shape
carat
color
clarity

How to respond

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
What is an good response when people make a snarky comment about diamonds not being rare, it being a marketing ploy, etc? I just bought a new diamond, and I'm sure these comments will come from certain individuals I can't avoid (work). To clarify, I don't really care what they think about how I spend my money, it just would be nice to have a valid rebuttal to their "woke" comments. Thanks

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Are they really rare? Across the board - I don't think so. Now - if you're talking D color FL Type lla 3+ carat - yes, they are uncommon.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I've never heard anyone actually ask that question. The reality is that diamonds are not rare at all.

The more likely question you'll get it "Is it real?". Most of the times they are genuinely curious, but every now and then you'll get the jerk who asks condescendingly.

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: The honest answer to that would be, "to feel superior to you because I'm very self-righteous and arrogant". Oh. And broke. I mean WOKE.

Yep, and they'll probably try to tell you that you're being sensitive. :roll:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is an good response when people make a snarky comment about diamonds not being rare, it being a marketing ploy, etc? I just bought a new diamond, and I'm sure these comments will come from certain individuals I can't avoid (work). To clarify, I don't really care what they think about how I spend my money, it just would be nice to have a valid rebuttal to their "woke" comments. Thanks

forget about them
show me your new ring
ill love it
and i don't care about clever marketing (serously what's wrong with it anyway?) or how rear diamonds are or arnt
they look pretty and make people happy and that's enough for me

people who cannot be happy for other people are too sad
and maybe not so much jelouse of a new ring but perhaps jelouse of circumstances - not even necessarily material circumstances just other people's happiness

its a pity you can't avoid them because negativity can be draining but remember the primary reason most people go to work is to earn a living, not make friends (and i admit all my friends bar one have always been work related) but would you even associate with these people if you didn't work with them
i wouldn't stoop to their level with a clever comment back id just ignore them
or maybe stay positive and upbeat with a 'well they make me happy'

i know its frustrating when some people are so self righteous
its just about putting other people down

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
Don't bother arguing with them. There really is nothing either of you can say to each other that will change anyone's opinion. Maybe a polite, "Hmm, yes you're probably right." Then change the subject. You don't have to defend what you enjoy any more than they do.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I recall someone on here suggesting previously in a similar situation, something along the lines of "How nice that you feel comfortable enough to offer your opinion" (with a somewhat insincere smile) should place enough of a seed of doubt in their mind if they have half a brain, lol.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I tend to ignore them because it’s hard to win an argument with idiots but, for your own peace of mind I’ll give you some data.

Total worldwide diamond production in 2018 was148M carats according to the Diamond Producers Association. That’s rough stones. About 50-75% of that gets lost in the cutting process so the total worldwide production is on the order of 50M carats. 10 tons. That’s a lot of diamonds to be sure but it would fit in a single reasonably large truck. That’s all the diamonds from every mine in the whole world, all year. The vast majority of those stones are crap. Most are tiny, like the things are around the bezel of your watch or in that $199 tennis bracelet at the mall. I can’t find the stats right now but clarity better than I1, color in the D-Z range, and size bigger than half a carat is not even 10% of that.

That’s still a lot, but now we’re talking about a single pickup truck full. I don’t know what they think ‘scarce’ means but by pretty much any definition this qualifies. It's certainly not the image they want to portray of DeBeers scooping them up by the bucket full and stashing them in a secret warehouse somewhere. The real magic is on the demand side. The world has 7 Billion people. Billion with a B. Half of them are women, and more than half of those get married at least once. Some multiple times. That’s 2 BILLION brides plus self-purchasers, multiple purchasers, men, and diamonds that are used for things other than engagement rings. Not all brides have a diamond, of course, but even a small percentage of that is a huge market.

https://diamondproducers.com/diamond-industry/productionstats/

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say, looking at snarky person: "Did you know peridot crystals are present in some meteorites? Did you know most natural diamonds are between 1 billion and 3.5 billion years old? Aren't rocks and stones fascinating? I sure think so, plus they're so beautiful!" ... and then I'd smile.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Leave your diamond at home. (First World) Problem solved.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
@denverappraiser According to IGS, “De Beers maintains a LARGE WAREHOUSE of uncut diamonds in London”.

I may be, as you so gently hinted, an “idiot”, but I do know how to find basic information on the internet. Here is the IGS article:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the only real reply is "thanks for your thoughts!" in an obnoxiously cheerful tone and just don't engage any further. Because of course it's usually jealousy and insecurity that prompts someone to comment like that. And you can't do anything about that.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your good advice. I know you all are absolutely right about not letting anyone steal my rainbow, and I certainly wasn't going to. I love my ring and don't care what others think. My Bill's are paid, kids are fed, and I can buy what I want that makes me happy. I just enjoy pointing out to these know-it-alls some other viewpoints that they often fail to see. I was interested to hear if anyone had any data that may contradict that viewpoint, like the debate over if lab diamonds are really more eco friendly when you consider the amount of energy that is currently needed to produce diamond, etc. @denverappraiser thank you for some hard numbers, it certainly puts it more in perspective! 20191120_131044.jpg @Daisys and Diamonds here's a pic, since you twisted my arm;)2

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that is all anyone can think of to say upon seeing your diamond, I don't think I'd really have a conversation with them about it either. It costs nothing to say it's lovely (which it is!) and leave it at that. Bringing up whether or not diamonds are rare is just a very odd response to seeing someone's ring!

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
You're ring is beautiful!

I think the kind of people you describe are often only interested in showing off how much they know, (and how right they are), rather than actually having a reasonable conversation involving different viewpoints. It'll be like talking to a brick wall.

I'd just enjoy my ring and not let them try to make me feel guilty, but I completely get how their smugness can get to you.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There are just enough. The rest is too rare.

[For a tradition of habit.]

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is a beautiful antique. I doubt your workplace "diamondsplainer" has ever seen one and has no clue what that even means, let alone knowing enough to make educated arguments on the subject.

I might say, "My diamond was cut over 100 years ago. If you'd like to learn more about antique diamonds I'm happy to chat sometime! But if you just want to insult my jewelery, I'm bowing out." Then smile and walk away!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@denverappraiser According to IGS, “De Beers maintains a LARGE WAREHOUSE of uncut diamonds in London”.

I may be, as you so gently hinted, an “idiot”, but I do know how to find basic information on the internet. Here is the IGS article:

Garry appears to disagree with the article... lol

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a neighbor like this who frequently makes a snarky critique of any change we make to our place. With her I’ve found it’s easiest to say “Well, I’m happy with it. Now please excuse me as I need to go to the bathroom/mailbox/whatever”. They aren’t more knowledgeable or woke, they are just rude; and rude people tend to stay rude throughout their life.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Garry appears to disagree with the article... lol

Of course he (and most other members of the trade) would state that they disagree with anything negative said about their industry - lol! :liar::liar::liar:

I love diamonds, or I wouldn’t be here. But the older I get the more I’m convinced that buying pre-loved or lab-grown is a much more thoughtful choice.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't even bother engaging with these people. It would make it seem like you care about what they're saying, which you don't. I'd probably just say something like "I really don't know but that doesn't matter to me. I love my new ring and I'm enjoying it."

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course he (and most other members of the trade) would state that they disagree with anything negative said about their industry - lol! :liar::liar::liar:

I love diamonds, or I wouldn’t be here. But the older I get the more I’m convinced that buying pre-loved or lab-grown is a much more thoughtful choice.

...then you do exactly that.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
“Diamonds are not rare”. “And your point is?”

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results