shape
carat
color
clarity

How to detect a moronic jewelry store employee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 10:05:58 AM
Author: gwendolyn
While shopping with a girl friend: ''Come back with your men so I know you''re a serious buyer.'' Like I couldn''t buy something on my own, or get educated before purchasing?
23.gif
Um. Wow. That''s the stupidest thing I''ve ever heard. I can''t even...UGH.

If someone said that to me, you can bet $$$ that I''d say something to them.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 11:48:02 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 4/12/2009 10:05:58 AM

Author: gwendolyn

While shopping with a girl friend: ''Come back with your men so I know you''re a serious buyer.'' Like I couldn''t buy something on my own, or get educated before purchasing?
23.gif

Um. Wow. That''s the stupidest thing I''ve ever heard. I can''t even...UGH.

If someone said that to me, you can bet $$$ that I''d say something to them.

Gwen, I can''t believe that they said that to you! That''s just offensive. Besides my engagement ring, I''ve bought every "nicer" piece of jewellery I owned - my wedding band, three pairs of diamond earrings, and two smaller diamond rings. DH is very good at buying silver and titanium jewellery but I know what I like best when it comes to spending more than $100. This is the norm with several women on here!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m helping a friend buy an engagement ring, so I brought him to the local mall to show him some low quality settings. We heard so many amusing things. The best part was that ALL of the stores pulled out those big books of bulky stock settings when they realized they didn''t have what we were looking for.

Some highlights:

SA: "Here''s a halo setting that sounds like the one you were looking for."
Me: "That''s a bezel-set diamond, not a halo."
SA: "Um, I think I know what a halo is. This isn''t a bezel."
Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Store Manager comes over: "Ma''am, this is a halo setting. Trust us."
Me: "Then what do you call a bezel?"
SA: "Well, this would also be a bezel."
Me:
23.gif
40.gif

SA: "Here is a 1 ct I I2 oval, it is perfect for what you''re looking for. It''s near colorless, and there are no visible inclusions."
Me: "How can it be an I2 with no visible inclusions?"
SA: "Here, look. You can only see the inclusions if you look at it from the side, not from the top."

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been hunting for a new wedding band and I went into several maul stores to look at rings to get an idea of what I wanted and I told the SA I am looking for a band that has a least I color and SI2 or better on clarity, the women looked at me and said that will have be a custom ring
23.gif
Oh yea I will get my new ring sometime this week and guess what I didnt have to go custom, lol

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 12:29:50 PM
Author: Haven
I''m helping a friend buy an engagement ring, so I brought him to the local mall to show him some low quality settings. We heard so many amusing things. The best part was that ALL of the stores pulled out those big books of bulky stock settings when they realized they didn''t have what we were looking for.

Some highlights:

SA: ''Here''s a halo setting that sounds like the one you were looking for.''
Me: ''That''s a bezel-set diamond, not a halo.''
SA: ''Um, I think I know what a halo is. This isn''t a bezel.''
Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Store Manager comes over: ''Ma''am, this is a halo setting. Trust us.''
Me: ''Then what do you call a bezel?''
SA: ''Well, this would also be a bezel.''
Me:
23.gif
40.gif

SA: ''Here is a 1 ct I I2 oval, it is perfect for what you''re looking for. It''s near colorless, and there are no visible inclusions.''
Me: ''How can it be an I2 with no visible inclusions?''
SA: ''Here, look. You can only see the inclusions if you look at it from the side, not from the top.''
OMG pleaasseeeee tell me you are kidding about the halo/bezel.
23.gif
40.gif
6.gif

I probably would have broke down in tears and giggles on the floor!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock

Some highlights:

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

SA: ''Here is a 1 ct I I2 oval, it is perfect for what you''re looking for. It''s near colorless, and there are no visible inclusions.''

SA: ''Here, look. You can only see the inclusions if you look at it from the side, not from the top.''
WAhahahaha!
grins.gif

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock

Some highlights:

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Wow.
20.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Some highlights:

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Haha!!! I wonder you didn''t bang your head off the glass counter!!

By the way Haven.. I don''t know if you saw my reply to what you posted on the last page of this thread... I wasn''t referring to you.. if you read it you will see. I am worried I hurt your feelings.. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-your-ring-size-is-the-perfect-size.110877/page-3

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

Some highlights:

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Wow! All you can do in that case is laugh!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
"No that''s not an asscher, it''s a princess..." BLahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
The local jeweler has a good goldsmith but the sales help . . .

Didn't know what a window was.

Insisted that the apple green sphene was peridot. She said she's never heard of sphene.

The person at State Farm who does jewelry said my cushion is a princess. I said, again, "No, look, here," and showed her it's GIA papers. She said she never heard of a cushion.

Eeesh.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 5:23:10 PM
Author: sonomacounty
The local jeweler has a good goldsmith but the sales help . . .

Didn''t know what a window was.

Insisted that the apple green sphene was peridot. She said she''s never heard of sphene.

The person at State Farm who does jewelry said my cushion is a princess. I said, again, ''No, look, here,'' and showed her it''s GIA papers. She said she never heard of a cushion.

Eeesh.

I think this is actually pretty common. When I was first looking, from the very beginning I had somehow discovered cushions, but even in nicer independent stores, I''d say 4 out of 6 SA would insist that a princess and a cushion were the same. I''d blink, let them know that they clearly must not have what I am looking for then, and leave.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
May, it was the State Farm jewelry insurance woman who didn''t know what a cushion was, not a sales person.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Some highlights:

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Me:
23.gif
40.gif

Omg that''s so ridiculous! I think that''s when you pull out the "customer is ALWAYS right" routine
2.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
"Only square cushions sparkle."
20.gif
Um, my 1.2 l/w would beg to differ.
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie dear, no worries, I saw your reply! I should have written a response on that thread, so sorry.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Haven. I would have looked like TGal''s avatar...

