shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does white line affect sapphire price?

Adamo13

Rough_Rock
Do you live in Toronto? There's a jewelry district, and you can schedule with Skyjems to view their sapphires. They have a large selection. If buying online, even I don't feel comfortable unless the seller has a clear return policy, should I not like the stone. Color is something that could appear differently to you, than what it looks like in the photos.

I looked at skygems online inventory and there may be one or two that are interesting, price is a bit higher and stone is a bit smaller but if the quality is there maybe it's worth it!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Gemfix? They have a few nice ones that are round

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Or this

Hopefully others can chime in with their suggestions. Am not in North America and I usually buy my gemstones in person so am not best placed to advise

Adamo13

Rough_Rock
Or this

Hopefully others can chime in with their suggestions. Am not in North America and I usually buy my gemstones in person so am not best placed to advise

Thank you I'll check out gemfix. I am not really wanting to buy online either because it seems I'm extremely picky with the color. I know the deeper blue color that you sent in the link above is nice and preferred by most but I seem to like a bit lighter. To me they seem to have more life and 'shine' maybe not the proper word, but not sure how else to describe it.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thank you I'll check out gemfix. I am not really wanting to buy online either because it seems I'm extremely picky with the color. I know the deeper blue color that you sent in the link above is nice and preferred by most but I seem to like a bit lighter. To me they seem to have more life and 'shine' maybe not the proper word, but not sure how else to describe it.

Maybe you're talking about brilliance in a gem?

Please be aware that, depending on the overall stone size, untreated sapphires cost at least twice (the multiplier gets higher as you go up in size) as heat only sapphires. There are some of us that buy only untreated sapphires that are generally not offered by vendors like Gemfix. Finewater Gems currently has great blue sapphires if you are willing to buy heat only.

Most of us here shop online, but I understand that customs and whatnot is really a half to deal with, having had gems shipped to my fiance's place in Toronto. If you'd rather not but online, then please meet up with vendors in Canada or take a trip to New York City.

The vendor Norita Jewelry Box on Etsy is based in Montreal. The vendor Pristine Gemstones is based in Nova Scotia. You could contact them via Etsy conversations.

I think it's debatable and not true that most of us prefer a deeper blue color. I think the stone you posted had a gray mask, and speaking for myself, I much prefer blue sapphires more along the lines of what Imyracle got, a more vibrant unheated cornflower blue sapphires without gray. I think blues without gray look a lot more vibrant than stones with gray.

Adamo13

Rough_Rock
Maybe that's the term I was trying to describe!

Thank you for that post, I'll look into everything you mentioned. I would prefer untreated but like you said that comes at a greater cost. So if I would find one at a reasonable price that I like it would definitely be my 1st option. I reached out to skyjems in TO and there may be an option for them to send over stones to Montreal so I have a look, but the three I liked we're all heated. He had one nice unheated one but the shape wasn't good for me.

As for the grey that a few had discussed, can you please help me with that? In which picture are you seeing grey? Is it all of them, even the close ups? I always thought I had a good eye for color and in person I didn't notice any grey and in the close ups I'm not really seeing it either.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFix will not sell to Canada or any place with taxes unless it is under $1K. I think there's a lapidary in Canada that goes by the name of Lisa Elsner?

Adamo13

Rough_Rock
Maybe you're talking about brilliance in a gem?

Please be aware that, depending on the overall stone size, untreated sapphires cost at least twice (the multiplier gets higher as you go up in size) as heat only sapphires. There are some of us that buy only untreated sapphires that are generally not offered by vendors like Gemfix. Finewater Gems currently has great blue sapphires if you are willing to buy heat only.

Most of us here shop online, but I understand that customs and whatnot is really a half to deal with, having had gems shipped to my fiance's place in Toronto. If you'd rather not but online, then please meet up with vendors in Canada or take a trip to New York City.

The vendor Norita Jewelry Box on Etsy is based in Montreal. The vendor Pristine Gemstones is based in Nova Scotia. You could contact them via Etsy conversations.

I think it's debatable and not true that most of us prefer a deeper blue color. I think the stone you posted had a gray mask, and speaking for myself, I much prefer blue sapphires more along the lines of what Imyracle got, a more vibrant unheated cornflower blue sapphires without gray. I think blues without gray look a lot more vibrant than stones with gray.

