shape
carat
color
clarity

How old is this golden ring?

Arthuro87

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I am a newby here, so first of all thank you for the acceptation.

Second...look at this big golden ring I found at some secondhand jewelryshop!

It weighs around 11+ grams and it is positive tested for 14k gold.

In my opinion the band is from midway 19th century, but the head of the ring is maybe older. Maybe the head was an old golden brooche?

This ring has only one mark but I can not identify it.

Can someone help me out please?
I realy would like to know the age of the ring and his origine! Also the symbolics...relic? Templar?

Dear regards :) 56C34D5A-8E90-41A2-91DB-3D33FE34248E.jpeg 9CD09C8A-EAD6-40BA-97BE-9797E26E19E0.jpeg 9A8F0B5F-950C-4094-89DA-FF730D4639F8.jpeg D010C1D3-AA6B-4C70-BED0-077757C47B51.jpeg 9AD2CDA4-E7FA-47E8-BEC9-F55D36D6B2FD.jpeg 7181A5AE-65B0-4224-895D-0E18911E8B84.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello and welcome! To clarify, you see that very faint marking on the shank, correct? Are there any markings to identify the gold on either the shank or the top part? The top part reminds me of a button and I think it is very pretty. It could be my monitor, but it looks like the shank and the top part are slightly different colors. Is that what you see in person? Did you test the metal on both parts?

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Hello and welcome! Not an antique/vintage jewelry expert by any means, but that sure is a cool ring! Love all the detail. Definitely agree that it looks a lot like a button conversion...

Hopefully some of the experts can chime in!

Arthuro87

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome! To clarify, you see that very faint marking on the shank, correct? Are there any markings to identify the gold on either the shank or the top part? The top part reminds me of a button and I think it is very pretty. It could be my monitor, but it looks like the shank and the top part are slightly different colors. Is that what you see in person? Did you test the metal on both parts?

Hi,

The only mark it has was on the inside unfortunately.

I tested both parts. It was a good 14k result, but at 18k it fails slightly. So it could also be 15k of perhaps even 16k.

I noticed also little color difference. But only at the top of the ring at the inside etsing.

The overal color of the ring is not “yellow gold” but also not “rosé gold”. Its between those two. (Like a kruger coin for example)

Sorry for my bad English by the way, I am from the Netherlands. :D

Arthuro87

Rough_Rock
Hi,

The only mark it has was on the inside unfortunately.

I tested both parts. It was a good 14k result, but at 18k it fails slightly. So it could also be 15k of perhaps even 16k.

I noticed also little color difference. But only at the top of the ring at the inside etsing.

The overal color of the ring is not “yellow gold” but also not “rosé gold”. Its between those two. (Like a kruger coin for example)

Sorry for my bad English by the way, I am from the Netherlands. :D

* And that only mark I just cant identify, but it doesnt look modern to me.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I’m stumped. You can try searching these jeweler’s mark database:
https://www.langantiques.com/aju/
https://jewelry.ha.com/ref/designer-marks.zx
Neither is comprehensive, but it’s a start.
I think your ring is very pretty. I like the geometric element of the pattern, the natural element of the carved flowers, the pretty underside and that there is a design carved into the layer right below the top layer. Lots of details to appreciate.
If you do learn more about it please come back and update us.

Arthuro87

Rough_Rock
Well, I’m stumped. You can try searching these jeweler’s mark database:
https://www.langantiques.com/aju/
https://jewelry.ha.com/ref/designer-marks.zx
Neither is comprehensive, but it’s a start.
I think your ring is very pretty. I like the geometric element of the pattern, the natural element of the carved flowers, the pretty underside and that there is a design carved into the layer right below the top layer. Lots of details to appreciate.
If you do learn more about it please come back and update us.

Thank you!

Yeah finding the origin of this ring seems like a bigger quest than I first thought haha.

If I know somerhing more I will update you.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really interesting looking ring. yes, let us know if you learn anything more about the ring.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an interesting ring! Keen to hear what information you discover...

sl10irid90plat

Rough_Rock
I don't know about the age of it or anything but you asked about the symbols ie. Templar, Etc. it's really striking me as a Renaissance Tudor Rose design. I mean I doubt it's from that era but it looks like that design.

It's a really cool ring!

Hi all!

In my opinion the band is from midway 19th century, but the head of the ring is maybe older. Maybe the head was an old golden brooche?

I realy would like to know the age of the ring and his origine! Also the symbolics...relic? Templar?

Dear regards :) 56C34D5A-8E90-41A2-91DB-3D33FE34248E.jpeg 9CD09C8A-EAD6-40BA-97BE-9797E26E19E0.jpeg 9A8F0B5F-950C-4094-89DA-FF730D4639F8.jpeg D010C1D3-AA6B-4C70-BED0-077757C47B51.jpeg 9AD2CDA4-E7FA-47E8-BEC9-F55D36D6B2FD.jpeg 7181A5AE-65B0-4224-895D-0E18911E8B84.jpeg

Hi all!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Your English is lovely, and welcome!
My very first thought was that it is an ecclesiastical ring, perhaps for a bishop or minister, because of the equiform cross.
The cross is significant, as are the four petalled flowers ( the Tudor rose is five petals, and I believe the Templar rose is also, but occasionally is four).
The gypsy style etching under the main top is at least 100 years old, and I would love to see the side engravings.
Now here's the thing...it looks to me like the top was added onto the base...is there another design underneath?
Also, I noticed a hole in the back of the ring...a small compartment for a relic perhaps.
The makers mark will probably never be found, it looks like a very, very old mark before the days of registered hallmarks. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was late Renaissance, which would explain the gold purity not quite landing within the 14 or 18 k numbers...the gold to alloy proportions were not as exact then as they are now.

It feels holy to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliquary

ooooh, edited, because I just found more:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/314900198919183759/

"sub rosa"....yes! the mystery is...what is under those roses?...convinced now it's a small reliquary.

Last edited:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the marking you photographed might have been part of a series of two or three stamps that would have made up a hallmark. These stamps would identify the metal and its purity, the city or country in which the metal was assayed, and possibly the year. Unfortunaty only one of the two or three original marks is clearly visible, though I think you can see what might be the remnants of a second stamp next to it. It’s apparent overall asymmetry is unusual, though... so it could also be a makers mark. Anyhow, you might try looking through older European assay marks to see if you can match that general shape. There are some available online, but you’ll probably have better luck at the library, with a good reference book. A good auction house might also be able to help you, if you’re near a major city.

Anyhow, it’s a fascinating piece. Please let us know if you find out more about it!

Arthuro87

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

Somehow I lost this topic, but the ring was an 19th century ring with an 18th century button on it. At least that is what they told me...

I have another cool ring and I Will post it in an other topic.

Dear regards!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
If you felt like researching more, you might send an email with photos to the British Museum, which has a jewellery curator and a special interest in jewel research. Good luck!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a stunning piece!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
If you felt like researching more, you might send an email with photos to the British Museum, which has a jewellery curator and a special interest in jewel research. Good luck!

SUCH a good idea!!! I hope OP comes back with more info.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results