shape
carat
color
clarity

How to care for smoked Ethiopian opal?

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I ordered a black Ethiopian opal off of Etsy. I'm almost positive that it's smoked even though the description doesn't say anything about treatments. But a good sized natural black opal is out of my budget so I thought this was my best alternative. What I can't find is any care instructions for smoked opal. I would appreciate any advice. Screenshot_20230107-213324~2.png

I ordered a black Ethiopian opal off of Etsy. I'm almost positive that it's smoked even though the description doesn't say anything about treatments. But a good sized natural black opal is out of my budget so I thought this was my best alternative. What I can't find is any care instructions for smoked opal. I would appreciate any advice. Screenshot_20230107-213324~2.png

Very pretty in any event! Is it a true Australian black or is it Ethiopian (Welo)? I ask because it was my impression that only the hydrophane material is smoked. Hopefully our opal experts will chime in.

Reactions: KLC
It's Ethiopian welo

Duh... it says it in the first line of your OP! Sorry, not sure how I missed that. Anyway, I don't think treated opal requires any special care beyond the usual suggestions. The only thing I would say is, because smoke and sugar treatments are just surface mods, you wouldn't want to recut or repolish it. As with all opal, keep it away from intense heat or light and sudden temp changes. If the stone is to be set in a ring, be careful not to scratch or knock it. :)

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Duh... it says it in the first line of your OP! Sorry, not sure how I missed that. Anyway, I don't think treated opal requires any special care beyond the usual suggestions. The only thing I would say is, because smoke and sugar treatments are just surface mods, you wouldn't want to recut or repolish it. As with all opal, keep it away from intense heat or light and sudden temp changes. If the stone is to be set in a ring, be careful not to scratch or knock it. :)

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

Glad it was helpful! Basically Australian opal is harder than Ethiopian (so it's less likely to scratch). However, Ethiopian is not as susceptible to fractures. And it doesn't dry out like Australian material. Aussie opal loves water. Ethiopian does not. Enjoy!!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

There are Welo Opal & Stayish mine Opal (they are non-hydrophane) that are this body color untreated. Actually, I'd say it has a dark gray body color. Smoked stones are jet black in body color. This stone is not. I'd say it is untreated.

As far as taking care of a smoked Welo Opal, no different than one that is not smoked. I assume you know how to take care of Welo Opal

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Actually, smoked Welo Opals, are smoked all the way through the stone. Not just the surface.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
There are Welo Opal & Stayish mine Opal (they are non-hydrophane) that are this body color untreated. Actually, I'd say it has a dark gray body color. Smoked stones are jet black in body color. This stone is not. I'd say it is untreated.

As far as taking care of a smoked Welo Opal, no different than one that is not smoked. I assume you know how to take care of Welo Opal

I do. Thank you very much. I thought all welo were lighter color so I just assumed it was smoked. Thanks for the education.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I do. Thank you very much. I thought all welo were lighter color so I just assumed it was smoked. Thanks for the education.

You're welcome!

• Love
Actually, smoked Welo Opals, are smoked all the way through the stone. Not just the surface.

Interesting, thank you! Here the GIA called smoking a "surface modification," but I'm more inclined to believe the firsthand experiences of those in the trade.

I don't want to threadjack, but I know KLC will understand. How is your dear son?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, thank you! Here the GIA called smoking a "surface modification," but I'm more inclined to believe the firsthand experiences of those in the trade.

I don't want to threadjack, but I know KLC will understand. How is your dear son?

Thank you for asking!

He is in intense therapy. We still do not know if he will recover fully but he is doing well. Time will tell. :)

GIA – “Treatments
Opals can be treated by impregnation with oil, wax, or plastic, and by surface modifications called sugar treatment and smoke treatment.”

This most likely refers to Amdamooka Opal which was smoked long before Welo Opal.

Welo Opal being much more porous will absorb the treatment much deeper.

I will try to find the article when I have time.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Well, my opal finally arrived today. It's not the same stone, even though I was assured repeatedly that I would receive the exact stone in the photo. It looks too small to be an 8×6mm. And the body of the stone I received is a dark chocolate brown. My lousy cell phone video makes it appear darker than it actually is. But it has a really nice play of color. And for the price, I'm not inclined to complain about it. All in all, I'm not unhappy with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results