shape
carat
color
clarity

How thick is the band on your setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been trying to decide how thin/thick I want the band on my setting to be. I''ve seen some gorgeous settings on here, but most of the time, no one posts the mm thickness of their setting. I want a thin setting (~2mm), but my mom keeps telling me that''s too thin and the ring will turn, won''t be strong enough, etc. So, I was wondering if you guys could share how think your ring is, and how many carats your center stone is, and maybe share pics if you''re in the mood?

Also, if you''ve wished your ring was thinner, thicker, and why? This would be SOOO helpful! THANKS!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you guys have all seen pictures of my rings. my e-ring is 2.8mm but WF shaved it down so it may be a bit more like 2.6mm. the w-ring is 2.3mm.

i wanted a thinner e-ring but my jeweler was concerned about stability of the melee in the band, so they made it thicker without really asking me (a drag). sometimes i think a thinner band would showcase the diamond more, but sometimes we see larger stones on here that really look enhanced by the size of the band. so i guess that it doesn''t necessarily have to be super thin to look great with the stone.

2mm is very tiny...my toe rings are 2mm! and i bought a wg ring off ebay that is 2mm and it''s tiny. i use it as a spacer between my two rings sometimes for fun. imagining my stone on there would be huge. i also think it would maybe be somewhat top heavy. sometimes when i wear my e-ring as is with no w-ring it gets a little more floppy.

my stone right now is 1.6c. hope this helps!

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
My band is very thin. 1.7 mm or something like that. It''s almost too thin so I want 2 weddings bands, one on each side, so I feel secure.
11.gif

Here it is.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/heres-my-oec-set-in-ritani-endless-love-setting.28391/=

Layne

Shiny_Rock
My ering is 2.3 and my wedding ring is 2, both are flat bands. I am glad I went for thin, and a total of 4mm isn''t too thin but isn''t too bulky. I have had my ering for almost 4 years and wedding band for 3ish. The only problem that I had was my ering was slightly mishappened after a move, I should have taken it off before lifting those heavy boxes. Just a quick repair (while I waited) at the jeweler and nothing about my ring was compromised (ering is Plat with channel set diamonds).

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
You should really try different sizes on. Sometimes what we like and what looks good aren''t the same! I know I wanted a really thin band and it looked horrible on my hand so I went for a thicker one. I also think the ring has to match your personality. Thin rings seem to be more dainty and I am not daint. I love chunky, substantial things. The one I have is 5mm and my wedding ring will be about 2.5mm.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
each of my rings is about 3.5 mm maybe close to 4mm. I also love thick chunky and substantial rings because I am thick, chunky and substantial :razz:

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies!!! I love your rings! And, Michelle, I can''t wait to see pics of yours!

I''ve tried on different sizes, and my fingers definitely look better with a thin band. I tend to wear more delicate jewelry, with the exception of a couple chunkier pieces. Plus, for my height (5'' 6"), I have relatively small hands, so thick rings look overwhelming. But at the same time, I worry that a thin band might look cheap (I''m looking at a simple YG solitare and I don''t want it to look like a temporary setting), and might allow my ring to turn. Can they put a euro shank on such a thin band?

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I have a question for you ladies - and this seems the thread to ask it.
Leon is currently working on my ering.
I originally wanted 2mm, but was concerned about durability and asked for 2.2mm.
Do you think that there will be a big visual difference between 2mm and 2.2mm?
I''m only a 4.5, with small hands.
The waiting is beginning to drive me MAD!

Danke.
Scintillating...

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
For a while I had a tiffany style wg setting that was about 2 mm. It looked cheap to me. That may have been mental to me b/c I knew it WAS cheap. My 2 mm half round wedding band seemed the same to me - cheap. However, again may have been in my head. My new setting is about 3 mm (vatche x prong) and I have the matching wedding band. It is almost too thick! I think the difference is also that it is comfort fit and taller (cathedral-esque) so it is a lot more metal. I love it, but I wouldn''t go any thicker. My diamond is 1.13 RB and my hands are about 5.75. I am 5''8" and of medium build.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scint, I don''t think you will really see any visual difference between 2mm and 2.2mm...and I think it''s a better idea to have 2.2mm anyway for durability.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking more about why I thought my setting looked cheap. I''ve just put my finger on it. It was the fact that it was so low profile. I couldn''t find an eternity band that looked right with it because of the thickness. It seemed like they had used as little metal as possible (but, it was priced accordingly). I needed something that looked decent but was inexpensive when my orig setting started falling apart... but that''s another story. Anyway, height is something to think about when choosing one. There are a lot of people one PS who have gorgeous looking plain thin bands that do NOT look cheap. One thing''s for sure it will really make your diamond stand out!

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
By low profile, you mean the diamond sat low on the band rather than higher up?

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Mine''s very thin, about 1.1-1.2mm with tiny pave stones. I have really small hands - I could wear a 3.75 , but my ring is a 4.25 and loose in this cold weather. It might spin more because it''s so thin, but I think if it were sized smaller it wouldn''t spin so much (I''ve tried putting it on my other fingers and it doesn''t move at all.

I like the thinness because it looks delicate, and I think it makes the stone look bigger!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 10:21:44 PM
Author: JDgirl
By low profile, you mean the diamond sat low on the band rather than higher up?
No, meaning the shoulders of the ring were very low (like the height). It was hard to find a w-band that looked right with it, as most stood up higher.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I thought that I would hate ''chuncky'' rings.. all the way up to actually getting one , that is. mY e-ring width is 4.5mm and my bands are 2mm each for a total of 8.5 mm. I wear a 5.5 size. My spess is a 2.3Carat.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a big "chunky" fan. However, my e-ring is 2 mm. It was a total surprise from my now-husband, but after we picked out our bands together I am totally wanting to get my e-ring redone to match my wedding band, with the same side diamonds (invisable set princess cuts). Yes, he knows about it, we have been to our jeweler together to price out the new setting. It will still be under 3.5 mm. I have to say the 2 mm is most flattering to the diamond, but it does tend to spin, which bugs the heck out of me. I am a pianist, and I have to take my e-ring off while playing to avoid the dreadful clunking effect against the ivories. Also, in "real life" it spins every time my hands get cold and shrink. But looking at it in "normal" weather, I love how the simple setting really showcases my diamond! It''s such a tough decision, but you will eventually figure out the perfect solution, don''t worry!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I actually have no idea how thick my band is, but I'm guessing it's around 2.5mm? I like a thicker band though, as it feels more substantial. I love the look of thinner bands, but I'd be afraid they'd bend, or break. I'd constantly be paranoid. I'm sure well made thin bands don't come close to breaking, but I'd always worry.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Mine is 2 mm, but I have tiny tiny hands- ring is a 3.5. I don''t think a chunkier ring would be a great look on my hand.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone! I actually fell in love with a certain setting at the jeweler, but it''s WAY too chunky. So, I''m having a custom jeweler look at it to see if something similar can be made thinner. But since it has elaborate milgraining and little diamonds, I doubt it can be made as thin as I would really like. Oh well, we''ll have to see. If I can get pics, I''ll be sure to post them...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results