shape
carat
color
clarity

How much should a setting like this cost?

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
I’m looking to set some diamonds put into a setting for a ring.

I have all of the diamonds- the round brilliant center stone and the side stones (10 in total to go on each side of the center stone).

I’d like to set the center diamond in a six prong (not 4) solitaire with the five diamonds (not 9 as pictured below) in the band on each side like the photo below.

E424119B-5AC3-4298-8CCD-578BBEF5D350.jpeg

I’ve reached out to some jewelers in NYC diamond district as well as local jewelers near me. I was surprised that some of the NYC jewelers were two to three times higher than local jewelers — posing pretty high “mounting fees” as part of the price. Can someone e explain that to me also? I’ve never encountered that!

I’m just looking for other opinions on price as I continue to shop and try to make a decision.

Thank you in advance!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You get what you pay for. Make sure the local jewelers have a bench with a good reputation and do a lot of the kind of work you want done.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m looking to set some diamonds put into a setting for a ring.

I have all of the diamonds- the round brilliant center stone and the side stones (10 in total to go on each side of the center stone).

I’d like to set the center diamond in a six prong (not 4) solitaire with the five diamonds (not 9 as pictured below) in the band on each side like the photo below.

E424119B-5AC3-4298-8CCD-578BBEF5D350.jpeg

I’ve reached out to some jewelers in NYC diamond district as well as local jewelers near me. I was surprised that some of the NYC jewelers were two to three times higher than local jewelers — posing pretty high “mounting fees” as part of the price. Can someone e explain that to me also? I’ve never encountered that!

I’m just looking for other opinions on price as I continue to shop and try to make a decision.

Thank you in advance!

The price will really depend on how high quality you want in the setting. You could probably find one for $600-700, but the workmanship/diamonds may not be that great. I'd say to plan on spending $1200+ for 14K gold... maybe $1500+ for platinum.

Re mounting fees... I imagine they want you to buy the diamond AND setting from them.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just noticed you said you had the diamonds for the shank, but it may make more sense to buy that setting intact and use your smaller diamonds later.

The "mounting fees" are probably due to the extra work it will take to set each individual diamond in the shank vs buying a stock setting they already have... more work + lost money (bc you provided diamonds) = higher fees.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
You get what you pay for. Make sure the local jewelers have a bench with a good reputation and do a lot of the kind of work you want done.

Yes! For sure! This local jeweler is one that my grandparents and parents have used for years and years. I wouldn’t trust just any jeweler!

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Just noticed you said you had the diamonds for the shank, but it may make more sense to buy that setting intact and use your smaller diamonds later.

The "mounting fees" are probably due to the extra work it will take to set each individual diamond in the shank vs buying a stock setting they already have... more work + lost money (bc you provided diamonds) = higher fees.

Yes, I did think about just buying the setting, but the diamonds I have are exactly the size i want for my ring (5-7 points each).

still back and forth on 14 vs 18 as i have both now.

I asked about the mounting fees and they stated it was for the center stone. It was a $500 fee which seemed like a lot!

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock

Also—they didn’t have a stock setting which is what i was hoping for with such a simplistic setting! The ones they had have teeny tiny diamond on the prongs or under the head which i dont want because I need something simple and solid for every day wear

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also—they didn’t have a stock setting which is what i was hoping for with such a simplistic setting! The ones they had have teeny tiny diamond on the prongs or under the head which i dont want because I need something simple and solid for every day wear

Why don't you just have someone like David Klass make the ring for you? It will be made just for you, high quality, and a fair price... and you can use your own stones without paying exorbitant setting fees.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Why don't you just have someone like David Klass make the ring for you? It will be made just for you, high quality, and a fair price... and you can use your own stones without paying exorbitant setting fees.

That’s a good idea! I have reached out to him in the past and gotten one reply, I answered and then never heard back. I found that strange given all the people who use him and love him. Maybe I’ll give it one more try! Thanks for the suggestion!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a good idea! I have reached out to him in the past and gotten one reply, I answered and then never heard back. I found that strange given all the people who use him and love him. Maybe I’ll give it one more try! Thanks for the suggestion!

I usually email him with no trouble, but call and speak with Amy if you haven't had luck otherwise.

L

lydial

If you decide against a custom ring, you could find a Stuller bench in your area they could probably get the shank and peg head from Stuller and have a local bench put it together for under a thousand dollars.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
If you decide against a custom ring, you could find a Stuller bench in your area they could probably get the shank and peg head from Stuller and have a local bench put it together for under a thousand dollars.

