shape
carat
color
clarity

How to set dark grey spinel

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased the below grey spinel and I am wondering how to set it?

I have no skills at taking pics of gems sadly so I have thrown in a link for the video

It is very dark but sunlight and indoor light it has a glittery dispersion with a purplish hue. It can look a little metallic too

I was thinking of a gift for my sister maybe set in rose gold which she loves

Or my daughter is 16 next year and has a bit of a love of the dark side (think teenage emo girl) maybe something unusual for her in an oxidised setting.

I figure its a gem for halloween for sure anyway. 680C26F8-B853-4792-8218-9DD240E25B60_1_201_a.jpeg E4B360D8-B23B-4ED9-A4BA-381BC816B6E9_1_201_a.jpeg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Its very pretty. I think you have quite a few directions but with some side stones or a halo it would have a nice light/dark contrast.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Second vote for halo for contrast - and white gold - the stone is a cool tone and I’m not sure rose gold would do it any favours.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh I'd do an oxidised metal setting with some very white rose cuts thrown in somehow... :dance:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Tempted to try and keep the cost down on this one could I do some moissanites? Or would zircons work as a halo or side stones?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a left feild though
Rose gold with vertically set diamond side stones

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Tiny diamonds wouldn’t be prohibitive if you went for micropave.

Although this photo is lending the lie to my post on the rise gold front.... E742A855-18CD-4012-BE29-D799C43B45B4.jpeg

If your spinel has a brownish undertone this would work. Check it in natural lighting and see what you feel.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tempted to try and keep the cost down on this one could I do some moissanites? Or would zircons work as a halo or side stones?

Have you priced getting something from lightbox and using MMD ?
It might be worth pricing it out if you go with sidestones
It seems a popular thing to do here
I'm not sure but for a 3 stone ring you could buy a pair of earings

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I have a left feild though
Rose gold with vertically set diamond side stones

so length ways (NS) along the finger instead of EW?
Have you priced getting something from lightbox and using MMD ?
It might be worth pricing it out if you go with sidestones
It seems a popular thing to do here
I'm not sure but for a 3 stone ring you could buy a pair of earings

I have never used Lightbox but I will check that out. Not adverse to MMD the spinel was a good deal.

Tiny diamonds wouldn’t be prohibitive if you went for microwave.

Although this photo is lending the lie to my post on the rise gold front.... E742A855-18CD-4012-BE29-D799C43B45B4.jpeg

If your spinel has a brownish undertone this would work. Check it in natural lighting and see what you feel.

It def has a purple undertone. I can't see any brown

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so length ways (NS) along the finger instead of EW?

I have never used Lightbox but I will check that out. Not adverse to MMD the spinel was a good deal.

It def has a purple undertone. I can't see any brown

Um - have the spinel going what ever way has most finger coverage and then maybe have the side stones mounted lengthwise down the finger - does that make sence?
like a sandwhich :mrgreen2:
Lots of ladies on here have brought light box pendents to use the stone in a ring - im sure a few must also have brought earings to get two stones- i guess you would have to make sure they were perfect matches- but im guessing they have a good return policy

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can get a decent deal on zircon, mastercuts may have had trillions if they have not sold. And depending on the exact size of the stone you may be able to find a pre-made setting with a halo from Ivy and Rose for fairly cheap.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or my daughter is 16 next year and has a bit of a love of the dark side (think teenage emo girl) maybe something unusual for her in an oxidised setting.

Bezel-set E/W in a wide white-metal band would be awesome. No side-stones; no frill. Can take a lot of abuse and spinel is durable. Perfect for a (mature) teen. Spouse and daughter like mine that are set this way.

Last edited:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Trillions sold but there are 3 pairs of rounds.

Screenshot_20201026-225008_Chrome.jpg

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I’m in Australia I don’t think they would post to me?

The spinel is 2.2CT not sure on dimensions

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a metal halo in RG?

Or a halo with neon pink melees like these?

DK :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
I vote for alternating pink and white spinels in the halo. Zircons are a softer stone, so I don't know what happens if they get bumped. And silver spinel are very cheap to acquire regardless, with much better durability, facet wear.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello fellow dark grey spinel :)
I think rose gold would look lovely with your stone, depending on the specific alloy as the of it can be all over the place.

traditional look of halo/three stone would be pretty, of course. White stones or otherwise.

For edgy, I’d head towards an engraved and oxidized metal halo with prongs.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a small oval one from JD, and have planned to set it with a couple of small MRBs or pink ones as side stone in a rub over Gypsy setting like this:

570777 570861

I love grey Spinels, and have been collecting small round ones intended for a Boodles Bubble Ring.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results