Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 Daily

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How often do you chew gum?

For this poll buying a pack and finishing it would count as one time even though a pack obviously has several pieces.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Lately, most days, but I sometimes go weeks without. See that? Weeks without. I don't have a problem. I can stop any time. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I used to chew sugarless gum every day. But I had a bad habit of chewing a piece and then as soon as it lost its flavor I threw it out and put another piece in my mouth and started all over again lol. So I went through packs of gum a day. I also felt sassy while chewing it haha don't ask me why. Like I was a tough girl. 8-)

Anyway, I quit because I felt it was unseemly to chew in public (at my age especially) and I just decided it was time to quit. That was 15 plus years ago and recently (last 3 months) I picked up the habit again. Mainly because I am temporarily housebound and it gives me something to do while trying to occupy my time and helps me get rid of nervous energy somewhat.

Now I chew about a half a pack a day which is about 9 sticks of gum. One at a time and usually within a short period. I chew a fresh piece and when it loses its flavor throw it away and start with another piece. I love blowing bubbles but alas I am not chewing bubble gum right now. Come to think of it I will have to put that on my shopping list. :bigsmile:

Though I have gone without chewing gum these last few months for a week or so at a time. I don't feel addicted to chewing gum. I am just doing it now because of my circumstances and I only do it at home. For some reason I don't like chewing gum in public.

Sorry for the long answer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never buy it but my SO keeps it in his car so I'll take one piece, but only maybe once or twice a year.

When young I bought it all the time.
But at some point, maybe around the 70s or 80s I think they changed their recipes so the flavor didn't last so I'd spit it out and get a fresh piece.
I'd go through several pieces during one 'chewing'.
Annoyed by this, I just stopped buying gum.

Now that I'm a grumpy old man I suspect that recipe change was intentional so you'd consume/buy more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not like chewing gum; I only do so to help me stay awake when driving long distance, so my pack lasts forever. :bigsmile:

mr_kroshka

Rough_Rock
2-3 times a week

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I HATE gum, I feel like a cow chewing and chewing and chewing....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only chew gum when I am driving, as a mean to help me to stay focus before I pull over at the next convenient place to stop and have a break and rest during a long journey.

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing.
Only 11 responses so far, and two are about using gum to stay alert when driving.

I can't imagine how/why this could work, but it must.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't chewed gum in many years. As soon the flavor was gone I'd want to get rid of the gum. I did love blowing bubbles as a kid though.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slow day, Kenny? :lol:

I don't like chewing gum because it the flavor goes away so quickly. I prefer Listerine pocket packs, actually.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1412186545|3759962 said:
I never buy it but my SO keeps it in his car so I'll take one piece, but only maybe once or twice a year.

But at some point, maybe around the 70s or 80s I think they changed their recipes so the flavor didn't last so I'd spit it out and get a fresh piece.

Now that I'm a grumpy old man I suspect that recipe change was intentional so you'd consume/buy more.

Yes, that's Exactly what they did, Kenny. I think it's called "flavor fatigue" and it was speeded up in the late '80's.

See? You're not crazy. Well, not often, anyway. :bigsmile:

It's a 4 Billion dollars (annually) market, in the US alone. Stakes are high.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Never, ever, ever…... I loathe gum - I hate the constant chewing sound, the smacking, the smell, even the mere sight of it in someone's mouth. I don't know why I feel this way, but I think that it's just a gross habit.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1412196982|3760115 said:
kenny|1412186545|3759962 said:

Yes, that's Exactly what they did, Kenny. I think it's called "flavor fatigue" and it was speeded up in the late '80's.

See? You're not crazy. Well, not often, anyway. :bigsmile:

It's a 4 Billion dollars (annually) market, in the US alone. Stakes are high.

Wow.
Thanks.
I thought I was just grumpy and paranoid. :lol:

Young people could not have experienced this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1412196600|3760108 said:
Slow day, Kenny? :lol:

Not as slow as the day responders to such a frivolous poll are having. :lol:

It was either gum chewing or underwater basket weaving.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Don't forget, Kenny, you can always build a ship in a bottle. :sun:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was a teenager, my older sister said that I chewed gum like a horse. Egads! My sister's opinion was very imortant to me, and she must be right!? I stopped chewing gum that very day.
Then, in 2004, someone gave me piece, and I had keep reminding myself not to swallow it! I havent had any since. I also havent had soda for many years, either.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1412197245|3760119 said:
Never, ever, ever…... I loathe gum - I hate the constant chewing sound, the smacking, the smell, even the mere sight of it in someone's mouth. I don't know why I feel this way, but I think that it's just a gross habit.
Yes, Momhappy! Me too. I have never been able to bear noisy eating at all, and absolutely no one can chew gum without sound -- what would be the fun? I just hate to see or hear gum being chewed.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tmj I'm not suppose to ever. But sometimes I like it

DNB

Rough_Rock
Every day. My mom was/is a big gum chewer and when we were kids we had her show us how to pop it and blow bubbles. I chew it daily, but only sugar free now. Although I love double bubble when I have it once or twice a year. I tried to pass it on to my boys. They started chewing about age 3, but rarely do it now as adults.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My jaw clicks but I chew it anyway. Not often..sometimes I'll just be in the checkout line and think OOOOO I haven't had Hubba Bubba in forever, lookee here! And if it's grape or strawberry or plain, yeah. ooo I like that sour kind too, the sour raspberry. I do half of a piece at a time so it lasts longer b/c I like the flavor. And I like to blow bubbles and I like to crack it and I don't care if it irritates people. Loved that stupid Fruit Stripe gum when we were little but it lasted like 1 nanosecond. So um..maybe once a year I'll get a pack of gum.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Never. It's just not my thing. I don't want to have to figure out what to do with it when the flavor is gone.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Never. I have too many crowns.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1412200827|3760161 said:
I have tmj I'm not suppose to ever. But sometimes I like it

Me too! TMJ & lots of dental work (fillings, crowns, implants, you name it...). So, I should definitely NOT chew gum... but I do - 2x/day - when I take my pup on long walks.

I actually try not to chew it after it's mushy - just stick it in the back of my mouth for flavor.

Current favs: Orbit Sweet Mint, Trident Bubble Gum & Extra Root Beer. :lickout:

ETA: 99% of the time I chew sugar free but every few years, I have to have some Juicy Fruit or Fruit Stripe Gum!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so old I remember these gums.
Licorice-flavored Black Jack was my favorite.

Hey, did any of you make these rope/ribbon thingies from gum wrappers?
Do kids do it nowadays?

screen_shot_2014-10-01_at_8.png

screen_shot_2014-10-01_at_7.png

screen_shot_2014-10-01_at_9.png

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I chew 1-2 pieces daily after meals when I don't have access to my toothbrush.
It's good for your teeth http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/c/chewing-gum. I always get the kind with xylitol (a natural sweetener that's also antibacterial). Usually Trident.
I also chew gum if I have a boring task to do - it helps me stay focused.

A pack of gum probably lasts me a week or two.
Sometimes I only chew half a piece at a time.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Maybe once a year, gum is a chemical crap storm.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1412184457|3759918 said:
How often do you chew gum?

For this poll buying a pack and finishing it would count as one time even though a pack obviously has several pieces.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, those things are so cool! They look like little miniatures of the kimonos you get in Japanese hotels!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results