Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3c-4c

• any diamond is too big!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually you must have missed her popping in the other day into the Shopping section (of all places) to respond to my Overstock post about how she loved finding new places to shop, and thanking me. Mr. Hyde anyone? Anyone?
rolleyes.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/3/2004 2:41:39 PM fire&ice wrote:

Again, all of you who have diamonds that are too big or too small for your taste, please direct them in my direction.

I will take all rejects big & small!
9.gif
----------------

I'm in on this one, F&I. You take everything east of the Mississippi, and I get everything to the west!!
11.gif
naughty.gif
9.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/3/2004 5:02:13 PM Mara wrote:

Actually you must have missed her popping in the other day into the Shopping section (of all places) to respond to my Overstock post about how she loved finding new places to shop, and thanking me. Mr. Hyde anyone? Anyone?
rolleyes.gif

----------------

Well, I never go in that forum, so there's your explanation.

9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Putting it in political terms: someone once stated that Leonid is the King of PS, and you would be the reigning Queen...Or Princess...so perhaps she was attempting a coupe, found it unsuccessful, and perhaps hoped to bow to the Queen/Princess in hopes of gaining your faor and not be exiled from the PS kingdom...After all, it is the fairest in the Diamond Land...

So Mara...with you scepter in hand, your tiara and most benevolent smiles, do bend your head in her direction and resume your gracious waving to your loyal subjects...or just cut her to pieces verbally again (man that was entertaining)!
naughty.gif

As for what to do with LawGem...punishment seems to be in your court Mara...but may I strongly suggest public flogging with a wet noodle (not ala Passion of the Christ style!) Just a few to set him straight!

Wow, we really are silly midweek...
wacko.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I've never seen a diamond that I couldn't find a place for in my jewelery box. It all depends on how you set it.
16.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm methinks LG's punishment should be something like...oh telling us who really makes the Tiffany Lucida setting!
11.gif
12.gif

It's almost Friday!
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my engagement ring :).

ering8.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I haven't even read all the replies. But I like stones on the smallish side, but then not to small either, and it depends on the design and the person wearing it. The perfect size for me ( I have kinda long thin hands and I'm fine boned) is about .60 , larger diamonds actually look to big for me. Same with any jewelry in my case.

Jolie

Rough_Rock
(1) When is a diamond too small? To me, when it's too small to fit into a setting that I like. As long as I can find a setting, it's not too small.

(2) When is it too big? When I can't afford it without sacrificing cut/color/clarity. Carat is usually the first thing I'll give up to meet my budget (exception: see (1) above). If I can afford it, it's not too big.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF: what a lovely ring! I haven't seen anything like that before. I would love to see a picture of it on your finger.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/3/2004 4:18:59 PM Mara wrote:

Who is rating tackiness status?

These are all polls for fun?

Honestly if anyone is offended, get over it!!
2.gif
Wear your diamonds, be happy, answer the poll. It's anonymous, and people only draw attn to themselves when they post re: their thoughts.

These polls, all four of them on color, clarity and the two on size, as LawGem pointed out, are unconstructive. Consumers are reading Rocky Talk to gain information on diamond purchases and posting stuff like this only results in us lowering the quality of the board to that of another board, which shall remained unnamed because it enevitably points out the flaws in other peoples' engagement rings. Most of us do think diamonds are fun and the regulars here are unnaturally obsessed with them so among us this is no big deal, but others AREN'T like us and would like to make a single purchase with a limited budget and by posting crap like this it may insult these individuals. Did you consider this?

I love reading about everyones' purchases and similar interest in gemstones, but at times I get really annoyed by the inability most here have at every being satisfied with the clearly amazing diamond pieces they all ready have (and some barely have the ring on their fingers and are already thinking, "MUST UPGRADE." Makes me wonder what their personal lives are really like.
11.gif

Okay, my opinion. I'm PMSing big time and eating low carb so maybe this is why I'm lecturing.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

These polls, all four of them on color, clarity and the two on size, as LawGem pointed out, are unconstructive.

