shape
carat
color
clarity

How much are you paying for your designs?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course not, the stones are very useful! They are used to be set into jewelry.

I also said "basically useless". So aside from the satisfaction of looking at it, what are the other useful things that you can do with jewelry that would warrant a few thousand dollars? Assuming that a few thousand dollars is noticed in your budget.

Durning the partial government shutdown, we kept hearing that most people live from pay check to paycheck and missing a check would pretty much put them into deep financial trouble. I would think that the average person couldn't justify thousands for a piece of jewelry. Thank god for the top 1% or so who can !

LOL, so your product is useful, but setting it into jewelry makes it useless. Pray tell, what utility is your $558 orange rock, AKA spessartite garnet, providing to your customers?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it could have been better phrased but I don't think it was meant as an insult. Gene's comment strikes a chord with me because I started with nothing and worked so frickn hard at less than satisfying school and career opportunities just to get some stability in life.

It was many many years before I could dream of allocating money for something like a custom designed piece of jewelry. Mind you my stuff is not even that fancy by PS standards. I get why the comment is rubbing some people the wrong way but to me it is a reminder that it's a delightful privilege for me to be having these conversations and debates with you all.

Hug it out, y'all :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL, so your product is useful, but setting it into jewelry makes it useless. Pray tell, what utility is your $558 orange rock, AKA spessartite garnet, providing to your customers?

That was said as a joke.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Gene, you got me totally confused.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I find it kind of refreshing to hear a bit of honesty from someone in the trade...

I always have to remind myself that all of this stuff is a “want” and not a “need”. I’ve come very close to blowing our family’s budget on something shiny. Fortunately, I’ve always caught myself before getting in trouble. And when I do finally buy a new ring or necklace I usually sell an old one. Credit card debt for a jewelry purchase isn’t worth it to me. Plus, I try to keep in mind the environmental impact of the jewelry and the stones. Recycling is much better than hoarding. I can own a lot of things, just not all at the same time. I don’t mean to offend anyone; this is just my honest opinion.

Now excuse me while I head off to Van Cleef & Arpels.
Just kidding :P2

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm definitely not in the top 1%, but I'm in a situation where I'm not paying for a house and don't have expenses related to kids. I'm a collector by nature, and while as a kid I collected books, now with eBooks and audiobooks I no longer collect that. I used to collect perfumes and Rebecca Minkoff purses, but once those cluttered up my closet I realized I don't need so much stuff. Where else to put my dollars after maximizing my retirement contributions? I was mesmerized by my engagement ring, and felt an affinity with gemstones because my name literally means Crystal.

After I get married, I expect to put my money elsewhere, but I am trying to collect rarer gemstone pieces that will spark joy in my future family before I know where I'm going to settle down and buy a house. As far as I'm aware, everything's rarer than colorless/ brown diamonds apart from quartz and the commonplace garnets, and part of why I can afford what I buy is that I'm not into the diamond hype.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised at how much people are paying to set these stone. My wife would never pay more than $20 for any piece of jewelry! She buys her stuff at the check out counter at Forever 21 or Marshalls. Don't you need to buy groceries or heat your homes?

Is this for real, or has his account been compromised?!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Meh... I have a budget and stick to it. We save most of the unused money for a down payment. It’s much easier to do this when you wear clothes from 4 years ago, eat out only once a week, and don’t drive a car.

My dad used to be so poor that he didn’t have shoes. I try to follow his teachings (without going overboard in miserliness, of course).

Last edited:

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
I'm genuinely insulted. I'm a teacher and a widow with kids. I'm hardly 1%. I bargain hunt, work hard, scrimp and save and more than once have liquidated everything I was saving for a new project on one of my kid's wants. On very rare occasion I get to buy and create something beautiful for myself that makes me genuinely happy, and I'm hurt that someone deeply involved in that process finds that laughable and pointless.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Along with wondering if it's unauthorized posting,
I first thought if maybe it was commentary on manmade specimens that's been showing up on his site more often lately vs his preference for natural?
Or someone get that man a snickers bar.

Sorry for the thread jack OP!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Eh, I agree with Gene! I LOVE gems and jewelry and I have spent what I consider way too much money on them (uh, gems, more than jewelry -- I have too much to set right now), but I would be the first to say they are useless :D I mean, they don't heat my house or feed me or...

It's really cool that I can occasionally spend $$ on something that brings me joy but is honestly kinda functionally useless <3

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I'm sorry, but Gene is wrong. Gene, I say this without any bragging attached to the following statement. I look more beautiful in some of my jewelry. There is no doubt in my mind that earrings do something for my face that makes me more attractive. A emerald necklace enhances my whole outfit and makes me more lovely. I know a tiara would also enhance my looks, but that is not something I have in my possession, nor, would I really want one as I would have no place to wear it.
I think if you told your wife how beautiful she looks in some of your jewels, she wouldn't go to marshalls for the 20.oo trinkets. Of course some women look beautiful in anything. I need my earrings for the wow factor.

Annette

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I sincerely hope that it comes out that his account was compromised. Otherwise, he's going to lose customers or in my case, potential customers. I thought that the initial post was a joke at first because there was no way that anyone in the gem business would talk that way to their customer base.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a weird turn this thread took! Coming from a lapidary who profits from selling stones, then judges those who can afford to buy them? Seems a bit hypocritical, no?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sincerely hope that it comes out that his account was compromised. Otherwise, he's going to lose customers or in my case, potential customers. I thought that the initial post was a joke at first because there was no way that anyone in the gem business would talk that way to their customer base.
Not compromised :( he emailed me asking if I really want a refund for my stones. No idea what to think other than being dissapointed and sad.

carolinablue

Rough_Rock
It's also important to remember when you're having a custom setting created, especially by a local, independently owned jewelry business, you're supporting other hardworking individuals. There are always going to be exceptions, but I doubt the majority of them are trying to gouge you for everything they can. It takes considerable time just to work up a quote for a job, and if that customer ends up going elsewhere, that's time you're never going to be paid for. Like most of us, small independent jewelry stores/designers are just trying to make ends meet, pay the bills, and have enough to live off of at the end of the day.

