shape
carat
color
clarity

How much did you pay for your everyday handbag?

How much was the original price of your everyday bag?

• $1000 and up

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • $100-$200

• $200-400

• $400-800

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use my Burberry tote every day, it was $500 and a gift to myself when I was interviewing for a new job this summer. This is the first year I''ve carried anything that I paid over $100 for though...but this is my second expensive bag and there''s no turning back now. Expensive bags are an addiction, much like jewelry!
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
My good bags are my every day bags...I don''t save them for special events....WHile I have a few expensive designer bags, my fav bags are by far the cheapest...One I got on Norstrom online for like $250 and the other is my black Longchamps ( I hope I spelled that right). which was under $200. That bag rules! I have recently been totally turned off my logos and expensive bags though...I have no idea why...Maybe there are just too many things to lust after at once :)

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to carry my LV as much as I can because soon it''s going to be replaced by a diaper bag.
6.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
35.gif
I paid a little over $200 for mine about 7 years ago. It''s a leather Dooney & bourke, and it has held up very well.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
This is so eye-opening to me. I felt bad a year and a half ago when I spent between $250 and $300 on a handbag, but I have used it every single day since. I only own maybe 5 handbags and that includes my dress purses. So, I guess I am just not a handbag person, though I can definitely see where they can be addictive! I have loved every one that I have ever bought...there''s something about a new handbag that just makes you feel good! :)

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m a handbag person that is apparently NOT a handbag person. I haven''t bought a bag that cost over $100 in, um, 15 years. I do like variety though, so I own several dozen bags, but they were all under $100 and most of them were under $50. I consider $60 to be expensive for a purse. My most recent purchase was an all-leather number from Target for $15.99. I tried to find something at Macy''s but they didn''t seem to have anything that was all-leather.

I have looked at expensive bags but I''ve not seen anything yet that is worth the price to me. I even attempted to find something, anything that would make me covet it and nada... zip, zero, I just think they''re kind of blah. And I really hate bags with a lot of hardware or that look like they''re trying too hard.

So AlJ and Mimzy and I will be over here in the cheap corner, happy with our non-famous purses, ok?

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Great topic! For many years, I was one of those girls who had TONS of bags, none of which were expensive but would change bags daily to coordinate with my outfit. My favorites were one made by native americans that was around $25 and a black leather one with this cool green lining that I haggled down to well under $100 while vacationing in Italy, but there were a LOT of random ones that could be purchased with a Jackson. A few years back, I took the leap and purchased two Louis Vuitton bags (one monogram, one black epi) in Europe and have now been liberated by the freedom that comes with a great, well-made, goes-with-anything bag.

I clicked 800-1000. I''d love the Suhali lockit, the MJ-designed Manhattan, or the Sac XL in Mahina leather in the catalogue LV sent to the house for Christmas, but I do worry that with a couple of those I''d be too concerned about my handbag staying clean to use them as everyday bags.

I have my eye on a Neverfull, Lockit Horizontal, Alma, or Batignoles Horizontal in monogram in the near future-- I need a larger everyday bag-- and I think they''re all in that range, right?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have been carrying Hayden Harnett bags and my styles are originally priced at over $400. They frequently have good sales--one in going on right now--and everything is 20% off. HH are relatively new designers, who are located in Brooklyn, NY. I just bought and returned a Rebecca Minkoff MAB, which retailed for over $600. It was much too big for me. I''ve been thinking about LV, but I love smooshy leather. What I really want is a Balenciaga City, but the budget just won''t accomodate one at this time
39.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Okay, today I switched bags. I am using a Balenciaga Twiggy in the color truffle. I love the twiggy style the most. I also finally decided to use my Bal. cinammon coin purse. I use those little pursekets in them to help keep it all organized otherwise everything would be all over the place. I will post a picture in a few minutes.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of the bag, although it''s not as dark.

bal truffle twiggy 009_edited.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
And here is a picture of the inside. Love the pursekets!! The one I have has five pockets and I have each one filled with a little something, pens, gum/candy, keys, id holder, etc.

bal truffle twiggy 012_edited.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
This is the bag I''m waiting to be delivered: Hayden Harnett Orsay Satchel in Caffe

11858160101083784808orsay.jpg

susi

Shiny_Rock
Awwwww, a thread after my heart
30.gif
And some good looking bags and styles, ladies.