--That is untrue. These are actually very constructive AND on topic. People come to the boards more times than not to ask the question 'What do you think is too small for a size x finger?'. 'Can I go to J color in platinum?'. 'What do you think of I1?'. Sounds familiar eh? These polls are answering those questions in their original form. Quite constructive in regards to a diamond forum, in my humble opinion.

Consumers are reading Rocky Talk to gain information on diamond purchases and posting stuff like this only results in us lowering the quality of the board to that of another board, which shall remained unnamed because it enevitably points out the flaws in other peoples' engagement rings.

--How does posting polls about what is too yellow, what is too included, what is too small, big etc lower the quality of the board? To be honest, what lowers the quality of the board in my opinion are people freaking out over what is merely a poll and taking it personally. If everyone just voted and/or said what they thought (e.g. I voted for 1c under) without other people reading items into it that is not there, then it would be much more relevant.

--Secondly, where did I miss someone pointing out a flaw in someone's engagement ring? Again, taking this too personally? I don't see one person in this thread going 'your ring sucks!'. Did I miss that??

confused.gif

Most of us do think diamonds are fun and the regulars here are unnaturally obsessed with them so among us this is no big deal, but others AREN'T like us and would like to make a single purchase with a limited budget and by posting crap like this it may insult these individuals. Did you consider this?

--Well Mom...no I didn't...because it's an unreasonable point.
1.gif
A single purchase with a limited budget in my opinion actually requires the most information to make that single purchase the most educated. Instead of them asking the entire board *again* if .50c is too small on $3k...they can SEE it for themselves in terms of responses to the poll. Then maybe they would read the color and clarity polls and realize they don't need a .50c D VVS, but rather can get a .90c G SI1 that is eye clean and please 90% of the people on here AND probably his girlfriend too. Unless she wanted a Tiffany that is.

I love reading about everyones' purchases and similar interest in gemstones, but at times I get really annoyed by the inability most here have at every being satisfied with the clearly amazing diamond pieces they all ready have (and some barely have the ring on their fingers and are already thinking, 'MUST UPGRADE.' Makes me wonder what their personal lives are really like.
11.gif

--This comment is actually not relevant at all to this poll. Asking if a diamond is too small or too yellow in an anonymous poll does not equate people being unhappy with what they have. It's just a poll. You make a GREAT point, one that I have heard before and agree with...but it's not really about this thread/post/poll IMO.

Okay, my opinion. I'm PMSing big time and eating low carb so maybe this is why I'm lecturing.

--Jeez....eat some bread already girl!

--My bottom line is that...as I noted before, people should not take this personally. Do I care if someone thinks that an H is too yellow? Okay so like 15 people thought that. I have an H regent. Do I care? NO! I'm not insulted! I love my stone. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Sure I may think they are all very deluded...but it doesn't change how I feel about my stone nor I am hurt by the sentiment. Everyone is going to have their own opinion. Let them state it.

--I also have to say that I am disappointed in some of the responses here to this poll in particular. When F&I noted that she thought this may be a touchy subject...I thought..."No way! We are all adults and no one is going to take this stuff personally. If we can banter about BIG why not SMALL with the same light-hearted feelings." Obviously I was wrong.

sad.gif

(From one PMS'ing gal to another...I already binged on Goldfish today!)
rolleyes.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/3/2004 6:24:28 PM Mara wrote:

Hmmm methinks LG's punishment should be something like...oh telling us who really makes the Tiffany Lucida setting!
11.gif
12.gif

It's almost Friday!
1.gif

----------------

I thought I had made it clear I didn't know the answer to that one.

