shape
carat
color
clarity

How satisfied are you?

To what extent are you satisfied with your stone if you compromised on one of the 4 "C's"?

• a. I wish I had gone bigger.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • b. I wish I had gone more colorless.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • c. I wish I had gone with a higher clarity.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • d. I wish I had prioritized cut.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • e. I have no regrets.

Votes: 38 52.1%

• Total voters

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Long before the plethora of information on the internet, my fiance went to library and borrowed books on diamonds, diamond grading and the diamond cartel on the whole! He researched for weeks and had the stone appraised by two gemologists.

It was graded very good cut.

Sometimes I wish it was excellent or ideal cut, but only for serenity in my own mind. It usually performs very well in a lot of lighting situations, especially at Home Depot and in indirect sunlight, like in my car. I get a lot of compliments on it all the time. And it is certainly one of the more substantial and eye catching rings in my circle. But I still, sometimes wish it was the most perfect cut.

He has since told me that he knew cut was king but he could not refuse the price for this stone, not to mention that there was a huge sentimental factor in it as well. That's another story though.

So, I checked off prioritizing cut, but only sometimes!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_chris|1420569733|3812586 said:
tyty333|1420566780|3812567 said:
f) I wish I had chosen a different cut.

Dont get me wrong, I have loved my pear over the years but I wonder if I had seen an OEC or Tranny at the time if I might have gone with
one of those options.

I've always loved your set, tyty. It's very elegant.

Thank you elle_chris.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am completely satisfied - or thrilled actually - with my stone. It does not have a perfect cut but for me it adds to the character of my antique stone. I completely fell in love with my OEC when I saw it for the first time: 5.3 cts, U-V color, VS1 quality. Before this I had a 'perfect' icy white princess but felt it was too cold and actually stopped wearing it. I love the creamy color of my stone and the large facets. About a year ago I found the perfect setting for it thanks to PS and now I enjoy it even more.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I said no regrets. I have my 1.7 I/VS2 GOG H&A RB set in my VC Emilya halo. I love it.
I had the choice to upgrade. Instead I decided on an alternative engagement ring. I now have a 2.05 GIA L/VS1 OEC from Old World Diamonds. It's set in a platinum Edwardian setting and I love it. Warmth and all.
In fact my OEC was more expensive than my RB was back in 2011!!!

I didn't want to sink a huge sum of money to upgrade my RB for very little difference in size. After I bought it in 2011, prices went crazy. It would have meant paying double what I paid to get to a two carat size.

That's when, in 2012, I stuck her in her beautiful VC setting and called it a day.

After saving up and selling off a number of pieces I no longer wore, I found myself with a healthy sum and had to make the choice. Upgrade and see a little difference in size or get another ring.
I chose the latter. Your mileage may vary.

I have what I believe to be the best of both worlds. If I ever find "The One" perhaps I will sell up and consolidate. I don't think so. I like options over size. (Currently!!! :tongue: )

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never in my life did I dream I'd every have a diamond this size... so I have no regrets. If I were to change anything, it would be more emphasis on cut (even though it's GIA XXX, it scores 2.7 on HCA) and maybe go up to H or I in color -- but only if I changed a "non-halo" setting! ;))

All in all, I love my ring! It's more than I ever hoped for!! 8) :bigsmile:

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I voted "no regrets" above, because it is a lovely stone. I have a 0.556 AGS000 H&A VVS2 J. I have, in the past, sometimes wished it had higher color. I can see a tint (looking at the side) when the diamond is dirty. So I clean it often, which is probably a good thing :D Although by PS standards the stone is small, where I live it is actually considered a large diamond :D I feel no need to go bigger. I love the cut and clarity and I'm able to appreciate them as well. I enjoy the fact that I cannot see any inclusions even with a 10 x loupe. And the perfect arrows pattern is so pretty!

What really helped me with the "color-issue", was when I realized my friends and "the general public" will never see it being yellow. How do I know this? I have a horse at a liverly, and the stable-owner's daughter got engaged. I knew as much (or little) about diamonds as I do now, having read several books and PS and other stuff online, which is something my friends or colleagues have never done. Anyway, she had a 1 ct light brown diamond in her ER. I saw the stone close-up, and afterwards the only thing I was able to remember, was that it was big and the ring was pretty :D It was the second time that I saw the ring from close distance, than I actually realized it has a brown center stone. I was shocked :) Ever since I have stopped obsessing about my "J" color, and as a result, my stone doesn't seem yellow anymore :D

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
Regrets may be the wrong word. The only way I would regret a purchase would be by jumping in with no knowledge and being taken for a ride. I almost ended up down this path initially when dragged into a local franchise jeweller. Would have ended up with a G .7something carat, steep deep, fair cut diamond for more dollars than the I .62 AGS0 which faces up larger, that I bought.

One thing I've noticed with PS is that a lot of the users are very specific in what they determine to be ideal and run by strict and very narrow proportions. Could have I bought a clearer, larger stone, with .2mm less pav angle, a bit less total depth.. a bit more spread.. Of course!! But do I regret purchasing the stone I did.. Not at all. It is what it is, and we love it for that. I'd appreciate an old piece of coal, assuming I knew what I was buying.

akoya

Shiny_Rock
oh no n i m thinking of looking at K color
i am more willing to go a color darker than to see the diamonds impurities etc as i have gd eyesight (can spot diamond color diff too in real life not that much in video when placed up) n i have the urge to want to scratch that impurities off the diamond if its obvious

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I've never had any regrets about my stone, and don't feel I had to compromise on anything. We did our research, and knew what we were buying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results