Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

how much can i get for my 2.55 carat diamond?

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Messages
222
Hello!
Noticed diamond prices have gone down. I bought my 2.55 round brilliant a couple years ago and it seems to have gone down in price $5-6k.
Here are the stats:
Shape: Round
Optical Symmetry: Premium
Weight: 2.55 carats
Measurements: 8.76mm long x 8.79mm wide x 5.34mm in depth
Cut & finish:
Proportions: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: None
Total depth: 60.90%
Table percentage: 59.00%
Crown angle: 33.60 degrees
Pavilion angle: 41.20 degrees
U.V. florescence: None

My question is how much do you think I can sell this diamond for on either a Loupe Troop/Diamond Bistro platform or with a consigner (before they take a percentage)?
Thanks for the help!
ElleElle
 

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Messages
222
diamondseeker2006|1466881561|4048271 said:
Here's an ACA at about $30k:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3596858.htm

Ideal cuts will run a little less than hearts and arrows, so maybe $28ish retail price, and you would likely sell for 20-25% below retail.

I feel your pain. My diamond was from 2013 and I would do as well selling back as selling second hand. Does your vendor have buyback or trade in?
Thanks as always diamondseeker for your prompt and thorough replies! I won't name the vendor but when I bought my stone I had a "limited warranty" which means if I wanted to upgrade I can only use the original supplier to choose the upgrade from. This was okay with me. Problem is vendor is telling me now that in the 2 years that I've had the diamond the supplier has gone out of business so I can't use my full purchase amount towards a new stone! They are accommodating me with a $25k credit towards an upgrade instead of what I originally paid. Needless to say I'm pretty upset and a bit angry. Trying to figure out how I'm going to handle my next move. Thoughts?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,277
Well, considering you probably can't get $25k for it selling it yourself or on consignment, I am afraid that $25k might be your best bet IF that vendor has competitive prices, a stone you want, and you don't plan on upgrading again. I wish I had better news, but this is a great time to buy but a lousy time to sell! I certainly can understand being upset at that situation, though. Who would have thought that supplier would have gone out of business?!
 

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Messages
222
diamondseeker2006|1466884306|4048298 said:
Well, considering you probably can't get $25k for it selling it yourself or on consignment, I am afraid that $25k might be your best bet IF that vendor has competitive prices, a stone you want, and you don't plan on upgrading again. I wish I had better news, but this is a great time to buy but a lousy time to sell! I certainly can understand being upset at that situation, though. Who would have thought that supplier would have gone out of business?!
Just my luck right?! Wish I didn't have DSS then I wouldn't be in this situation! Thanks again for your insight!
 

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Messages
222
diamondseeker2006|1466885381|4048306 said:
Trust me, I totally understand!!! Still a good time to buy, which is the upside!
Hi diamondseeker. So I'm planning on a making my decision this week whether I'll send the diamond back to be consigned with the company or wait until diamond prices go up. They are still offering to sell for $25,875 taking only a $500 commission. Do you still think I should do it? Not sure if it's just me but I looked up comps to my stone again and it appears they are going for a little more now than a month ago? Correct me if I'm wrong. Your input is very much appreciated!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,277
Hard to find an exact comp. I am seeing that same 2.5 H SI1 ACA at $29k (same as it was when I posted it before), and then I am seeing a lot of GIA XXX in the low to mid 20's with those specs. So I am still thinking that price is pretty accurate.

If you are sure you want to upgrade, I would go ahead and do it. Because if you wait until prices go up, you may get more from the current stone, but you'll pay more for the upgraded stone! So probably best to do it now.

Hope it all works out and you can find your new stone soon!
 

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Messages
222
diamondseeker2006|1469418232|4058996 said:
Hard to find an exact comp. I am seeing that same 2.5 H SI1 ACA at $29k (same as it was when I posted it before), and then I am seeing a lot of GIA XXX in the low to mid 20's with those specs. So I am still thinking that price is pretty accurate.

If you are sure you want to upgrade, I would go ahead and do it. Because if you wait until prices go up, you may get more from the current stone, but you'll pay more for the upgraded stone! So probably best to do it now.

Hope it all works out and you can find your new stone soon!
Thanks again for your honest reply! I'll keep you posted if it all works out!
 

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2014
Messages
222
diamondseeker2006|1469418232|4058996 said:
Hard to find an exact comp. I am seeing that same 2.5 H SI1 ACA at $29k (same as it was when I posted it before), and then I am seeing a lot of GIA XXX in the low to mid 20's with those specs. So I am still thinking that price is pretty accurate.

If you are sure you want to upgrade, I would go ahead and do it. Because if you wait until prices go up, you may get more from the current stone, but you'll pay more for the upgraded stone! So probably best to do it now.

Hope it all works out and you can find your new stone soon!
Need one more bit of reassurance! Im feeling insecure about taking the plunge and sending my diamond back for consignment(even though I'm sure I want to upgrade). Here are the reasons:
-It has to sell first before I can use the $25k credit
-Takes another 30 days to pay me before I can use the credit
-I'm already out $6k cause prices have gone down on my specs so I'm hoping to make that up before prices go up, but...
-What if prices go up in that time (could take at least 2-3 months)

Sorry to bug you just want to make sure I'm not making a completely impulsive decision!
Thanks!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Three Yays for Cartier
    Three Yays for Cartier

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top