11.gif
9.gif
10.gif
And if I did, would I give it up?
3.gif

I do actually know one of their suppliers. But he's a diamond guy, not a setting manufacturer.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Deb

Your engagement ring is beautiful...and I know you've worn it long, in love and in happiness, and may it continue.

win

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Lol, this thread has provoked such a range of intense responses from usually peaceful & benign presences on the forum! Let me throw another spanner into the works and say this, "Alot of caucasians, be they American, Aussie or from certain European cultures, go overboard and everything (not only diamonds) have to be big big big!". I can only eat an entree sized meal in Aussie and even then I find the dish too big at times!
naughty.gif
11.gif

Five years ago, the average middle-class Asian living in Asia, did not even get 'engaged', least of all with a (minimum) 1 ct diamond e-ring. Even now, having a 0.1ct (or smaller) diamond for an e-ring is usually the first & biggest diamond they have ever worn in their life. I (and a few others) who come on this forum are generally the exception to the rule and I am sure that the PS regulars know that a half ct is generally the biggest that the average Asian buys even after asking for opinions/ help here.

Everyone on this particular thread should relax with a coupla deep yoga-type breaths and have a cool glass of Iced tea!
loopy.gif

p.s. I voted for the very 1st option
5.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Deb, I LOVE your ring! I love things that are totally unique and the idea of two diamonds side by side is almost romantic! That's such a lovely idea!!! AND they are just the right size to fit next to each other comfortably on a finger. I like that trend, I hope more people follow it!

Deb, post more pictures of it on show me the Ring post!!! MORE MORE!

blueskiesalways

Rough_Rock
Having only had my e-ring a little over a week, I am oviously very excited to show it off. The majority of comments I have received have been along the thread of, "OMG, LOOK HOW CLEAR IT IS". When selecting the Emerald cut we realised that color and clarity were going to be the main factor, over size. We dropped down from the benchmark 1.00 C to a .92 in order to keep those caracteristics and meet our budget. The ring is so wonderfully clear, it almost looks like glass steps. Most people appear to"assume" that is's 1.00 just because of the quality. In my case color and clarity seem to have overridden the size issue. And trust me, I golf with a number of rather "snobby ladies" who would be more than happy to point out any defects.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
--------------[/quote]

That has been my point all along. I am completely unsure why someone would absolutely have an opinion on what is too large -tacky/hoochie/showoff/insecure/small man's apendage disease - all words that have been used on this forum. And, the moment someone says a smaller carat weight is a speck is sooooooooo politically incorrect. And those people call foul.

Well, I call foul (yes, a long night at a basketball game). Why does one think it is appropriate to call *my* 3c (yes, I *could* take it personally) tacky/too big/hoochie - ect. blah blah blah? Does my feelings not matter? Or is it because it's on my hot little hands and not yours some how validate *your* opinion?

At the end of the day, I really don't care as I have been on all end of the spectrum. I just happen to have the big rock on my hand as we speak.
9.gif

And, please don't even try to elevate my thoughts on diamonds to a higher plane of my life. It's just a stupid piece of carbon. BTW, I'd rather live in a perfectly appointed little house than some big tacky rambling house built of course just to impress my neighbors.
11.gif
True, I'd rather live in smaller quarters - just me & hubby's feelings. The rest about the tacky big house is just hogwash & a spin (insert diamond here).

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
GO F&I!!!!

My mother always said No one can make you feel inferior, unless you let them. Same goes with ring size. Michelle Carmen is right, this is a little silly, because although some of us know the futility and silliness of a poll, some people don't know how to intepret and respond, so they are getting a bit hurtful.

PS is a community, imprefect, but established for the assistance of purchasers of diamonds, and for the general discussion (not argument and personal attacks) of diamonds, gemstones, and thing such related. Let's drop these accusations, arguments, anger issues, etc...THIS is not what the poll intended, but what it has become is unnecessarily silly. Back to helping newbies with their purchases!!!
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
--I also have to say that I am disappointed in some of the responses here to this poll in particular. When F&I noted that she thought this may be a touchy subject...I thought...'No way! We are all adults and no one is going to take this stuff personally. If we can banter about BIG why not SMALL with the same light-hearted feelings.' Obviously I was wrong. ----------------

You're in the same boat, sweetie. I was just voicing my opinion and you sure spent quite a lot of time trying to rip apart everything I said. It was just a constructive critisism type of comment and you sure went on the defensive.