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Omg this thread is hilarious!

My recent experience:

Me: May I borrow an idealscope pls?

SA: (passes me a loupe)

ME:
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Lord. It's gotten so bad JOHN can spot them.

"Oh it's perfectly safe to buy an uncertified diamond, you don't need a peice of paper to tell you the same things we can"

" What a lovely princess" (Asscher)

"Oh isn't that a beautiful emerald cut?" (radiant)

"I've never heard of that cut." (the woman with asschers in her display case, about asschers)

"Sapphires are always treated, you wouldn't like how they look naturally." UM, What?

"No one makes jewelery fron 22K gold it's too soft."

It goes on and on.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 12:58:57 AM
Author: Gypsy
Oh Lord. It''s gotten so bad JOHN can spot them.

''Oh it''s perfectly safe to buy an uncertified diamond, you don''t need a peice of paper to tell you the same things we can''

'' What a lovely princess'' (Asscher)

''Oh isn''t that a beautiful emerald cut?'' (radiant)

''I''ve never heard of that cut.'' (the woman with asschers in her display case, about asschers)

''Sapphires are always treated, you wouldn''t like how they look naturally.'' UM, What?

''No one makes jewelery fron 22K gold it''s too soft.''

It goes on and on.
That''s too funny. Especially about John. My kids can spot these dummies a mile away. They know too much. A good thing, for sure, but man had no idea how much I have rubbed off on them...
3.gif

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Now this comment wasn''t from what you ladies call a ''mall store'' jeweler.. it was from one of the higher end stores (read: expensive) which makes it all the little more disturbing...

Sales lady: What are you doing?
Me: I am trying to see if i can see the arrows in this diamond.
Sales lady: It''s impossible to see the arrows on a diamond with only your eyes.

Maybe your diamonds lady!
emteeth.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
-chick leans over counter, flaunting the "girls" "oh honey, you should get her this ring". To my boyf. in front of me. it was the uuugggggglllllllllliest ring ever. EVER. frozen tobacco spit.
- E turns to me, "um, are her boobs supposed to make me buy because i should feel bad looking at them, or awkward and just want her to leave me alone"

lol. smart boyfriend :)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 7:01:36 AM
Author: jcarlylew
-chick leans over counter, flaunting the ''girls'' ''oh honey, you should get her this ring''. To my boyf. in front of me. it was the uuugggggglllllllllliest ring ever. EVER. frozen tobacco spit.

- E turns to me, ''um, are her boobs supposed to make me buy because i should feel bad looking at them, or awkward and just want her to leave me alone''

lol. smart boyfriend :)

LOL! Say what? Baaahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
seriously. fortunately E doesnt fall for that "sales trick". although if it was at neiman marcus, i wish he did lol
17.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One salesperson showed me a cushion and insisted it was an asscher. Another one didn''t know what a Royal Asscher was.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t set foot in a B&M jewelry store since finding PS, except for the small store we ended up purchasing the e-ring from. It''s a small, stand-alone, privately owned store, and FI really liked it from before, so since he likes buying things he can see first, we went there. We dealt only with the owner, and he was really nice and very knowledgeable. But we''ve still had problems with getting back in touch with the people there - they somehow have a problem with picking up the phone to return a message.

Anyway, before PS, we went to a few mall stores, and to a certain stand-alone chain store... "He went to ___!" The first moronic person we dealt with kept giving the sales person pitch, which was so obvious because he kept using our names.
SA: Now, Sarah, here''s a setting I think you would just love.
SA: Jason, let me tell you why you should purchase from us...
SA: This is our famous diamond cut with more facets, Sarah, so you and Jason will just love the sparkle of this one.
BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I got so sick of it. There was a setting there I liked, and we got the item number for it. When we went back, another moronic person jumped on us, and we gave him the number to see it again. He couldn''t find it. Looked through all the cases, and it wasn''t even in the book, according to him. Haha. But he wouldn''t let me look in the book to find it - it was "classified." We left and never went back. Thankfully we found PS soon after that.
9.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Some of this stuff is RIDICULOUS!!! Haha I can''t believe some of the things you guys have gotten from salespeople.
32.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Way back when I was trying on wedding bands a SA complimented my ring and said she just loooooved princesses. I responded that they were pretty, but mine was a radiant. She pretty much scolded me and said, "no it''s not honey, radiants don''t come in squares."
38.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 12:58:57 AM
Author: Gypsy

'Sapphires are always treated, you wouldn't like how they look naturally.' UM, What?
I got one like that. Was at the counter of a very high-end establishment. With my BLUEBERRY on. Was just poking around looking at their gemstone rings (ie: to see any that were nearly as nice as mine!
31.gif
) Sales Rep says: "Any sapphire that isn't navy blue is a synthetic". WTF???

1. That is a totally stupid comment.
2. I was WEARING my ring. Talk about an insult.

So I took a little time out of my "busy schedule" to tell her the story of Jeff White cutting the stone for me...certification (wazzat???), non-heat trated, and how Whiteflash made my ring. (ooh, you can't trust an INTERNET JEWELLER!)...

Should have saved my breath but it felt good setting the record straight.

LS

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think all of the Asscher stuff I''ve heard has been covered.

It was the day before my wedding, and DH and I had headed to T & Co. at the Bellagio to pick up all of the wedding gifts I had ordered for friends and family. The SA offered to steam my ring, and when he came back, he looked terribly confused.

SA: I don''t think I''ve ever seen a cushion that looked like this before.
Me: That''s because it''s not a cushion.
SA: Well, it''s not an emerald cut, so what is it?
Me: It''s called an Asscher, or a square emerald . . .
SA: An ass-what?
Me:
9.gif
Nevermind . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results