carat
color
clarity

How much was your wedding dress?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1313258802|2990130 said:
Here is a picture of the dress I'll be wearing, I'll come back with pictures of it on me after my first fitting :)

If I were getting married and needed a gown, I wouldn't even bother trying dresses on. After seeing a picture of your gown, I'd just order it. It's probably the most beautiful, most flattering gown I've ever seen.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl|1313327392|2990548 said:
Autumnovember|1313258802|2990130 said:
Here is a picture of the dress I'll be wearing, I'll come back with pictures of it on me after my first fitting :)

If I were getting married and needed a gown, I wouldn't even bother trying dresses on. After seeing a picture of your gown, I'd just order it. It's probably the most beautiful, most flattering gown I've ever seen.

Gemgirl, thank you so much for your kind compliment...I am already so excited to be wearing this dress (funny thing is, no bridal salons ever carry it, figured they all would since its so pretty!) but hearing that other people like this dress for probably the very same reasons that I love it, makes me THAT much more excited. Thank you again, so much.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Mine was $1050--made here in town by a local designer, 100% silk and alterations cost me all of $50. It was so comfortable--no special undergarments required (except a strapless bra, but I already had one of those).

LadyPirate046.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
The retail price of my dress was around $1800. I got it for $1200 (or so... can't recall exact amount) and then ended up paying a $200 rush fee because I moved up my wedding by about 9 months. I made the mistake of not shopping around for a seamstress to do alterations and went with someone recommended by women on The Knot. She did a great job and the gown fit perfectly but she was PRICEY! $350 for alterations, including making some changes to my second dress, which I hardly wore.

Silk organza with re-embroidered Alencon lace applique. Made by Marisa.

Attachments

• ctekrunning.bmp
    593 KB · Views: 791
  • backside.bmp
    593 KB · Views: 788

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
mine was $2500 and, believe it or not, one of the more cost-conscious parts of the wedding :halo:

it included all the alternations, and a custom made jacket

i felt like hot stuff in it so i think it was worth it! :cheeky:

wdngdress.JPG

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
My first dress in 1988 was on sale for $325. I sold it to a rental place for $50 and bought my second one on sale for $82.50. There used to be a bridal salon here that was serious about getting rid of stuff when they had too much.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Priscilla of Boston dress, 1986. 2K?? I could wear it tomorrow, it was classic. Jackie O esque. Cap sleaves and lace. My husband made one request, ( this was the 80's) He said no big puffy sleaves on the arms..

I had tiny sleek caps on the arms and a veil to die for...

I would love to find it and try it on... I have no clue where it is....In the attic somehwere..

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1313445985|2991487 said:
mine was $2500 and, believe it or not, one of the more cost-conscious parts of the wedding :halo:

Gorgeous!!!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1313472556|2991745 said:
rosetta|1313445985|2991487 said:

Gorgeous!!!

Thanks centralsquare, it made me feel gorgeous indeed!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosetta -- stunning!

Naked Finger -- Where's that wedding pic thread? Your dress is just beautiful!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
My gown was around $2000 before alterations. My husband had said "I don't like beading and lace." But it made my heart sing, so I went for it anyway. Turns out, he loved it. He still says I wore the hell out of that dress. :twirl:

278.jpg

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Waaaay too much. I think it was 1500 overall including alterations. I wish I would've worn a paper bag and used the money for a honeymoon....which to this day, we are still waiting for...mleh

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Travel Goddess|1313630328|2993003 said:
My gown was around $2000 before alterations. My husband had said "I don't like beading and lace." But it made my heart sing, so I went for it anyway. Turns out, he loved it. He still says I wore the hell out of that dress. :twirl:

Haha, I agree. It is beautiful and that photo captures the moment perfectly!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
jewelerman|1312927265|2987451 said:
You can buy an amazing ring for these prices that will last for the rest of your life!Okay ladies educate me as to why so much money and emotion has to be invested in the wedding dress?...And for the already married ladies...in hindsight...would you spend that amount again on the same dress?

I spent about one tenth of my engagement ring price on my wedding dress. I still have the e-mailed receipt from J.Crew: $159.99 w/$14.95 shipping. It was final sale, no returns, and my DH's aunt did the minimal alterations as a gift.

One pretty good argument for getting the dress you want is that photographs will be around forever (or at least a long time). I have my wedding photos framed in my home and I see my dress every single day.

I think for a lot of women, the wedding dress and wedding day are the one big opportunity you get to really go all out and look/feel your best. I actually think it's interesting that, when women used to wear dresses and corsets all the time, wedding dresses were much more like 'normal' dresses, and in any color. It's been in more modern times with women wearing whatever they like that the big white dress has become such a big deal. So even though my dress was cheap-o by most standards, it was a pretty big 'step up' from what I normally wear (khakis to work, jeans everywhere else).

ETA to add photo. :D

rubybethdress.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased mine off the rack at 60% off (woo hoo!), so it came to about $650 from memory. Another $200 in alterations and my budget of $1000 for a dress was very happy! :bigsmile: It is a pale 'antique gold' with a slightly darker shade in the split at the front, and the beading along the split and around the bust is so pretty. I love it.

