Votes: 4 9.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 Daily

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those with crowns, can you please elaborate why you aren't supposed to chew gum? I thought the crown encapsulates the entire tooth, so it functions the same way as an uncrowned tooth?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1412260113|3760585 said:
For those with crowns, can you please elaborate why you aren't supposed to chew gum? I thought the crown encapsulates the entire tooth, so it functions the same way as an uncrowned tooth?

The crown covers what is left of the tooth. Sticky, chewy foods such as candy or chewing gum can pull on the crown causing it to loosen or come off.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock

It does for the most part but it's still "glued" in... sticky things can pull them right out (I've had crowns popped out by the oddest things - pizza even)!
I'm suddenly reminded of the Freedent commercials - "won't stick to most dental work": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUWMP48nVio

:wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The suction from gum chewing pulls on the crown, which can shorten the lifespan of the crown.

Once I had a full crown pulled off by chewing carmel.
Of course it was not just that one carmel.
Crowns don't last forever.
I think that one was 20 years old, which I think is very long life compared to the average.
A crown or a filling can fall out at any time, so why do things that contribute to a crown's demise?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay way to make this complicated, Kenny. I chew about one piece a day... there are twelve pieces in the pack... I'll go with "maybe once a week." BUT it's Jolt energy gum because I need caffeine and am trying to cut back on soda and don't drink coffee. So it's not because I like gum, it's because caffeine. I don't even actually chew it because I have TMJ disorder and chewing aggravates that, so I just put a piece in my mouth and play with it with my tongue. Sounds weird when I say that. The flavor lasts rather a long time compared to other gums.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1412279218|3760772 said:
Okay way to make this complicated, Kenny. I chew about one piece a day... there are twelve pieces in the pack... I'll go with "maybe once a week." BUT it's Jolt energy gum because I need caffeine and am trying to cut back on soda and don't drink coffee. So it's not because I like gum, it's because caffeine. I don't even actually chew it because I have TMJ disorder and chewing aggravates that, so I just put a piece in my mouth and play with it with my tongue. Sounds weird when I say that. The flavor lasts rather a long time compared to other gums.

Perhaps try over the counter caffeine pills.

screen_shot_2014-10-02_at_12.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay way to make this complicated, Kenny. I chew about one piece a day... there are twelve pieces in the pack... I'll go with "maybe once a week.

Maybe you didn't see this in my OP, "For this poll buying a pack and finishing it would count as one time even though a pack obviously has several pieces."

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1412279563|3760779 said:
Okay way to make this complicated, Kenny. I chew about one piece a day... there are twelve pieces in the pack... I'll go with "maybe once a week.

Maybe you didn't see this in my OP, "For this poll buying a pack and finishing it would count as one time even though a pack obviously has several pieces."

I don't know why you didn't go by the piece. I chew one piece a day, sometimes two, which is why I put maybe once a week. It takes me one to two weeks to finish twelve pieces depending on needed level of caffeine. I have a pack open by my desk, one by my armchair, one in my purse, and one in my car, so I don't really count by the pack, lol.

I have tried caffeine pills but really just prefer the gum.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1412221089|3760350 said:
Hey, did any of you make these rope/ribbon thingies from gum wrappers?
Do kids do it nowadays?

No, I'm in highschool and haven't seen it before... I don't think we chew enough gum to make those things, to be honest.

These used to be very popular not long ago, dunno if they still are.

lanyard07130083c.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1412282301|3760811 said:
Do kids do it nowadays?

No, I'm in highschool and haven't seen it before... I don't think we chew enough gum to make those things, to be honest.

:lol:

We made those in the 60s.
Often they ended up on parents' keychains.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1412282618|3760817 said:
LoversKites|1412282301|3760811 said:
Do kids do it nowadays?

:lol:

We made those in the 60s.
Often they ended up on parents' keychains.

Lol, I'm part of an unoriginal generation! Must've run out of ideas.

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Great topic Kenny. I chew gum all day long and I keep 4 bottles stocked in my desk drawer for all my Whiteflash-ers too, as my part of bringing joy to the office. It is sugar free and free to all. ;-) I also keep vitamin C and B-12 in stock just in case anyone feels like they are coming down with something. LOL. Oh and I keep one bottle in my van but my son's girlfriend keeps stealing it from me, gggrrr that little hussie!!! I have to remember to pat her down before she gets out of my van. ROFLAMBO

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vera W|1412285308|3760850 said:
Great topic Kenny. I chew gum all day long and I keep 4 bottles stocked in my desk drawer for all my Whiteflash-ers too, as my part of bringing joy to the office. It is sugar free and free to all. ;-) I also keep vitamin C and B-12 in stock just in case anyone feels like they are coming down with something. LOL. Oh and I keep one bottle in my van but my son's girlfriend keeps stealing it from me, gggrrr that little hussie!!! I have to remember to pat her down before she gets out of my van. ROFLAMBO

Haha, love this Vera. :lol:
I'm chewing Trident sugarless right now. And it's delicious. :lickout:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, Alexah and MaryP,
Thank you for the explanation. I guess it's obvious I'm not royalty yet, hence do not understand how crowns work.

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Unread post by missy » 02 Oct 2014 16:35
Written by Vera W » 02 Oct 2014 16:28:

Haha, love this Vera. :lol:
I'm chewing Trident sugarless right now. And it's delicious. :lickout:

LOL missy, Trident is a great one, love the cinnamon flavor. Although I never buy it for my drawer but now that they put it as "unwrapped" in the jars I guess I can add it to the collection. :dance:

Also people, don't laugh at my bad teeth I blame it on my mother taking prescription drugs while pregnant with me and my wombmate twin, but I have 7, yes 7 crowns :o and have never had an issue with chewing gum. :naughty: Of course I did 18k gold ones because I couldn't afford the porcelain ones 14 years ago and you can't see them unless I LOL with my big mouth open.

DNB

Rough_Rock
I'm so old I remember these gums.
Licorice-flavored Black Jack was my favorite.

Do kids do it nowadays?

Oh yeah, my sister and I had yards and yards of them. I even remember how to make them, but the gum I buy now comes wrapped in foil and in a box or hard pieces in a punch out. I haven't bought gum with that type of warpper in a long time. Juice Fruit and Fruit Stripe were our favorites in the late 60's/early-mid 70's.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Do kids do it nowadays?

I've seen purses made out of those. I'd never buy one, though.

I don't chew gum. I can't stand having something in my mouth that I'm not supposed to swallow, and also end up swallowing it. LOL I also have TMJ so it's not enjoyable anyway.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I chew it when it's offered to me (maybe I have bad breath! :naughty: ) but I never buy it or keep it in my handbag. I snack on crunchy fruits and veggies a lot so I am hopeful that that keeps my dental hygiene at an optimum level til I can get to a toothbrush and floss.

My parents chew gum like crazy. They are keeping Wrigley in business, for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results