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
i'm certainly not 1%. i am a college student that is majoring in something that is considered "useless". but i don't see my major or my education as useless -- no i won't make big bucks coding or engineering stuff but i feel it has made me a better, more well rounded, virtuous person to learn about it. i don't think that we should be measuring everything in our lives by "utility." i feel that does a disservice to our human experiences.

i completely get and agree that jewelry is not a "need" but there is beauty in the sentimentality for me. one of my favorite rings is a moissanite cut by a hobby cutter, i found it on LT and was absolutely floored at how beautiful it was. so i bought it. it was purchased during a particularly hard time in my life and i loved sitting by the window watching the facets move in the light. just seeing it made me happy! i eventually went to david klass and had it set in a beautiful yellow gold bezel that i wear nearly every single day. that came out to a little under 1000 dollars, so big bucks for a college student. but it is a sentimental piece to me because it was something beautiful i purchased *for myself* to recognize that i had managed to get thru this part of my life. another sentimental piece: i was given a diamond ring when i turned 15 in place of a quinceñera because my father had been deported and my family could not afford the traditional party. i still have that tiny little diamond ring. it is not useful, but it reminds me of what my family was willing to pour their money and energy into to make me happy, to instill normalcy during a very very hard time in our lives.

yeah all that money could've been spent heating our home or buying us food or whatever, but i am thankful for these physical reminders of where ive been in my life and where i am going. utility is not the only thing that matters in my life and i am glad it isnt.

either way, gene should be thankful that there are people who loves his useless little rocks.

Last edited:

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not compromised :( he emailed me asking if I really want a refund for my stones. No idea what to think other than being dissapointed and sad.
I understand, lovesdogs, it would be hard if you had a history with him :( This makes me glad I've stuck with Yvonne for the last 8 years, you never have to worry about this kind of BS with her.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m genuinely shocked that this wasn't a case of someone else posting from Gene’s account.

I wonder if Gene’s wife has a wedding ring or engagement ring and, if so, if she considers them, as jewellery, “basically useless”? Wedding rings (just a piece of metal, like any other jewellery) have been worn since Ancient Egyptian times: for a tradition to continue for thousands of years, across vast numbers of civilisations and cultures, would suggest it either serves a purpose or feeds into a deep-seated human need or desire, and is therefore far from “useless”.

Berating customers for buying a product of which he is a large part is considerably lacking in both common sense and emotional intelligence, to say the least. And unless Gene is donating all proceeds from his gem cutting, after food/heat/basic necessities, to those less fortunate than himself, he is also throwing stones in glass houses. The $20 he says his wife spends on jewellery in Forever21 may be a life-line to someone struggling to feed themselves, so why does she ‘waste’ it on “useless” jewellery? No different to his criticism of those on this forum.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
holey moley Gene, what were you thinking re: your posts in this thread??? Many many things can be deemed "useless" depending on POV. I will say for myself a beautiful shiny rock cut by someone who despises his customers is useless in my book. It does say something about you that you purposefully spend time and money on cutting equipment and rough to cut basically useless items to sell to people you apparently find contemptible. Talk about joy-sucking, condescending posts... but you have made your point very clear, and I hope CS-buying PSers take note and direct their CS $$$ elsewhere.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fellow pricescopers,

We are all allowed to have bad days, weeks, months etc. I would like to suggest everyone let it go what Gene said in this thread.

We have no idea what he is going through in his life right now.

Plus, you know that saying: cobblers kids have the worst shoes, dentist kids have the worst teeth, hair stylist’s kids have the shaggiest hair etc.

It’s very possible Gene’s wife doesn’t have fancy gems.

My intuition tells me Gene is not having a good week. Perhaps we can find some grace and let it go and wish him well if he is having troubles in his life.

Just my thoughts.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer @SouthernGent 's original question.

For custom rings, having vendors who can understand and execute exactly what you want needs to be factored into the cost. I am not as particular as many PSers (CADs actually overwhelm me with what to look for lol). As long as the setting is well made and has the overall look I asked for, I am usually happy.

For a simple rings like the one you posted, I have begun using a jeweler near my parents as it really doesn't require a cad, mold, etc. The cost for me is $220/labor plus gold and any diamonds. The rings I have done so far are substantial and have ranged from $450 (14K) - $600 ($18K + diamonds). The catch is that because there are no CADs to approve, you need to be very specific what you want and should have it in writing. Note: This is probably not the pricing you will find at your typical b&m jeweler. I use a small shop with their own bench in an Asian shopping mall...I started using them for sizing and repairs before I got comfortable enough with their workmanship to go this route. For me, developing relationships with 1-2 local benches has saved a lot of money.

Designs, CADs, etc..usually add another $400 or so to the cost and I will continue to use for more intricate/detailed designs. Some charge up front (so they don't take a loss if you back out) while some just include it in the final cost. I mostly use Yvonne for this because we have established a relationship over time that makes it easier as she knows my taste and we can be upfront in our opinions without offense. But she doesn't take 3rd party stones so for those I will sometimes look for stock/used settings that can be modified (again I have an experienced affordable local bench so replacing heads, etc is not expensive). I tried custom with another highly recommended PS vendor but was always disappointed because she didn't know me (and I tend to rely on the vendor's judgement a lot). That being said, I recently did my first piece with David Klass and the experience was great.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @lilmosun.
I did send David Klass an email message along with a couple of pictures a few days ago, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results