shape
carat
color
clarity

How many people have or buy D IF diamonds?

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Hello,
This is my first post :).
I got engaged and married a few years ago now and hadn't really thought about my engagement ring much other than my love choose it so of course it was perfect ;-).
We have moved since then to an area where people have larger stones. I love my ring but can't help noticing it's smaller size...
It is a 2ct D IF brilliant cut diamond in a simple cartier 1895 style setting. It is not from a store or online but a dealer who imported the stone from Europe.
I didn't realise how much it cost until recently and now I am wondering what percentage of people choose such a perfect stone or wether most people go for bigger diamonds

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Posted before I had finished!
Do any professionals have thoughts on this? I would never change my diamond, I have thought that maybe I would change the setting to one with a petite band and pave diamonds but what worries me is lesser stones distracting from the main man!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8548402-2.28-carat-Round-diamond-D-color-IF-Clarity.aspx?sku=8548402&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8568466-2.30-carat-Round-diamond-D-color-IF-Clarity.aspx?sku=8568466&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

I guess a decently cut 2.0c D IF will cost you about 50k+.
A random GIA XXX 2.0c D IF is 40k+

In comparison....

2.0c G/H VS stone costs about 20k.
F VS1 is 25k+, which is still colorless and mind-clean clarity.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4676490-2.02-carat-Round-diamond-F-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=4676490&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

For this reason, many will recommend you to avoid D/IF combo unless you have a special desire for such high clarity/color combo.
Most stay at G or lower, and VS1 or lower. A few go as high as F. They were couple posters who were seriously considering 1.2c D IF at 25k. I believe they decided to go with VVS clarity instead.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most go for size. Very few people view D IF as the right balance of the four C's. Those that do rarely go over a carat,

Also, and I hate to say this, but if your stone is not graded by GIA or AGS or HRD it may not be a true D IF.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regarding what the Professionals think, here is a thread that may help. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/professionals-re-inclusions-can-i-get-some-opinions.219913/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/professionals-re-inclusions-can-i-get-some-opinions.219913/[/URL]

Regarding the small appearance: many D IF stones are poorly cut. Poorly cut diamonds do not sparkle or shine or look as big as well cut ones. Read here: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Your ring sounds beautiful. Classic and timeless setting.

FWIW/IMHO a D IF diamond is very desirable. And if $$ were no issue, all "my diamonds" would be D color and IF clarity--ideally cut of course! :bigsmile:

Now you have a 2 carat D IF are you looking for a larger diamond of different color and clarity?

cheers--Sharon

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Wow lots of replies!
It cost over 100k so it better be graded lol. It comes with all the paperwork.
It is beautiful. It is completely see through. I think you have all answered my question... no one does do they :/.
I kind of wish I hadn't researched it as if I knew I probably would have chosen a bugger stone slightly less quality (of course I am a woman!!). I know my husband probably thinks of it more in terms of an asset.
No I won't change it. It's my husband's choice and it's understated quality which is him through and through.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chamomiletea|1471395687|4066736 said:

EDIT.
Nevermind, you already own the ring.
ENJOY IT~~~

100k is not unreasonable. Diamonds were more expensive back then. The market is down now

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well 2ct is pretty sizeable to most folks. If you want to amp the bling get two diamond set eternity rings to wear each side. But remember, the others rings might be bigger but yours is perfect!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chamomiletea|1471395687|4066736 said:
Wow lots of replies!
It is beautiful. It is completely see through. I think you have all answered my question... no one does do they :/.
I kind of wish I hadn't researched it as if I knew I probably would have chosen a bugger stone slightly less quality (of course I am a woman!!). I know my husband probably thinks of it more in terms of an asset.
No I won't change it. It's my husband's choice and it's understated quality which is him through and through.

Enjoy your engagement ring! (....make no mistake, there is nothing understated about a 2 carat D IF stone!! :saint: )

cheers--Sharon

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Yes it was bought back in 2011. I mentioned to my husband my friends huge beautiful rings and he snapped at me, I didn't understand so logged on to the Internet to start researching.
My favourite angle is this side view looking through it, it's filthy hasn't been cleaned since I got it and I wear it every day but it still looks see through :).
Edited to add I live in the L.A area :roll:

1471398824128.jpg

Q

Queenie60

chamomiletea|1471399122|4066759 said:
Thank you. Yes it was bought back in 2011. I mentioned to my husband my friends huge beautiful rings and he snapped at me, I didn't understand so logged on to the Internet to start researching.
My favourite angle is this side view looking through it, it's filthy hasn't been cleaned since I got it and I wear it every day but it still looks see through :).

