shape
carat
color
clarity

How much life or death in this ring?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I'm honestly tortured by it... and then beyond that it's me projecting my preferences onto the diamond. The irony is that I'm the one most concerned by cut as well.

Would you consider the cut on the I to be an appreciable step up from the H?
(The JA I not the ACA I)

I think of the super ideals as kind of like a Ferrari... I want a Ferrari for sure, but given that it's likely not in the cards for this scenario, it's like... what're people's thoughts on this Corvette here lol :)

More like a convertible ...with the top down very bright just like the large table diamond. More white light return and less fire.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no personal experience of USA Certed but there have been people on here who have used them, maybe do a search to see?

Everyone has to make their own decision regarding the 4 C’s it’s just that on here, cut is regarded as the most important. If you have seen the stone in different lighting environments and are happy with its performance then it’s perfectly ok to prioritise size/colour!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I have no personal experience of USA Certed but there have been people on here who have used them, maybe do a search to see?

Everyone has to make their own decision regarding the 4 C’s it’s just that on here, cut is regarded as the most important. If you have seen the stone in different lighting environments and are happy with its performance then it’s perfectly ok to prioritise size/colour!

I have worked with Martin Sheffield from USA Certed Diamonds. Very knowledgeable and great to work with would recommend his services.

Shiny_Rock
More like a convertible ...with the top down very bright just like the large table diamond. More white light return and less fire.

Bear with me on the car analogies a bit longer, but yes that's exactly the sort of differentiation I'd love more insight into so far as making the choice

I've set both diamonds here side by side for direct comparison, the I SI1 on the left and the H VVS2 on the right. From what you're seeing on the scope images, would the I have appreciably better optical characteristics across the board (it does have better light return after all), or is its light return only nominally better, with the greatest differences being in *how* that light returns? Brightness vs internal fire for example?

I realize I've come onto a Ferrari forum to talk about non-Ferrari's, but it's because this place just happens to know the most about cars in general as well. Cars being diamonds lol.

Attachments

• Diamond Compare.jpg
    Diamond Compare.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 8

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure who you’re shopping with, but most places in order to upgrade, you must spend at least double your trade in. So, if you’re out $17K initially, to upgrade, you need your stone and another $17K. Whereas, with WF or High Performance Diamonds, you need your initial stone and one dollar. At Brian Gavin, you trade in your stone and upgrade at least two of three other C’s (cut, color, clarity). FYI. Also, I have a flattop stone and while it is “bright,” it is not firey. If I had it to do over again, I‘d get more of a TIC or a FIC.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there nothing between a ISI1 and an HVVS2 with the $4k ”savings”? Like an IVS1/IVS2 or an HVS2/HSI1? Seems like these two stones are not the only ones you could choose from. If they were, I’d pick the I and use the $4k “savings” for a majestic setting or necklace.

Shiny_Rock
Is there nothing between a ISI1 and an HVVS2 with the $4k ”savings”? Like an IVS1/IVS2 or an HVS2/HSI1? Seems like these two stones are not the only ones you could choose from. If they were, I’d pick the I and use the $4k “savings” for a majestic setting or necklace.

I appreciate your making a call between the two... given that you're already in the flat-top pack, you know what bothers you, but would the inclusions maybe bother you as well if that's what was lurking? Just asking from a "grass is greener" perspective; but I wouldn't be here if I didn't appreciate the insights like the one you just gave wrt bright vs fire

There are no appreciable 3rd option contenders to slot into that $4K gap, unfortunately, and believe me I've looked. There were two H stones mentioned earlier in the thread via USA Certed but after dealing with multiple other vendors I'm just not comfortable throwing an additional one into the mix (and a bit of an unknown to myself). There are some I's that have higher clarities I've found for $1K, $2K more, but their proportions aren't as good as the I I already have, so it's kind of moot there; what would I really be achieving? There are alternative H's out there, but there's a risk involved as I won't have access to scope images, and what I see with my own eyes on the photos/vids already tells me there are symmetry/light/depth issues with some of these vs this one. You wouldn't believe the amount of time I've put into this daily for like a month+ now lol.

I do love WF and BGD's upgrade policies; I've identified two diamonds on WF that would maybe serve as 'stand in' stones towards the eventual landing spot, but then it's like... for the money I could have either a tangible savings or some additional spec goodies in the here and now.

It's a struggle. I truly appreciate all the thoughts & insights!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results