concern is to show off the Jedi in the best way possible so it becomes the focus of the ring. I was worried anything other than diamonds would be distracting

voce

Ideal_Rock
My main concern is to show off the Jedi in the best way possible so it becomes the focus of the ring. I was worried anything other than diamonds would be distracting

There are ways of enhancing, not distracting from the center stone. Target rings, for instance. If you use the right color red in a linear and simple fashion on the outer edges of the ring, it'll give the ring more contrast and "reinforce" the color of the center stone. I've got in mind Yvonne's red spinel melee for this. Can't promise anything on the design front, I offered because it'll provide me entertainment and will be something relaxing I can look forward to. :razz: I'll take a shot at a design over the weekend and get it to PS Saturday night.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher getting quotes both ways is good. My emerald cut is a good size, so it was a fairly good amount of baguettes. I ended up better and in budget the way we did it. It would have been a lot more costly with the custom cut corners.

@Pennyc I think your stone will get lost in a bag halo. That's just my personal view. I don't think I'd go that direction.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all I really appreciate the advise

There are ways of enhancing, not distracting from the center stone. Target rings, for instance. If you use the right color red in a linear and simple fashion on the outer edges of the ring, it'll give the ring more contrast and "reinforce" the color of the center stone. I've got in mind Yvonne's red spinel melee for this. Can't promise anything on the design front, I offered because it'll provide me entertainment and will be something relaxing I can look forward to. :razz: I'll take a shot at a design over the weekend and get it to PS Saturday night.

Wow that would be amazing @voce I would really appreciate it.
@Rfisher getting quotes both ways is good. My emerald cut is a good size, so it was a fairly good amount of baguettes. I ended up better and in budget the way we did it. It would have been a lot more costly with the custom cut corners.

@Pennyc I think your stone will get lost in a bag halo. That's just my personal view. I don't think I'd go that direction.

Thank you so much @elizat can I ask what do you think would be the best way to set this to make the most of the stone?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
This is a pretty concept:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did my best to somewhat proportion the rings the same to your size center, as they were proportioned to the size stones of the inspo pics. I’m probably off a bit!
8261BB85-5757-44DA-A707-71A87C384BF3.jpeg 096F2B50-D1CB-4542-81D1-1B91BAB4B83C.jpeg FA538150-4F30-4C11-A74B-2B329FA093BC.jpeg 4967C0BB-D345-4604-A0A4-8E1F80F8AF77.jpeg
I also did @elizat as she posted hers here. I hope that’s ok!

You of course can do any proportions you wish!

I immediately thought of these two rings that have red spinels that are just a bit larger than yours, but not way much
This one used to belong to Sparkliesluver
AFBE31FA-A68A-4C1D-9390-F3B3BFC56952.jpeg
And once again I hope it’s ok to post this one, belongs to @lovedogs
559BF3FC-6C2B-4D57-A4FA-79960DCBDAD7.jpeg
Both are substantial, and very gorgeous!
Just depends on what you are looking for? Dainty or not so dainty. :)

Last edited:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much @elizat that is super helpful. I have quite large fingers and was even thinking of making it a middle finger ring but that would make it a size 10 so don't know if it will work.

I am going to share your mockups and the ones @voce creates with my jeweller too

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Goodness apologies @Rfisher i didn’t link your name above! I would have had no idea how to make the proportions accurate I was just guessing @lovedogs design is extremely lovely

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the baguette frame but I think the stone is too small. I would do a Deco-y geometric double halo of white round diamonds (echoing the outline of the stone) to set it off and create a little more real estate without being too wispy or fragile. The last pic above is the closest, imo -- but I would want it more geometric-looking.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Pennyc I love your spinel-such a great color! What a fun project :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20200614_010535.jpg
Each square on the paper represents 1mm; I've sized stones roughly to scale. This is using 28 1.4mm red spinel melee, 2 5x3 kite diamond melee, 2 2mm diamond melee, and 8 1.5mm diamond melee.

After more consideration, I think Rfisher's mock ups, replacing the triangle cuts with small rounds, will be a more faithful rendition of the LV ring, and easier/cheaper to reproduce.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20200614_010535.jpg
Each square on the paper represents 1mm; I've sized stones roughly to scale. This is using 28 1.4mm red spinel melee, 2 5x3 kite diamond melee, 2 2mm diamond melee, and 8 1.5mm diamond melee.

After more consideration, I think Rfisher's mock ups, replacing the triangle cuts with small rounds, will be a more faithful rendition of the LV ring, and easier/cheaper to reproduce.

You are all so talented with mock ups!!! I'm impressed

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
That is wonderful @voce I am going to save this to share with the jeweller as well.

I really appreciate the time it took you to do this mock up.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all

Feels like forever since I posted. We have had some family drama so this got put on the back burner.

Unfortunately the price for the designs above is out of the question now as done by my jeweller.

I was thinking of looking at an ivy and rose design or a CRD design so it isn't hand made?

Any recommendations appreciated I probably have about a $1500 USD budget

voce

Ideal_Rock

What do you think of that one? It'll probably cost you $100 for additional setting cost and $50 to resize, so for $500-$600 it'll be under budget with great finger coverage.

Some of the other Ivy and Rose mounts are more square halo like. I think the one I linked will look better with a non-square stone, since there's enough interesting things going on with the other geometric elements the center stone will look good as long as it's symmetric E-W.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I definitely want some kind of diamond edge to the setting. I know baguettes are expensive I was thinking of a regular halo but I just love the baguette look. I would love to see the setting you are speaking of,

Wow i love that last one
I personally love the baguette idea a whole lot more than a regular halo (im just not a halo girl)
however i also really really really love that first setting - a lot ! !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much @elizat that is super helpful. I have quite large fingers and was even thinking of making it a middle finger ring but that would make it a size 10 so don't know if it will work.

I am going to share your mockups and the ones @voce creates with my jeweller too

I vote ......do we have votes in this LOL !
I vote for middle finger

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results