shape
carat
color
clarity

How much are you paying for your designs?

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Did you express concern about the stone pressing into your finger when discussing the stone and mounting with your jeweler?
Unfortunately I didn't, and that's my fault. I had done tons of research and measuring and even the Stuller factory had told another jeweler that it would accommodate a stone with a pavilion even deeper than mine (which we now know is totally incorrect). Anyway, I went into the jewelry store, showed them my stone, and asked them for a price on the Stuller setting - they quoted me the cheapest price on it that I had heard yet, so I told them to order it, paid for it, and left my stone with them and told them to call me when it was done.
I do have to go pick up a setting from the same jeweler for my wife next week and I'll ask them then if they have any recommendations on options for me.

I also imagine your jeweler adding lattice or a different pattern of some sort on the underside of the ring to prevent your finger flesh from migrating up there as much, would be cheaper than eating this Stuller and remaking custom.
Now that may be a perfectly acceptable solution, if they can do it. Can they build up the edges of a ring like that? I wouldn't want "lattice" added - just built up about 1mm or so.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I didn't, and that's my fault. I had done tons of research and measuring and even the Stuller factory had told another jeweler that it would accommodate a stone with a pavilion even deeper than mine (which we now know is totally incorrect). Anyway, I went into the jewelry store, showed them my stone, and asked them for a price on the Stuller setting - they quoted me the cheapest price on it that I had heard yet, so I told them to order it, paid for it, and left my stone with them and told them to call me when it was done.
I do have to go pick up a setting from the same jeweler for my wife next week and I'll ask them then if they have any recommendations on options for me.

Now that may be a perfectly acceptable solution, if they can do it. Can they build up the edges of a ring like that? I wouldn't want "lattice" added - just built up about 1mm or so.

argh that's frustrating! i'm sure the jeweler will have some options for you though. looks good! now just need to make it a bit more comfy!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous on you! I think it really turned out nice from a design perspective. I hope the jeweler can maybe build up the underneath with some sizing beads under the top, or perhaps just resize it a little looser. I don’t know if it’s 95 degrees where you are, but everyone’s fingers are usually a little puffier in the summer heat.

Good luck to you! I’m optimistic that your jeweler will know how to address this.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
It looks gorgeous on you! I think it really turned out nice from a design perspective. I hope the jeweler can maybe build up the underneath with some sizing beads under the top, or perhaps just resize it a little looser. I don’t know if it’s 95 degrees where you are, but everyone’s fingers are usually a little puffier in the summer heat.

Good luck to you! I’m optimistic that your jeweler will know how to address this.
Thanks. I really like how the design turned out too.

I talked to my gem cutter, Scott Laborie, and he's going to "shave off" a mm or so of the culet - says it's a quick, easy job and he will do it for free.
I will have to pay my jeweler a little bit to remove it and reset it, but I believe this is the best solution, and fortunately at the least expensive price too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry your ring didn't work out. Perhaps someone could add some metal or something to it to raise it up so that it doesn't rub against your skin?

I've spent a lot of $$$$s on ring settings. And I don't find that any more or less offensive than people spending money on expensive sports cars (I'm not into those so that's a useless luxury item too IMHO), expensive shoes, handbags, expensive makeup, designer furniture, expensive bedding, electronic gadgets and so on.

In fact, buying gemstones themselves would also fit into that same luxury category that ironically our friendly cutter finds perhaps somehow distasteful or extravagant. We all live in a highly consumable society. I wear and buy what I own for me, to please myself - and I've reached a wonderfully zen point in my life where I don't care squat what anyone else thinks about that.

Last edited:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry your ring didn't work out. Perhaps someone could add some metal or something to it to raise it up so that it doesn't rub against your skin?

I've spent a lot of $$$$s on ring settings. And I don't find that any more or less offensive than people spending money on expensive sports cars (I'm not into those so that's a useless luxury item too IMHO), expensive shoes, handbags, expensive makeup, designer furniture, expensive bedding, electronic gadgets and so on.

In fact, buying gemstones themselves would also fit into that same luxury category that ironically our friendly cutter finds perhaps somehow distasteful or extravagant. We all live in a highly consumable society. I wear and buy what I own for me, to please myself - and I've reached a wonderfully zen point in my life where I don't care squat what anyone else thinks about that.
Check out my thread here where we discuss what my options are, including adding something to the back side.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-heres-my-ring-yall.249165/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd rather fix the setting than fix the beautifully cut stone. You can add to the metal but you cannot add to a gemstone. :cry2:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We all live in a highly consumable society. I wear and buy what I own for me, to please myself - and I've reached a wonderfully zen point in my life where I don't care squat what anyone else thinks about that.

This is exactly how I feel! A few days back I put on two strands of pearls, one short and one long, with jeans and a t-shirt. It felt so good to have them on and I didn't care how I looked. I FELT pretty. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results