Light heartedness? Maybe next time just blow off what I have to say! That's light heartedness.

Michelle

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm completely confused by your turn around on this issue Michelle. You seemed perfectly happy to participate on the how big is too big thread. You yourself said to paraphrase "if anyone was offended by this discussion (size being too big) should find another outlet as this *is* a diamond board & not to be taken seriously."

Then you further baffle me by responding to my words about why not bash small size diamonds & only the big ones. Again, paraphrase "because it's more fitting that we pick on those who "have it all". So, am I too assume from this that my large stone can be picked on because somehow it o.k. to pick on me as my feelings are less valid than one who has a smaller diamond.

I'm completely confused when your light hearted temperment when discussing large stones changed so dramatically when we started to discuss feelings about small stones. Are your feelings more valid because you own (in context to mine) a smaller stone?

People on this board can not have it both ways. One can not bash about how big is too big w/o drawing conclusions on how small is too small.

I have been on both sides of this issue. I am a confident women w/ lots more accolades than a piece of carbon. But, I'm only human. It hurts when people said my stone was small. It hurts equally that people seem o.k. to say that 3 carats is tacky. After all, we put just as much heart in either stone. Both are sentimental.

At the end of the day, it is just a dopey diamond forum. It's not that big of a deal. I'm just presenting my side of the story.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm with F&I...I'm confused as to the abrupt turnaround as well, Michelle. Suddenly it's not fun anymore? Confusion abounds.

As for ripping apart what you said...let's not play the violins just yet eh? I was responding to some points you made...that's all. I thought I was being explanatory as to my point of view, not defensive. You can agree or disagree, cool. My day still goes on.

Honestly, if you see anything in this thread as belittling someone's diamond purchase (again, point that out to me please?) or ripping someone else apart for whatever their choices are...you are reading way too much into this.

You have said time and time again you love your smaller stone and stressed repeatedly that 'too big' does not work for you. So why do you care what the poll says? I'm honestly confused here.

Bottom line, I am not going to apologize for creating a poll that 98% of the people found a fun diversion in a workday. That's really all it's meant to be. RT is not just about answering droll crown and angle questions. We are allowed to have fun sometimes.
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Gee, the things I miss when I'm busy at work!

Perhaps I'm a naturally catty person, but I definitely think there's too small, and there's too big when it comes to e-rings. We all know there are variables, so that should go without saying, but as far as I'm concerned, if a diamond is so small that it shouts, "I'm dinky" then it's no longer practical and no longer serves it's original purpose. Why not get a bigger sapphire instead? It's like saying, "I must have caviar for my 50th anniversary or it's not an anniversary," but if you can only get one caviar egg per person then it just isn't reasonable.

I've seen teeny e-rings. If they're in a gorgeous setting that treats the diamond like a supporting player for the setting, like AGBF's, great. If it's on a Tiffany-style setting, though, why bother? It just looks like a promise ring.

Which reminds me: In the latest issue of Vogue they say that the smallest e-ring Tiffany will sell is a .125 (for something like $980). I'd say more, but it's not Friday.

Edited to add that I voted .25-.50 because I think when you get over 1/2 a carat you can get a really nice solitaire look.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
Then you further baffle me by responding to my words about why not bash small size diamonds & only the big ones. Again, paraphrase 'because it's more fitting that we pick on those who 'have it all'. So, am I too assume from this that my large stone can be picked on because somehow it o.k. to pick on me as my feelings are less valid than one who has a smaller diamond.
---------

People who wear large diamond have money, *many* people who wear smaller diamonds don't have money. I'd never walk up to person and point out that her .1 is small, but I'd sure walk up to a woman wearing a 5 carat and mention, "Wow, that's a big rock!" It's just not polite to point out how little a person has, so why be so callous? Women who wear large stones, do by nature, like to show off and therefore they're willing to take a bit of heat, IMO, to flaunt a gorgeous stone. If they can't handle the talk, then they should wear the .10 and be left alone.

