shape
carat
color
clarity

How much was your wedding dress?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
herekittykitty|1314447378|3001388 said:
Everyone on this thread looks so beautiful in their pictures. Money well spent IMO.

thirded! I looked through and everyone has such amazing dresses. While I want to look stunning for my big day, it's still just a dress that you would only wear once...I'd much rather splurge on a really nice necklace or earrings that I would be able to wear after the big day and/or pass on to my children. Or put the money toward the venue/photos.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
herekittykitty|1314447378|3001388 said:
Everyone on this thread looks so beautiful in their pictures. Money well spent IMO.
thirded! I looked through and everyone has such amazing dresses. While I want to look stunning for my big day, it's still just a dress that you would only wear once...I'd much rather splurge on a really nice necklace or earrings that I would be able to wear after the big day and/or pass on to my children. Or put the money toward the venue/photos.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
I finally have some real pictures to show :)
you look stunning!! Especially love the back!!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229 said:
Love everyone's dresses!

My gown was from the 1940's and after searching hours on ebay (and the sizing being just *slightly* to small) I pulled the trigger and ordered it. It was 75.00 shipped and when it arrived at my dad's...it had a few stains on it ;( I emailed the seller telling her so and that I was hoping she'd help by giving a partial refund to help with the dry cleaning bill. She felt so bad she refunded me 100% :-o

Dry cleaning worked a miracle and the stains came out 100% and the cost was only 75.00! Alterations (minimal) were ~250-300.00-I can't recall. It included her changing my bridal cape (that had a pointy and SUPER long hood), taking in the sleeves (that were very poofy) and adjusting the waist a bit and also making a veil to match (about floor length) that had a ribbon trim. It was amazing and I got lots of compliments the day of and it fit in perfectly with the venue/theme since it was at a B&B/spa which was an old mill built in the 1800's. My DH wore a vintage style tux-beaver fur top hat from the late 1800's and a antique cane from the same period. My wedding set is from the 1930's and so everything tied together SO nicely. Now onto the pictures!

Love the vintage theme!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
rockzilla said:
Copy%20of%20ebww_21.jpg

ebww_15.jpg

My dress was in the $2,500 range. It was done by a dress designer here in San Francisco, so I justified the price because it was a) all silk organza on the skirt and alcenon lace on the bodice b) made exactly to fit my measurements and c) made here in the USA.

I loved my dress. One thing not captured as well in the photos was how it moved...organza just flows in a way that makes it seem like you are floating down the aisle.
you look beautiful!

steelmagnolia

Rough_Rock
I was the renegade in 1993 who rented her dress :wavey: There was a shop in my hometown that was sort of a one stop shop: dresses, flowers, wedding planning, invitations, the whole 9 yards. IIRC, the dress rental was 10% of the retail cost and I believe I paid slightly less than $300 for it, alterations included. (I think our entire wedding cost less than $1500 but it didn't really look like it. I got discounts on everything by helping at the wedding shop on my days off from school, and could take our 2 yr old with me/study in between clients, I did more behind the scenes stuff). It hasn't ever been a big deal to me to have the actual dress for later, I figure if any of my 3 daughters ever want one similar, we can have one made. I don't see that happening given their tastes, but one never knows! My theory at the time was that if it couldn't vacuum the house or drive me to work, it wasn't going to get a lot of money spent on it! I was in nursing school at the time, and then fiance was finishing a year long tour in Korea with the Air Force and we had to budget for bigger things at the time.

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock
$55 on ebay....a friend at the time took the zipper out and made it a corset back since it was about 2 inches short of zipping. We got married in myrtle beach, just the 2 of us....git thru the casual pics, then it started raining once we got in wedding gear. I still hope to play trash the dress one day by swimming in the ocean in it.

198732_1716032919410_1795833060_1163865_2176880_n.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one I wore was 550 on netbride (850 retail) but I had the bodice completely altered from a halter to a V neck (I feel in love with a 4K gown and decided to buy a much cheaper one with the right look to the lace and skirt and have it altered to look like that one). As a result my alterations were 450 plus 80 for the silk belt. So 1080 for the dress total.

Wedding Recessional.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
FairieMoon79 said:
$55 on ebay....a friend at the time took the zipper out and made it a corset back since it was about 2 inches short of zipping. We got married in myrtle beach, just the 2 of us....git thru the casual pics, then it started raining once we got in wedding gear. I still hope to play trash the dress one day by swimming in the ocean in it.
55????

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
The one I wore was 550 on netbride (850 retail) but I had the bodice completely altered from a halter to a V neck (I feel in love with a 4K gown and decided to buy a much cheaper one with the right look to the lace and skirt and have it altered to look like that one). As a result my alterations were 450 plus 80 for the silk belt. So 1080 for the dress total.
lovely!! I love the backdrop :)

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is free because my mother-in-law to-be is making it!! Going to see it for the 1st time this weekend... VERY nervous about that!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
JuneRose said:
Mine is free because my mother-in-law to-be is making it!! Going to see it for the 1st time this weekend... VERY nervous about that!
ooo post pics please!!! :)

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1331743184|3148459 said:
JuneRose said:

will do! =)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
JuneRose said:
Amys Bling|1331743184|3148459 said:
JuneRose said:

will do! =)

Sooo excited!! :)

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock
Amys Bling....$55.00 (free shipping too!!)
The back of the dress/train was beaded like the front.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Mine was $192, including shipping. I purchased the dress online from a UK site I had never heard of! The dress was of MUCH better quality than the image on the web site and I absolutely love how it looks on me..it is just stunngin! I cannot wait to wear it for our wedding in September. I still need to have it hemmed, as it is literally a FOOT longer than I need it! I'm going barefoot, so I need to make sure I'm not stepping on the gown.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh everyone looks so beautiful (and so do their dresses)!