I like Hermes.....and even tho I have several other Hermes styles, prefer the Kelly for ease of use everyday.

Here is one.....when it was new just out of the box.

HermesKelly352.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
susi~your Kelly is TDF
30.gif
Be still my beating heart. Do you have a Birkin and, if so, do you like the Kelly better for every day use?

susi

Shiny_Rock
Marian, thank you
35.gif
Yes, I prefer the Kelly style for several reasons.....the way it looks, of course, and the option to use a shoulder strap with it....or not. I leave the strap attached to my Kellys and just use it when needed ( which tends to be often )

I do have a Birkin ( have had others and traded or sold them to friends ) and a HAC( Haute a Courries ) which was the forerunner to the Birkin....and a couple of other H styles. Not nearly as many pieces as a lot of ladies who are really into the Hermes styles, tho.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2007 12:52:35 AM
Author: pennquaker09
I''m going to carry my LV as much as I can because soon it''s going to be replaced by a diaper bag.
6.gif

No need to replace the LV marque! Do what I did. I got the bigger version of the Speedy to use as a diaper bag. It worked well! [And I wound up carrying it as a handbag until a few years ago. BTW, DD is almost 20!]
9.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wish wish wish I had bought that Balenciaga City in Red this summer while in PS, b/c they do not have it nearby
8.gif
and I lurve red and the bag.......

The last three bags I have purchased have all been around $1200 each, but I wear them all the time and alternate--a Prada, LV and Gucci. I bought those three within two years but have not bought a new one in at least a year, so I believe it is time....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I alternate between 2 bags, one is a black Mark Jacob''s , think it was under 1k, the other is the LV Manhatten bag, was about 1,200?? Not sure as it was a gift from hubby. They are both a few years old now, and have held up very well.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
When I was a college student I wanted a coach bag SO bad, and couldn't justify the price at the time. When I graduated I bought one and started an avalanche (especially once I discovered the coach outlet)! I have about 8 now and maybe 2 kate spades. I keep meaning to sell some bags on ebay and have not gotten around to it. I use my medium and large black Coach bags the most. Even if I am running errands in gym clothes or whatever, I carry a decent bag. I haven't bought any purses in a year or so and next time I do buy one it is going to be something besides coach or kate spade. Time to branch out. Maybe I will spend more next time, b/c I take really good care of my bags and they last forever. To answer your question, I have spent probably between $100 and $200 on each of my everyday bags (by shopping sales and outlets) and I have a few too many of them!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to carry my LV as much as I can because soon it's going to be replaced by a diaper bag.
6.gif
You are a man, yes? Is this a LV briefcase you are carrying? Or do they make a special sort of manly handbag? I'm thinking of the episode of Friends where Joey carries a man-purse (kidding with you of course!)

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2007 12:46:58 AM
Author: TanDogMom

I'm going to carry my LV as much as I can because soon it's going to be replaced by a diaper bag.
6.gif
You are a man, yes? Is this a LV briefcase you are carrying? Or do they make a special sort of manly handbag? I'm thinking of the episode of Friends where Joey carries a man-purse (kidding with you of course!)

LOL! No, I think the proper name is Bastille. But I suppose that's not a lot of help, It's a damier canvas messenger bag. I personally find the damier canvas more guy looking that the monogram canvas. I carried an LL Bean Deluxe Book pack for YEARS, and when I got to college I started my love affair with messenger bags. Since I started graduate school, I tend to not carry my good stuff, lately I've been carrying this:

burberry bag.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add me to the list of those who do not carry expensive bags! I''ve always loved Aigner bags because they are very traditional, well made, and won''t break the bank. Until I came here, I thought a $150-200 bag was really expensive! Funny how PS can reorient your mind on things!

