shape
carat
color
clarity

How snug should a ring fit? (plus excitement about my new stone/ring)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Good morning, and Happy Easter! (and Happy all other holidays which you may be celebrating today, excuse me for not knowing the names!
4.gif
)

I wanted to know how snugly a ring should fit! I had my finger resized yesterday when I picked up my GORGEOUS OEC as an upgrade for my engagement ring (pictures later, I promise. It is just amazing though. 1.15 carats, VS1, M, beautifully cut, faces up larger than it''s carat size usually does for an OEC. OMG I am so excited about it!)....

Anyway, phew
3.gif
, the jeweler said I''d been wearing my rings (which have very thin bands) too loose. I was wearing a 4.25. So, he had me try on a 4 and a 3.75. I could get both on and off (and my hands were quite warm, etc). The 4 was easier to get off, but he said that for a ring I''ll be wearing every day and not taking off a lot, I should go with the 3.75 even though I had to tug a bit to get it off.

Opinions? Oh, and I put a down payment on the beautiful Heart of Water Jewels lotus setting in 18K yellow gold (with a matching wedding band, because my current wedding band is white gold). I''ll attach a pic of the setting, though I have posted it before! I CAN''T WAIT!!!
36.gif

etsysetting0719.jpg

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
How hard did you have to tug? For me, if there is a bit of resistance at the knuckle when I take the ring off that's sufficient. I hate having it so tight over the knuckle that it hurts. I wear my rings every day but do take them on and off many times thoughout the day when washing my hands, cleaning, cooking etc. so if it was too tight going over the knuckle I'd quickly have an irritated knuckle. My fingers also tend to puff up depending on temperature. My rings can be snug in the morning and spinning later in the day or vice versa.
20.gif

When I got my ring they wanted me to get a 5 because the SA said the 5.25 looked like it slid over my knuckle too easily. I disagreed since I knew how it FELT and bought the 5.25. It's a good thing too because some days I wouldn't be able to get that 5 on if I took it off and I'd be sad not to be able to wear my ring!

Oooo pretty ring, can't wait to see more pics.
1.gif
Love the detail on the gallery.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
if you''re going to be wearing it alone, get whichever is more comfortable. If you think you might add a band to it at any point, i''d go with the bigger size or it''ll get too tight.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
It''s a 1.5mm band, and the wedding band is also 1.5mm, and I''ll be wearing them together as soon as I get them. I didn''t have to tug THAT hard. I had to work it over the knuckle a little, but, it didn''t hurt or anything. But the 3.75 was more than just slight resistance.

I can''t wait to post pictures, that''s one of the best parts of getting a new stone, methinks!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 12:42:43 PM
Author: soycoffee
It''s a 1.5mm band, and the wedding band is also 1.5mm, and I''ll be wearing them together as soon as I get them. I didn''t have to tug THAT hard. I had to work it over the knuckle a little, but, it didn''t hurt or anything. But the 3.75 was more than just slight resistance.

I can''t wait to post pictures, that''s one of the best parts of getting a new stone, methinks!
With that said, I''d probably get the 4.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I would go with the 4. As long as it is definitely not going to slip off your knuckle. I prefer rings to be a tad bit loose rather than having any hint of sausage finger. I think a little looser makes a finger look thinner too, kind of like clothing. Your fingers are thin either way though.
9.gif

Can''t wait to see pictures!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
soycoffee, I was wondering if you'd made your decision yet! It's going to look fantastic and I can't wait to see it! Maybe it will help me figure out what I want to do! You already picked up the stone? Did you post pics somewhere?

edit-forgot the 2nd e on your name

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 1:10:03 PM
Author: tigian
I would go with the 4. As long as it is definitely not going to slip off your knuckle. I prefer rings to be a tad bit loose rather than having any hint of sausage finger. I think a little looser makes a finger look thinner too, kind of like clothing. Your fingers are thin either way though.
9.gif