Oh well! I'm not spending any more time on this as now I'm being attacked by two people
sad.gif
and it's just not worth the stress to continue this.

Edited to say: Move on. LEAVE ME ALONE! Please don't add more to what I said or debate me anymore. I like this board and don't want my enjoyment of it entirely destroyed over a couple comments.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just have to respond to this:

"It's just not polite to point out how little a person has, so why be so callous? Women who wear large stones, do by nature, like to show off and therefore they're willing to take a bit of heat, IMO, to flaunt a gorgeous stone. "

I diagree with both these statements.

As everyone has pointed out before, just because someone has a small stone doesn't a) mean they have 'little' or b) are insecure with their stone!

As for showing off...I don't like to show off...I wear jeans all the time and hate dressing up..or wearing makeup or anything. But hell yeah I want a big 3c rock. It has nothing to do with 'showing off'....that's such a generalization. I just want a big sparkly bauble. I love diamonds.

I think we can all agree we are going to have our opinions and agree, disagree, whatever and just agree to disagree.

NO ONE IS BEING ATTACKED so again, lets not get dramatic!! Even if no one agreed with me, I would still be saying what I am saying. I believe it so it must be so.
2.gif

Edited to add...woops already responded.
11.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I feel a bit attacked. Sometimes your posts come out harsh sounding, Mara.

Move on.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No worries.
1.gif
Now I'm going to have carbs!
rolleyes.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/4/2004 2:59:56 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

----------------
Women who wear large stones, do by nature, like to show off and therefore they're willing to take a bit of heat, IMO, to flaunt a gorgeous stone. If they can't handle the talk, then they should wear the .10 and be left alone.

Oh well! I'm not spending any more time on this as now I'm being attacked by two people
sad.gif
and it's just not worth the stress to continue this.

Edited to say: Move on. LEAVE ME ALONE! Please don't add more to what I said or debate me anymore. I like this board and don't want my enjoyment of it entirely destroyed over a couple comments.

Michelle----------------

Then if you not willing to take the "heat" of your comments then why put them out there?

Has it dawned on you that I don't show off? In fact, I go out of my way to *not* show off. Has it occured to you that I absolutely had no idea people wouldn't be happy for me. But, instead banter about that a 3c diamond is tacky?

I am hardly attacking you. And, find that statement to be very passive agressive. So, from you very own words, I should just accept the heat? I should just assume people would comment in negative ways about my larger size diamond.

Which BTW, is not that big.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
None of us are going to tell anyone their diamond is too small in real life. The last time I saw something like .15 stone I grabbed the woman's hand and said, "I didn't know you were engaged. Congratulations!" I also wouldn't tell a woman, "Gee, your diamond is really yellow and badly cut." However, I feel I can talk about all issues related to diamonds here, with people who are knowledgable enough about them to understand why I consider those factors important. And carat is as much a factor as color and cut, right? This is Pricescope. We talk about diamonds. I don't see why we have ever have to be PC about it. I do that enough in the outside world.

Also, if someone can only afford a .15 stone I'd bet they could afford a much bigger P color, I3. So I really don't see how it's wrong to comment on the F, VS1 .15 stone, but not to comment on the bigger piece of frozen spit.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

Has it dawned on you that I don't show off? In fact, I go out of my way to *not* show off. Has it occured to you that I absolutely had no idea people wouldn't be happy for me. But, instead banter about that a 3c diamond is tacky?

I am hardly attacking you. And, find that statement to be very passive agressive. So, from you very own words, I should just accept the heat? I should just assume people would comment in negative ways about my larger size diamond.

Which BTW, is not that big.
----------------

FWIW, I've never said a three carat is tacky! Why are you continueing on with me? I asked to just drop it. If others say your ring is tacky or they can't be happy for you track them down and b*tch at them, not me. WTF??? Who the h*ll cares about your damn ring anyways?

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results