Oh wow, I had no idea this was an option! Thank you!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I did think about just buying the setting, but the diamonds I have are exactly the size i want for my ring (5-7 points each).
Unfortunately, your 5-7 pointers -- which are probably 2.4 - 2.7 mm in diameter -- are too large for that Stuller shank, which is fabricated to accept 10, 1.8 mm diamonds, i.e., diamonds that are about 0.025 carat or 2-1/2 pointers.

Because of the sizes of those 10 stones, a ring made with 5 of them on each side of the center stone will have to have a wider shank than that of the daintier ring shown in your first post's pics. Is that ok with you?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This may be the easiest and least expensive way to go about it... and if the wearer wants a wedding band to "match", then I'm sure Stuller has that as well.

Re number of side stones... at that size, I don't believe you'd need more. Otherwise, it may be less comfortable if the diamonds are rubbing between her fingers (going down the shank). Maybe the leftover diamonds could be used for the band?

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately, your 5-7 pointers -- which are probably 2.4 - 2.7 mm in diameter -- are too large for that Stuller shank, which is fabricated to accept 10, 1.8 mm diamonds, i.e., diamonds that are about 0.025 carat or 2-1/2 pointers.

Because of the sizes of those 10 stones, a ring made with 5 of them on each side of the center stone will have to have a wider shank than that of the daintier ring shown in your first post's pics. Is that ok with you?

Yes. That’s fine with me. I could be wrong in the estimation.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
This may be the easiest and least expensive way to go about it... and if the wearer wants a wedding band to "match", then I'm sure Stuller has that as well.

Re number of side stones... at that size, I don't believe you'd need more. Otherwise, it may be less comfortable if the diamonds are rubbing between her fingers (going down the shank). Maybe the leftover diamonds could be used for the band?

My engagement ring has 5 diamonds down the side and it isn’t bothersome for me. I’m worried that the stones i have ARE too small and wont give the illusion of eternity from the top. I have 20 diamonds in total. Here is a picture of the ring they are coming from:
ABF21740-F670-4A0A-8DF8-D074B5B09AC5.png

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock

Here is the ring with the diamonds i am using. I’m using the bottom row, furthest away from the center stone. There are 10 of those and 10 smaller ones around the diamond. I think even with 5 I’m going to need to purchase 2-4 more to give the look of eternity on my hand. I do t have a small finger (7.5).
9BB0EA41-EE42-4997-9333-84968CC7D787.png

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have the diamonds been pulled from the ring? If not, that's an additional expense you can expect to pay.

Until the diamonds are loose & have been precisely measured with a jeweler's caliper (or at the very least, measured precisely while still mounted with a jeweler's caliper), I'm sorry to say there's no way of reliably determining whether there's a Stuller shank (or band mounting meant for multi-diamonds) that will work.

Last edited:

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Have the diamonds been pulled from the ring? If not, that's an additional expense you can expect to pay.

Until the diamonds are loose & have been precisely measured with a jeweler's caliper (or at the very least, measured precisely while still mounted with a jeweler's caliper), I'm sorry to say there's no way of reliably determining whether there's a Stuller shank (or band mounting meant for multi-diamonds) that will work.

I am aware of the cost to take them out. I can alway have then taken out and measures locally.

L

lydial

Why don’t you leave them? That setting is so cool! Start over. The little stones are not that pricey.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Why don’t you leave them? That setting is so cool! Start over. The little stones are not that pricey.

Thank you! Personally, I’ve never been a fan of that setting— and I also don’t wear yellow gold. Even as a RHR it would look weird with my wedding set which is in white. Also, the diamond that I am setting was given to me by my mom and the yellow diamond ring was my grandmothers (her mom) so I would be uniting both of their diamonds into one ring :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring that you posted in your first post is a pave setting, which uses much smaller diamonds than you have. The diamonds you have will make a ring much more like this:

I would pick a jeweler to work with based on their quality of work and your rapport with them, and go from there. For a setting you are having custom-made, price is not the only consideration.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
The ring that you posted in your first post is a pave setting, which uses much smaller diamonds than you have. The diamonds you have will make a ring much more like this:

I would pick a jeweler to work with based on their quality of work and your rapport with them, and go from there. For a setting you are having custom-made, price is not the only consideration.

I like that JA ring, I have seen it. I misspoke on the size of my diamonds; they are smaller than I thought.

I agree with you on finding a jeweler I trust and I have one. I was doing my due diligence in research and was just wondering why I have found large price gap in my quotes—some filled with fees that I’ve never encountered before with any jeweler, hence this post.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results