Ditto. IMHO, finger ''love handles'' from wearing too tight a ring constitutes a fashion faux pas.
14.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 9:33:14 PM
Author: DiamondFlame

9.gif

Ditto. IMHO, finger ''love handles'' from wearing too tight a ring constitutes a fashion faux pas.
14.gif
And that, my friends, is why God invented "finger lipo"
31.gif

WHY do my fingers always look fatter in pics online? I SWEAR the monitor adds 10 pounds!
LS

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ack, I posted a picture of my hand yesterday and about fainted looking at my fingers-they looked all swollen and stumpy. Certainly wasn''t expecting that, but kinda glad I''m not the only one it happens to!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Btw, if this is something you''d wear for a long time, get the larger size. Many of us tend to gain a few pounds over the years...
11.gif

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the good feedback. I ordered it in the 4. If it seems too big it wouldn''t hard to get it sized down, but I think it will be good!

Yes, I picked the stone, and it isn''t the one I originally thought I was going to get, either. It''s so good to see them in person. My husband is my photographer and he has the night off (silly holidays!) but he''s going to take some pics for me to post soon! It is just an amazing stone!!! The setting is going to be great too and I feel satisfied with the yellow gold. It should be here by mid-may (Ah!! the suspense is going to kill me).

Finger lipo...lol...it''s so comforting to know that it exists...or does it? Lol
41.gif

MajorlyChic

Rough_Rock
Can''t wait to see the pictures!!!

..and great timing for this thread- I have been trying to determine whether I should get a 4 or 4.25 and it looks like I''ll be going with the 4.25 based on these kernels of advice:)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No! Not the 3.75. I'm not a big fan of rings being too tight. It doesn't sound like 3.75 is the right one for you. I think if you want 4.0, go with 4.0. (Edit: I see you did!)

What I do is what I call "process of elimination." I make sure I have tried on three consecutive available sizes. One will be too loose. One will be too tight. The one is the middle is the right one, whether it fits perfectly at every minute of the day, in the cold, in the heat, or not, etc.

I don't like rings that are too tight.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

9.gif

14.gif
That looks awful actually.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 12:00:29 PM
Author:soycoffee
1.15 carats, VS1, M, beautifully cut,

Love the stats, can''t wait for the pictures!
30.gif

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LOVE that setting, absolutely GORGEOUS! Can''t wait to see the shots!
9.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 1:01:33 AM
Author: Imdanny

9.gif

14.gif

I am having this dilemma right now. My old ring st was 4.5. (well, actually size I, in the British / Australian system). It was always really comfortable, but sometimes the e-ring would fly off my hand!!! Now, I have a H1/2... I''m a couple of weeks from giving birth, and it is really tight to get my rings on and off over my knuckle.
6.gif

I''m hoping it will all be ''just right'' within a couple of weeks of the baby being born, I really hope it doesn''t get any tighter than it is! It might get stuck!!!

Just for information, my jeweller actually recommended I go for the smaller size first, because he preferred sizing up, rather than sizing down. His reasoning was that sizing down meant cutting into the ring, whereas he would prefer to heat it, and stretch it out for the half size change...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
def. go for the 4

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you went with the 4.

Just curious, you said the jeweler told you the rings were too loose. Did you ever have trouble with them slipping off?

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for more commentary--I feel even better about the 4. At 4.25 my rings never slipped off, but, there were times when it did worry me, and felt almost like they would slip off with any sort of provocation! Also, my hands are almost always cold, so rarely swollen or anything else (even in the summer). But, if I have kids--I bet they will probably fit nice and tight! (ala Laraonline! Doesn''t sound like fun, but it sounds like it will all be worth it soon:)).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, it sounds like the 4 should be perfect!
28.gif

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go on the 4, as if it is something that you will be wearing for years to come you don''t want to have to get it resized every couple of years because it is too tight. I personally can''t stand rings that are too tight. As long as it doesn''t fly off and there is some resistance at the knuckle you should be fine.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very small sizing bead in my size 4 - that might do the trick for you too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results