shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does CLARITY really affect BRILLIANCE, FIRE, SCINTILATION

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niceguymr

Rough_Rock
It seems as though it would be obvious that flaws/imperfections in a diamond would affect the way light is reflected through and from the stone. However, most of what I read says that the cut characteristics are the most important when it comes to brilliance, fire, and scintilation. That being said, how much are characteristics like brilliance, fire, and scintilation affected by the flaws of say... an SI1 stone versus a VVS2 stone for example?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
For VVS2 I would say no way, no how could you see a difference. For SI1 it might happen if the clarity call were made by an expansive cloud throughout the stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
not much at all assuming that there's not a big monster inclusion in the middle of the stone or something... which could possibly affect how light plays off the facets...i don't think that there is a definitive statement to be made one way or the other.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
A clarity grade of SI1 or above from a strong major lab - or one of the boutique labs like some of the notable PS appraisers run - indicates no inclusions are having a visible influence on the diamond's performance. Large clouds (remember, clouds are groups of tiny inclusions) may influence performance in SI2 or lower - but the question of exactly how many tiny inclusions is deemed a cloud is subjective. Be careful of SI1 where clouds are the grade maker. Inclusions other than clouds, large enough to influence performance, call for a clarity grade lower than SI2.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results