Forgot to reply to you in previous message. Still getting used to the site, sorry.

Adamo13

Rough_Rock
GemFix will not sell to Canada or any place with taxes unless it is under $1K. I think there's a lapidary in Canada that goes by the name of Lisa Elsner?

Ok I'll check that out thank you!

voce

Ideal_Rock
As for the grey that a few had discussed, can you please help me with that? In which picture are you seeing grey? Is it all of them, even the close ups? I always thought I had a good eye for color and in person I didn't notice any grey and in the close ups I'm not really seeing it either.

The sapphire you showed looked a bit steely to me, which is very reminiscent of Montana sapphires or Australian sapphires. The color is not a velvety blue as in the case of finer blue sapphires (which also cost more). When we say a gray mask, it's not that the dominant color anywhere looks gray, but that it's as though we are seeing the blue through a film or filter that modifies the blue.

Adamo13

Rough_Rock

The sapphire you showed looked a bit steely to me, which is very reminiscent of Montana sapphires or Australian sapphires. The color is not a velvety blue as in the case of finer blue sapphires (which also cost more). When we say a gray mask, it's not that the dominant color anywhere looks gray, but that it's as though we are seeing the blue through a film or filter that modifies the blue.

Ok, thank you for clearing that up, I'll try and compare it to other pictures to have a better understanding of the different blues! Currently I'm looking at a couple on skyjems website that may be a possibility since it's within Canada it makes it a bit easier.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you’ll like the look of Montana sapphires.

Leegarry

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes I'm far from an expert, I've only seen about 20-30 in person and we'll I guess hundreds of pictures which unfortunately don't help much, pictures are hard to judge from. Maybe translucent wasn't the best description. I was just meaning it wasn't actually dark like you thought from seeing the pics, cause I don't like when there is a lot of dark spots when looking into the sapphire, whether that's good or bad I don't know, just seems to be what I prefer. And in terms of color, this was what I found the most appealing and the way the light hit it, made it the most stunning in my opinion. And unfortunately if it wasn't for this white line I would have taken it without hesitation...I guess like you said I have to find a way to see more sapphires, but that's the trouble I'm having cause apparently we've exhausted most of the resources locally so I'm feeling stuck

Here is some approx retail pricing information for an unheated 2.70ct Ceylon blue sapphire - it’s important you find out the clarity grade (lab report) (colour looks obvious and it cut appears good possibly excellent) 4400-5300usd SI1, 2500-3100usd SI2, 1500-1700usd for I1.
Good luck.

Adamo13

Rough_Rock
Here is some approx retail pricing information for an unheated 2.70ct Ceylon blue sapphire - it’s important you find out the clarity grade (lab report) (colour looks obvious and it cut appears good possibly excellent) 4400-5300usd SI1, 2500-3100usd SI2, 1500-1700usd for I1.
Good luck.

Thank you for the information! I feel like I'm passing on the white line, not worth taking a risk of it bothering me in the future.

Reactions: T L

lkredhat

Rough_Rock
My 2 cents: It's like getting married. You've only looked at 20 stones. Don't settle. She should be IN LOVE :kiss2: with the stone.

Personally, I recommend involving her in the choice. I find that as you look more, you learn more, and your tastes evolves along with your understanding. It's nice to surprise her in January, but even better to make sure she has a ring she can love for a long time. We picked my stone in a hurry and I've been dissatisfied ever since.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2 cents: It's like getting married. You've only looked at 20 stones. Don't settle. She should be IN LOVE :kiss2: with the stone.

Personally, I recommend involving her in the choice. I find that as you look more, you learn more, and your tastes evolves along with your understanding. It's nice to surprise her in January, but even better to make sure she has a ring she can love for a long time. We picked my stone in a hurry and I've been dissatisfied ever since.

I agree with this. Gemstones have different moods, personalities. You may like one type of stone while she may like another. Something to think about.

Adamo13

Rough_Rock

Hey thank you for the thoughtful message, and actually I have recently involved her in choosing of the stone, I don't want her to know the exact ring and she wants a little surprise but I did show her some pics to get a feel what she likes best too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results