So what exactly do you want to know? Seems you're happy with your stone so no need to search? Enjoy!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what Flying Pig was getting at is that only AGS or GIA papers as seen to be accurate and other labs grade higher than what is correct for the stone.

Regarding D IF, that is a great stone, rarity is worth and costs more and you have size also in a 2 carat.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
I guess I wanted reassuring... L.A. everyone is big is better which is fine but when I found out the cost I was worried as mine is understated shall we say to what others wear. I didn't understand.. where that money went?! I grew up modestly so I guess to not be able to see the worth was concerning to me. I'm not going to think about it anymore! My diamond is perfect like my husband and that is all that matters. I might even treat it to a professional clean (the ring that is) :).
Edited to add reassurance because researching did bring up the balancing of the 4Cs nothing mentioned rarity other than waste of money. So yes that was what was on my mind.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy your lovely ring but please start cleaning it. If you have worn it for that long without cleaning it a professional job sounds right. Then start doing it yourself regularly.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The money is spent. Enjoy it. If you want to jazz it up, change out the setting and put it into a nice halo. If your husband's style is understated, well, that's great. But the ring is about both of you. So if YOU would prefer something a little more jazzed up a new setting is the perfect compromise. You keep the stone that reflects his aesthetic, and you get it set in something that reflects yours. Compromise. One of the cornerstones of marriage, as I am sure you know:

Here are settings (and high end designers) I'd recommend:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-halo-solitaire
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/braided-shank-halo-solitaire
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/dual-shank-halo-solitaire
https://www.singlestone.com/single-stone-collection_c2/page7/sasha_p955/ (look through all the settings on this site).

Both Victor and Singlestone are in LA area. Singlestone is worth a visit in downtown. Victor is available by appointment so check his site.

Look up "before after halo" threads on here. You'll see the difference it makes. And these are super high end designers that can match high end melee in the setting (so you would get D/E VS melee). Reset should cost about 12k ish.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girl, get some dishwashing liquid and warm water. Soak it for 10 minutes and scrub it with a soft toothbrush and it will be good as new. Save yourself the hassle of a professional cleaning. Do that 3 times a week and you'll have a new looking ring all the time. For that much money it should sparkle like nobody's business.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the specs? you must post more pics of this ring :!: :appl:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I have learned as I get older is not to compare what I have to anyone else, it just leads to discontent! Be happy with the beautiful ring your fantastic husband took such love and care over making as perfect as possible. I've never been to LA so I can only imagine what the bling is like, in the rest of the real world 2ct is huge. I wouldn't be able to wear a ring that size, most people would assume it was fake.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowdrop13|1471416597|4066807 said:
...in the rest of the real world 2ct is huge. I wouldn't be able to wear a ring that size, most people would assume it was fake.

This.

The US of A does 'bigger is better' probably more than anywhere else in the world - over here in the UK, 2ct is Footballers' Wives territory! :lol:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been honored many times to assist people with D-IF diamonds. It is a relatively rare occasion since a diamond two to three colors lower and as many as five or six clarity grades lower can look identical to the naked eye for much less money. However, to those who make the choice to go with D-IF it is often a statement made by the giver to the recipient that, "This diamond represents the perfection that you bring into my life."

Being a romantic at heart, I especially enjoy the symbol of the perfect diamond for the perfect lady.

I sincerely hope that you recognize and appreciate the choice that your husband made in giving you this diamond. Now get out there and follow the good advice that you received to have it professionally cleaned and then do a little maintenance on it at least weekly to keep it clean. That way the sparkle of your diamond can remind you of the intensity of your husbands choice.

Wink

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of the replies and the information, I really appreciate it. I feel much better now. I will probably ask for a new setting for an anniversary or something. I like how I can *see* the diamond in this setting but the platinum is getting a bit scratched and I think a thin micro pave band might look really nice :).
Two more pics for the person that asked :).

