shape
carat
color
clarity

How to decide whether or not to buy a small stone

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
It's a purple sapphrie, it's only 1.4ct, and a pretty deep native cut, so it's faceup size is only around the same as a 1ct sapphire.
But it has the color I can't resist, I'm already so bummed that I have so many 1.x sapphire and not a really nice >2ct fancy color sapphire. I keep buying small sapphires but I don't really need them at all...But this one is so pretty, that purple is so dreamy!

How to decide?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I'll say it's got identical color of my profile stone, maybe even better...but an native oval. No window though

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
If you want a slightly larger one I'd say save up and get the larger one.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
OTL|1390424211|3598796 said:
I'll say it's got identical color of my profile stone, maybe even better...but an native oval. No window though

Plus you just said that you don't really NEED anymore like the ones you already have. I know that it's hard to resist a nice stone though.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
innerkitten|1390425066|3598815 said:

But I didn't see any larger one has the color. Yet always meet small but nice stones...

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
innerkitten|1390425140|3598818 said:

Plus you just said that you don't really NEED anymore like the ones you already have. I know that it's hard to resist a nice stone though.

So I just walk away? Knowing that it would look really pretty and forget it? Yep, that is so hard.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
OTL|1390425393|3598821 said:
innerkitten|1390425066|3598815 said:

But I didn't see any larger one has the color. Yet always meet small but nice stones...

I bet a nice purple in the perfect size is out there waiting for you. Sometimes it takes a little longer to find certain stones.

But in the end it's up to you. You know what you like.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1390425525|3598822 said:
innerkitten|1390425140|3598818 said:

So I just walk away? Knowing that it would look really pretty and forget it? Yep, that is so hard.

Yes, that is exactly what you do.

Bex

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the "save your money" votes. Also, I swear I've seen an uptick in beautiful lavender/medium purple sapphires lately. I've been on a hunt for a 2ct ish light peach sapphire, but I keep seeing lovely lilac ones that are almost enough to make me change my mind! And the prices are pretty reasonable compared to pads or classic blues, which is a huge plus in my book!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Keep your eye on the ball...er...good-sized purple sapphire. When I have that temptation I tell myself, "Self, you can't buy them all!" A while ago I decided not to buy anything, no matter how great, unless it's a size I want. Too many too-small stones here too. I don't set them. It's hard but you can do it.

The trouble w/CS is that there will ALWAYS be another one along that you drool over.

--- Laurie

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1390428511|3598862 said:
Keep your eye on the ball...er...good-sized purple sapphire. When I have that temptation I tell myself, "Self, you can't buy them all!" A while ago I decided not to buy anything, no matter how great, unless it's a size I want. Too many too-small stones here too. I don't set them. It's hard but you can do it.

The trouble w/CS is that there will ALWAYS be another one along that you drool over.

--- Laurie

It's like you are reading my mind. Except the decision part. I loose control when I see beautiful things and can really overlook the dark side of it. So lucky I only have low bar on stones, not men!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Bex|1390427481|3598850 said:
I agree with the "save your money" votes. Also, I swear I've seen an uptick in beautiful lavender/medium purple sapphires lately. I've been on a hunt for a 2ct ish light peach sapphire, but I keep seeing lovely lilac ones that are almost enough to make me change my mind! And the prices are pretty reasonable compared to pads or classic blues, which is a huge plus in my book!

Please please fine me a link of those lilac purple sapphires in 2ct-3ct! I have been searching for almost a year with no luck! Destiny send you to this thread with a mission :lol:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I agree OTL, if it's not the size you want hold out.

Damn I saw a pretty one yesterday - check out Multicolour, it was a cushion I think - and I don't remember any details so it could have been smaller... sorry.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
No... it was much lighter than that, a pale lavender.
ETA: It was closer in colour to my avatar.

Can you put up a colour swatch of what you're aiming for? Just a Paint (PC) or ColorPicker (Mac) sample will do.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin|1390433258|3598962 said:
No... it was much lighter than that, a pale lavender.
ETA: It was closer in colour to my avatar.

Can you put up a colour swatch of what you're aiming for? Just a Paint (PC) or ColorPicker (Mac) sample will do.

Not specific a pantone color actually, but a range of color, like your profile picture, or my profile picture, or something a little bluer.

But I'm definitely not looking for pale stones.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Ah... gotcha. I was thinking pale.

Soooo...
2-3cts
mid lavender/purple
$ range?
shape?

That MC one is very pretty, pity it's smaller than you want.

ETA: the one in your av is beautiful by the way!!! :love:

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin|1390433861|3598971 said:
Ah... gotcha. I was thinking pale.

Soooo...
2-3cts
mid lavender/purple
$ range?
shape?

That MC one is very pretty, pity it's smaller than you want.

ETA: the one in your av is beautiful by the way!!! :love:

No specific $ or shape in mind. Just wanted to get the color without window. The MC one contains too much red rather than blue to me.

