shape
carat
color
clarity

How much is this worth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
A friend of mine is looking to sell her diamond, and she wants to know how much she thinks it''s worth. Are there any online websites that you can plug in the numbers and it gives you the value? She has an IGI appraisal card that came with it, but she wants to figure out the "street" value.
They are:
1.32 ct round brilliant
7.04-7.08x4.37mm
depth 61.9%
table 59%
girdle: Thin to medium
cutlet: none
symm: good
Polish: good
Clarity SI (2)
color: I (near colorless)
Fluoro: none

The card says $11,515.00. She knows she won''t get that much, but seeing as how she didn''t pay for it, she will make a profit no matter what.

Thoughts?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately IGI is not very reliable with grading. Thus, we don't really know what she has (could be a couple of colors/clarities down the scale than stated), so even if she could plug #s in (such as the ps your stone function), she won't know if that is accurate. Her best bet is to take it to an independent appraiser and let the appraiser know that she is specifically looking for a resale value appraisal.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 7:56:01 PM
Author: John Pollard
This recent article by Neil Beaty may be of interest to her.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/66/1/A-consumer%e2%80%99s-guide-to-reselling-diamonds.aspx
36.gif
Yes!

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I just forwarded it to her. That is a very informative article. I just called up an appraiser from that list so that I can get my M stone looked at, should I take the plunge.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
New diamonds at that size and clarity are available for $3500, so obviously less than that.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Where are you seeing it for $3500?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 8:11:51 PM
Author: purrfectpear
New diamonds at that size and clarity are available for $3500, so obviously less than that.
i wouldn''t even pay $2500 for this stone.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a classic example of why it’s important to know up front what you really have rather than what the seller wanted you to think you have. They may be the same but they may not. Do a search up top for ‘pricescope your diamond’ for 1.32-1.35/I/SI2/round. Sort by price by clicking on the column header. $2994 – 6755. Sort with the lowest prices first and look for EGL or IGI with Good/Good symmetry & polish. I don’t find a single stone but there’s several VG/VG’s in the $3800 range. Discount from here because of the G/G. I would expect it to land at about $3500 or a little less if there was one here at all. The $11,515 figure is just fantasy.

Now do the same thing looking for I/I-1/GIA. That gets you about $3200 for presumably accurate grading.
Now do J-K/I-1/GIA. $2800.
J-K/SI2/GIA is about $3500.

There’s your competition, and possibly your customers. If you are selling to a dealer, figure 40% - 80% of that depending on details that we don’t know. This makes the range from about $1000 to maybe $2500 depending on the grading accuracy. That’s a pretty big range, and the only way to narrow it down is to pin down the grading and decide on a marketing approach. If you sell to a consumer you can possibly get a little more but you’re going to have to pay for a GIA and the Good/Good thing is going to be a serious problem with most buyers. You will need to do the math and decide if the payoff is there. A GIA cut grade of ‘good’ is the kiss of death and a good symmetry/polish is grounds for a steep discount. A dealer would probably recut it if that G/G is legit because today’s market just doesn’t like that and the cutters can usually improve it without too much weight loss. For a fee of course. Again, this becomes a math problem to decide if the payoff is available and worth the trouble.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results