I am planning on having my dress made. I have a casual dress that is my favorite dress EVER, and I want my wedding dress to be in a similar style. It will have a v-neck and flutter sleeves, with a fitted waist and a full, knee-length skirt. And will be lavender, because I look pretty in lavender and very washed-out in white. Plus I've wanted this exact dress forever but could never justify paying lots of money to get it custom-made... but for my wedding I can justify it, and have something I will hopefully wear again. I'm hoping it will be less than a thousand dollars though - I'm not sure I could justify more than that even for this!

I'm not opposed to buying a dress from a store but my biggest issues are 1) I want lavender! and 2) I want flutter sleeves.

For kicks I tried on ballgowns at Oscar de la Renta but they were so heavy I'd need some strong men to come carry the skirts down the aisle for me.

Weirdly enough, lots of friends/family get VERY MAD about my dress plans. I've literally been yelled at and made to cry for wanting to wear a knee-length lavender dress. I feel like crying just thinking about it. I'm just super pale white, and putting a white or cream dress on makes me look super-white but makes my face look all red and blotchy and gross. And I feel like I look weird in long dresses because I have "a lot of junk in the trunk" as they say and long dresses make me look really bottom heavy whereas knee-length ones make my figure more balanced. Plus I can dance in them better and my fiance LOVES dancing. And I want to feel beautiful at my wedding. I dunno. A lot of my and my fiance's friends are taking our wedding way too personally... I get yelled at about it until I cry at least once every other week, which is making me not want to have a wedding at all. We haven't even started serious planning yet and we've been engaged for a year, and for me at least part of the reason is that I can't imagine dealing with all these crazy mofos when I'm actually trying to get stuff done.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All these low prices got me thinking.
We have some very wealthy folks here and I know wedding dresses can cost in the zillions.

For some reason people LOVE to tell what a bargain they got.
People who spent a lot more discrete and coy.

I suspect the more money that was spent on a wedding dress the less likely the poster is to post the price here.
This would skew the data towards the low side.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My dress was $250, but that's because I'm old. :tongue:

I saw what I wanted in a bridal magazine, took it to the store, they ordered it. I was thrilled that I could afford it. I came in, picked it up, and left.

I didn't even know you were supposed to have a fitting. It fit perfectly, I just zipped it up.

I don't think weddings were such Major productions back then. Or maybe it was just me . . .

'Tis a gift to be simple. :bigsmile:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Mine was $699. Alterations were another $250, which included putting in a corset back and taking the whole thing in (the dress was over a size too big to start, but it's all I could get in my time frame...then I lost weight, so it probably had to be taken in two full sizes).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1331723941|3148278 said:
Gypsy said:
lovely!! I love the backdrop :)

It was a GORGEOUS day. I really wanted to be married outside because in my opinion there's nothing man has made that can compete with nature. And nature obliged by providing us with the perfect day.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Everyone looks so gorgeous in their pictures! My dress was ~$1100 including alterations. It was 100% silk and made by a local designer. I loved it and loved the way I looked in it, especially since it didn't require any special undergarments except a strapless bra. It was super comfortable.

LadyPirate047.jpg

LadyPirate046.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ladypirate said:
Everyone looks so gorgeous in their pictures! My dress was ~$1100 including alterations. It was 100% silk and made by a local designer. I loved it and loved the way I looked in it, especially since it didn't require any special undergarments except a strapless bra. It was super comfortable.

LadyPirate047.jpg

LadyPirate046.jpg
beautiful!!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I spent about $800 for the dress and the slip. Way over my ideal budget of <$500, but I tried on a zillion dresses and it was the only one I fell in love with! I think it was meant to be. :Up_to_something: It is made of organza and it is so light and bouncy. I will be waiting two more months for it to come in and the length should be right (or fixed with shoes) and there is a corset back, so I am hoping for no alterations aside from possibly a bustle. I can't wait!! :love:

morilee4816aa121.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
gem_anemone said:
I spent about $800 for the dress and the slip. Way over my ideal budget of <$500, but I tried on a zillion dresses and it was the only one I fell in love with! I think it was meant to be. :Up_to_something: It is made of organza and it is so light and bouncy. I will be waiting two more months for it to come in and the length should be right (or fixed with shoes) and there is a corset back, so I am hoping for no alterations aside from possibly a bustle. I can't wait!! :love:

morilee4816aa121.jpg
wow I love it!! Please post real life wedding pics when the time comes!! :)

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Well as promised... here are some pictures of my free wedding dress!! I wasn't wearing the petticoat in the side profile picture -it will kick out further at the back than it does here:

photo%2011-01-30-782.jpg

photo_18.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
JuneRose said:
Well as promised... here are some pictures of my free wedding dress!! I wasn't wearing the petticoat in the side profile picture -it will kick out further at the back than it does here:

photo%2011-01-30-782.jpg

photo_18.jpg
wow- you look amazing!!

Your future MIL made that dress???? Wow.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
double post

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1332242678|3152670 said:
JuneRose said:
wow- you look amazing!!

Your future MIL made that dress???? Wow.

Thank you!! Yes I am very lucky to have such a talented future MIL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results