shape
carat
color
clarity

How to play up gray?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am stalking a fancy colored gray diamond that I can’t buy....yet (shhhh. Just let me believe it’ll be there when I’m ready)

But help me daydream! What metal or setting best would play up the gray? I posted in rockytalky but realized my colored stone fam would probably have more experience with this given love of gray spinels or trying to minimize gray tones in our blue gems :p

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Play it up with coloured melee or play it up with metal choice? Maybe this is where palladium shines as it can become a lovely gunmetal gray.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Play it up with coloured melee or play it up with metal choice? Maybe this is where palladium shines as it can become a lovely gunmetal gray.

Hmm. I would think any gray metal would wash it out from lack of contrast? I would think something super white would do the most no? Like white opal shell lol.

I do think most of the gray gems I’ve seen here have been set in white/gray metals.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink halo? I love pink and gray together. :kiss2:

Rough example

pinkhalogreydiamond.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know these gems are not the same as yours (color or shape) but just to illustrate an example.
What about a 3 stone with pink sidetones?
jewelry-366723-ring-platinum-platinum_rose_gold-88723.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently did a grey spinel with ruby melee. The spinel is a bit darker than your diamond, so worked well with a white metal. C9988712-9F88-4295-BDEF-4E39A1B7B8DC.jpeg

Beautiful. Love the pink with the gray and the white metal. Lovely contrast.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh. Didn’t know pink and gray was such a thing!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh. Didn’t know pink and gray was such a thing!

Oh I don't know if it is a thing but I have been wearing pink and gray for decades. LOVE the combo!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Brushed/satin peachy-rose 18k or even the ‘antique gold’ color from Klass would be amazing. Also, how gorgeous would the grey diamond be if paired with a pearl of the same color?! Wow!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brushed/satin peachy-rose 18k or even the ‘antique gold’ color from Klass would be amazing. Also, how gorgeous would the grey diamond be if paired with a pearl of the same color?! Wow!

Oooo. I mean at 3ct and an excellent cut, this gray diamond could stand up to being paired with some big gorgeous gray taihitians. No idea how but I like where your brain is going.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
So, I can’t draw, despite all my years in Art History classes. And I’m already thinking of one particular jeweller’s style since I follow them on IG, so obviously I’m biased. Combine those two factors and you have this amateurish attempt at conveying a modern and textural Toi et Moi ring with a grey pearl (please if anyone here can better illustrate i’d be so grateful) and the grey diamond. Now, the proportions here are off because the stone in question is nearly double the pictured one’s size.

292C5C9A-1995-459F-B603-3542D1D5E2A9.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Def. Pink and grey. with grey light pinks end up being more pink pink and vivid pinks can be more reddish. up to you to decide the tones that you want to work with.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
Your diamond is awesome! I think you'll have so much fun deciding how to set it.

I just put a light grey Montana sapphire into a repurposed yellow gold solitaire setting, and am very happy with the yellow gold/grey combo. It had been in silver, and was kinda washed out an blah in a matching metal. The yellow makes it pop.

My dark grey/black diamond is also in yellow gold, and looks wonderful with it. Clearly, I think yellow gold and grey stones are the best pairing. :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I would go with pink rubies and blue sapphires for contrast. You can find them in Yvonne's shop.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
So I am stalking a fancy colored gray diamond that I can’t buy....yet (shhhh. Just let me believe it’ll be there when I’m ready)

But help me daydream! What metal or setting best would play up the gray? I posted in rockytalky but realized my colored stone fam would probably have more experience with this given love of gray spinels or trying to minimize gray tones in our blue gems :p

This happened to me ALL the time!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
'Hemmerle gray' is one fun search - www

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I can’t draw, despite all my years in Art History classes. And I’m already thinking of one particular jeweller’s style since I follow them on IG, so obviously I’m biased. Combine those two factors and you have this amateurish attempt at conveying a modern and textural Toi et Moi ring with a grey pearl (please if anyone here can better illustrate i’d be so grateful) and the grey diamond. Now, the proportions here are off because the stone in question is nearly double the pictured one’s size.

292C5C9A-1995-459F-B603-3542D1D5E2A9.jpeg

Haha for me it’d probably have to be a pendant cause I don’t have the finger real estate for 2 9.5mm rounds!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results