For most of the year, I carry a black leather Aigner bag. Sometimes I change in the summer to one that has s summer material (not sure what it is called). I generally buy my bags when there is a 20% off sale, so I can get a $100 bag for $80. I''ll use them for a couple of years and then donate to GoodWill and get a new one. I don''t collect purses, so I never have more then 2 or 3 everyday bags at a time. I have a couple of small clutch type purses for dressy occasions. Oh, and I like it that the Aigner bags have sections and little pockets built in. I''d never find anything in those unstructured purses.

Lill_The_Thrill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 6:56:18 PM
Author: fansynancy
While I have nice bags, I never had one this super nice (although I dream of someday owning a Kelly bag!)....

Ya know, I tried to put my name in for a Birkin and they wouldn''t even let me on the LIST!! I do have a few Judith Lieber''s though.

I think they''ve just recently stopped using waiting lists (i''m not sure though), but that''s what I heard
28.gif

aami

Rough_Rock
I have always been proud of the fact that I have never paid full price for a purse=) I have had mainly coach and kate spade that I have always found on sale at Macy''s! But I have had a Gap purse that I got for $20 down from $150 (never knew gap had such expensive purses! ) and I have gotten more compliments on that one than any other purse. This Christmas I am lusting after a Dooney and bourke bag even though I have never liked that brand before.
Here is the bag, sorry it won''t let me link it directly

http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=25154

This would be the most expensive purse I have owned.
But I think it would go with everything and fit all the extra things I am carrying around now that I no longer have a car to keep all my extra stuff in...

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
My most expensive handbag is a £40 leather bag that is fabulously soft--got it at TK Maxx. I covet tons of bags, like Kate Spade, Coach, Prada, LV...but don''t own any. Yet.
27.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
ETA: Oh, forgot to mention that the original price of the bag was allegedly £120 (didn''t see the poll at first so I didn''t think to add that bit).

chicagohills

Rough_Rock
I have an obsession with Isabella Fiore bags. What is it about quality leather that makes you want to stick your head in the bag and zip?

Here is my latest:

images-1.jpeg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of my bags are on the high end. I carry LV, Gucci, Chanel, Marc Jacobs, Dior, Balenciaga, Prada, Tods, Valentino and Hermes. These are everday bags, I have similar brands for evening clutches and small bags, but of course use them much less often. I just tend to like the styling of the more expensive bags, though I do buy some of the hyped styles and end up feeling like they are impractical for all my stuff and for daily use, or too heavy. They get retired in my closet. Sometimes I luck out and get great bags on sale. I just got a Dior quilted lamb hobo that was nearly 1200.00 originally for 700.00. I also got two Tods bags, one that was 1100.00 for less than half (thanks Neiman's!) and also another one that was on second mark down at Saks so was likely close to 60% off. It is a gorgeous blue soft hobo with a drawstring top. My friend got it about 4 months early and paid full price, which was close to 1200.00. Most often I am not lucky enough to score deals like that, but at least I do sometimes, and it is great when a bag I wanted goes on sale! It is like getting a gift.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi DF! Thought I''d say hello.
35.gif

You MUST check out the new Cartier Marcello bags - to-die-for!
3.gif

I just bought the small tiger-print calf skin version. It was surprisingly affordable for a Cartier piece. This was the first year that I''ve seen a bag at Cartier that I actually felt was well-designed for everyday use. The size and color choices are excellent also.

I''d attach a picture, but I haven''t figured out how to download pictures from a Flash website.
8.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not really a handbag maven. I own about ten, three are Coach leather, five are Tignanello, and the other three are of uncertain parentage (I believe there''s a very casual one from Esprit in my closet somewhere.) I love Tig leather and I adore the Tig Perfect 10 Shopper so much that I own it in three colours.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results