Attachments

• wedding1.bmp
    961.6 KB · Views: 551
  • wedding2.bmp
    961.2 KB · Views: 559

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
I wore the ever-popular La Sposa Fanal, which retailed at AUD$2200 locally. It sounds very expensive but was one of (the?) least expensive dresses I tried on. To make the most of it we took it on our honeymoon and took some photos in the surf :lol:

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Copy%20of%20ebww_21.jpg

ebww_15.jpg

My dress was in the $2,500 range. It was done by a dress designer here in San Francisco, so I justified the price because it was a) all silk organza on the skirt and alcenon lace on the bodice b) made exactly to fit my measurements and c) made here in the USA.

I loved my dress. One thing not captured as well in the photos was how it moved...organza just flows in a way that makes it seem like you are floating down the aisle.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1313698790|2993628 said:
You can buy an amazing ring for these prices that will last for the rest of your life!Okay ladies educate me as to why so much money and emotion has to be invested in the wedding dress?...And for the already married ladies...in hindsight...would you spend that amount again on the same dress?

I spent about one tenth of my engagement ring price on my wedding dress. I still have the e-mailed receipt from J.Crew: $159.99 w/$14.95 shipping. It was final sale, no returns, and my DH's aunt did the minimal alterations as a gift.

One pretty good argument for getting the dress you want is that photographs will be around forever (or at least a long time). I have my wedding photos framed in my home and I see my dress every single day.

I think for a lot of women, the wedding dress and wedding day are the one big opportunity you get to really go all out and look/feel your best. I actually think it's interesting that, when women used to wear dresses and corsets all the time, wedding dresses were much more like 'normal' dresses, and in any color. It's been in more modern times with women wearing whatever they like that the big white dress has become such a big deal. So even though my dress was cheap-o by most standards, it was a pretty big 'step up' from what I normally wear (khakis to work, jeans everywhere else).

What a stunning dress, and your rationale/words about the dress you chose are fantastic. I plan to wear J. Crew as well but am going to search eBay high and low for a price that comes in around what you paid for a $450 gown!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1313698790|2993628 said:

What a stunning dress, and your rationale/words about the dress you chose are fantastic. I plan to wear J. Crew as well but am going to search eBay high and low for a price that comes in around what you paid for a $450 gown!

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Travel Goddess|1313630328|2993003 said:

TGoddess, just so you know, your dress is one of my favorite dresses of all time! You look positively stunning! Every time I see your wedding pictures, I think, that is how I want my wedding day to be!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My wedding dress was a Marisa dress. I loved it but it was $2K and in hindsight, that was absolutely ridiculous to spend on a dress to wear for one day! I'll try to find a pic...

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone on this thread looks so beautiful in their pictures. Money well spent IMO.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
y2kitty said:
Everyone on this thread looks so beautiful in their pictures. Money well spent IMO.
agreed!!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love everyone's dresses!

My gown was from the 1940's and after searching hours on ebay (and the sizing being just *slightly* to small) I pulled the trigger and ordered it. It was 75.00 shipped and when it arrived at my dad's...it had a few stains on it ;( I emailed the seller telling her so and that I was hoping she'd help by giving a partial refund to help with the dry cleaning bill. She felt so bad she refunded me 100% :-o

Dry cleaning worked a miracle and the stains came out 100% and the cost was only 75.00! Alterations (minimal) were ~250-300.00-I can't recall. It included her changing my bridal cape (that had a pointy and SUPER long hood), taking in the sleeves (that were very poofy) and adjusting the waist a bit and also making a veil to match (about floor length) that had a ribbon trim. It was amazing and I got lots of compliments the day of and it fit in perfectly with the venue/theme since it was at a B&B/spa which was an old mill built in the 1800's. My DH wore a vintage style tux-beaver fur top hat from the late 1800's and a antique cane from the same period. My wedding set is from the 1930's and so everything tied together SO nicely. Now onto the pictures!

by-Window-02.jpg

PEO_6369.jpg

Sitting Final.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dress wasn't the traditional white wedding dress. In fact, it was a quirky Betsy Johnson dress I found in Seattle and it was around $200-300ish. I'm not exactly sure. We eloped so it was no big deal wearing a black dress with little roses on it!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I finally have some real pictures to show :)

Screen shot 2012-02-07 at 1.42.57 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-02-07 at 1.39.21 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-02-07 at 1.38.58 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-02-07 at 1.42.20 PM.png

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
my dress was I think $600? It was almost 12 years ago so I am not sure I am remembering right?

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely photos AutumnNovember, the overlay on skirt of your dress is really special. I also really like the colour choice for your bridesmaids dresses in the background - very understated.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1313086211|2988676 said:
$50 and came rolled up in a fed ex box. :cheeky:

I never regretted not spending much money on the dress. I wore flip flops too, so it was just all super low key.

ETA, this was in 2006.

I love your dress Tgal!!!

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Mine cost $1300 plus an estimated $500 in alterations. I'm not married yet, so I can't say if it was worth it, but right now I am so freaking excited to wear it. Plus, my runner-up dress was $2800 :-o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results