Thanks, the one I'm considering giving up looks like that, and a little bluer.

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Here are a few that caught my eye...

2.1 carats, 9.7x6.7 $1680
sapphire_pink_453.jpg

This one's a little small at 1.7 carats, bus faces up at 8x6.6 so I threw it in, $770
il_570xn_44.jpg

1.96 carats, 8.9x7.5, $790
il_570xn_45.jpg

2.3 carats, 8.47x7.38, $1600
sapp771_hand2.jpg

My personal favorite... 2.38 ct, 9.2x6.7, $1875 and looks AMAZING in the handshot on the website
sapphire_blue_1153.jpg

This might be too light, 2.29 ct, 8.57x6.6, $985
e30126949c6dcdacb1e9975e54427bae.jpg

Wildfish and Africagems have some nice ones too, but their current prices make my pocketbook wince!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
If you want bigger then don't settle for another small one even though I believe some of them can be seen from space :))

Would you like to start a "hunt" thread for us with the specs and to contain the pics and suggestions? (Put a link to this thread.)

Some nice ones there Bex

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much Bex and Starzin. I'll pass the new thread idea as I don't have to have one for a project or anything, won't waste all PSer's energy on finding it for me, if in the end I don't like any or couldn't afford any then I will feel so sorry for wasting people"s time who helped me. 8)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's this stupid beautiful sapphire from R homer I want and I have to fight used on it lol. It's not even a ct.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Color is king, and a 1 carat stone isn't small. If you love the color get it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1390436929|3599016 said:
Thanks so much Bex and Starzin. I'll pass the new thread idea as I don't have to have one for a project or anything, won't waste all PSer's energy on finding it for me, if in the end I don't like any or couldn't afford any then I will feel so sorry for wasting people"s time who helped me. 8)

Isn't there also something about finding it yourself that makes it special? I know for me for some reason I feel like I've earned it when I find it. Given some of the stones you've managed to find on ebay, I wouldn't be surprised if you feel the same way. The hunt is the agony but also the fun part - the challenge is whether we have the self control to go the distance, or whether we cave along the way and buy other pretty things that distract us (my typical pattern).

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Save for money for what you really want, assuming that by waiting you can afford what you want. Based on your posts, it sounds like you want a larger stone.

I've passed on so many small stones, and I'm glad for it because setting is SO expensive. It costs basically the same for me to set a large versus smaller stone, and sometimes smaller stones need halos, and those are $$$.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of the stones posted so far are definitely more pink. You are looking for a very sought after color, in small AND in large carat sizes, so I wish you a lot of luck in your search.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1390424086|3598792 said:
It's a purple sapphrie, it's only 1.4ct, and a pretty deep native cut, so it's faceup size is only around the same as a 1ct sapphire.
But it has the color I can't resist, I'm already so bummed that I have so many 1.x sapphire and not a really nice >2ct fancy color sapphire. I keep buying small sapphires but I don't really need them at all...But this one is so pretty, that purple is so dreamy!

How to decide?

Well sapphires are pretty dense stones as it is, and if it's only 1.4 carats, and it's cut deep, the face up is going to be very small.

I know how you feel though. I have a mint tourmaline that I love the color on, and it was on the small side at 1.5 carats or so (that's small for me). I kept searching and searching for years, until I actually happened upon a 4 carat mint garnet that pretty much squashed my desire for any more minty stones. If you don't wait to get that "holy grail," you might keep buying and buying until you find it, and that can be expensive. You're very good at searching things out, so I think you'll eventually get what you want.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1390446081|3599153 said:
OTL|1390436929|3599016 said:

Isn't there also something about finding it yourself that makes it special? I know for me for some reason I feel like I've earned it when I find it. Given some of the stones you've managed to find on ebay, I wouldn't be surprised if you feel the same way. The hunt is the agony but also the fun part - the challenge is whether we have the self control to go the distance, or whether we cave along the way and buy other pretty things that distract us (my typical pattern).

Yes, indeed. It also helps to gain self-control. After a good sleep, I've decided to keep searching and waiting. For the holy grail!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for all the wonderful suggestions, now that rush in my blood is gone. But I accidentally saw an antique ring on LT last night and the little thrill in my head because I controlled myself has done something evil----I bought the antique ring from pinkbow instead :nono:

_14013.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1390497722|3599537 said:

Yes, indeed. It also helps to gain self-control. After a good sleep, I've decided to keep searching and waiting. For the holy grail
!

:lol: I was all ready to congratulate you.

until I saw this:

OTL|1390498093|3599541 said:
Thank you all for all the wonderful suggestions, now that rush in my blood is gone. But I accidentally saw an antique ring on LT last night and the little thrill in my head because I controlled myself has done something evil----I bought the antique ring from pinkbow instead :nono:

Oh, OTL! Back to the drawing board.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results