20160814_095723_richtone_hdr_.jpg

20160814_100334_richtone_hdr_1.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chamomiletea :wavey:

From my observation, it's often the man who wants the 'perfect' stone, while the woman would rather have great or good (not perfect) specs, but more size. I like a nice, white stone, but there's not a lot of visual difference between a D and an F, and no visual difference between an IF and a VS1. Since even an IF has minute inclusions (inclusions aren't judged on what inclusions are in a stone - they're based on what inclusions can be seen at various levels of magnification), to me it's a technicality. So a VS1 stone is more than sufficient. To that end, an E/F, VVS2/VS1 stone trumps a D IF stone for value any day of the week in my opinion. It's lovely to have 'perfection' - but these are gradings, not absolutes. Keep in mind also - 'D' is a color - not a standard of perfection. It's the most colorless of the stones. But what if you're someone who prefers a creamy look? Or golden? Or a blue? Or - saints forbid! - a red diamond? Diamond collectors would agree that, for rarity and certainly highest price - you cannot beat a colored diamond! So who's to say whiter is better anyway? It's like comparing a red rose and a yellow rose and saying yellow is better. Says who?

Having said all that - your stone is gorgeous. I agree, though, I'd get that puppy to Victor Canera and get it into an equally stunning setting to make the most of it - both size and artistry-wise. And I'm sure Victor can source colorless melee for the setting, so there is zero concern that it will distract from your center stone. And I mean like NONE. When all is said and done, a ring is a piece of jewelry - an adornment - a visual item - so, while it's great to have flawless stats, 'flawless' is subjective and is sometimes (in my opinion) more a statement of testosterone than aesthetics or consideration for the tastes of the girl who will wear it. Not saying this is your situation - just agreeing with previous posters that your preferences should be paramount. And I'd love to hear the cut stats on your stone!

Of course, you could go really crazy and get a pink diamond halo.... :love:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is truly gorgeous and super bright white/colorless! If the platinum patina bothers you, you could always get it polished - it comes out looking brand new! I, personally, adore a beautifully done solitaire but if you are wanting something different, I second having Victor Canera make you a setting. His work is just gorgeous.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
He looks like a good person to go to for jewelry. His work does look beautiful and very classy. We didn't know who to use on the west coast so thank you. I can find the name of the person we used on the east coast.. apparently he supplys rings to sports stars and wall street bankers so he's well known. My husband did ask what setting I wanted and I think my words were 'I don't mind, simple'. He said did I want baguettes and I said No. Lol. Now I am thinking why didn't I research this more!!
Looking at the halo settings I don't think they are me. They are very beautiful but I don't want to hide it or pretend it's something it's not. Also I have short fingers

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
I keep posting before I am finished :/
If I was to get it reset I am thinking a super thin elegant micro pave and maybe on the basket too. Feminine, petite and elegant but with subtle sparkle. I think that would inject some of my personality.
I love my husband, bless him. He did the the best he knew how.
I don't know the details of the cut, tbh it is probably perfect. I am interested to find out now!
I'm finding new appreciation for my ring. I have worn it gardening, giving birth lol...

P

PierreBear

Hello! I think everyone already shared great comments and I'm not a diamond expert like these other individuals. I just wanted to mention that my engagement ring, like yourself, was purchased before I discovered pricescope. I did have similar thoughts that if I had more information/done more research that it would have resulted in a different ring. However, I think the idea you suggested was great. If you still like the ring, continue to enjoy it for sentimental reasons. It doesn't stop you from an anniversary ring if you are desiring something larger to fit in more with your peers. May your marriage continue to be blessed!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1471438262|4066865 said:
Snowdrop13|1471416597|4066807 said:
...in the rest of the real world 2ct is huge. I wouldn't be able to wear a ring that size, most people would assume it was fake.

This.

The US of A does 'bigger is better' probably more than anywhere else in the world - over here in the UK, 2ct is Footballers' Wives territory! :lol:
Yep- same here in NZ. Anything over 1.5 carats is very unusual

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful! You say you wear it for gardening etc; I like to wear my ring 24/7 too. I have my ER (1.02ctw) and a 20th anniversary 3-stone with a 2.2 CTW diamond and two 1 ct each sapphires. The reason I'm telling you this is that I LOVE my bigger ring, but I don't think it's practical on a 24hr/day basis - 4 kids, 3 pets, driving kids, pets, supplies, sports equipment here, there and everywhere. Ex. - I was just wearing my 3-stone ring and was trying to dig down to the bottom of an overstuffed beach bag so I could grab the sunscreen to spray my son & his three friends, who couldn't care less about the sun. Well - I honestly couldn't get to the bottom of the bag with my big ring! I guess these gals in LA who you're referencing do it somehow, but much bigger than 2 sounds fun, but not very practical, if you're a person who likes to keep you rings on all the time. BTW - your rings look so classy and beautiful. ENJOY!

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Over $100k? Everyone is too polite to tell you this was a heist. The dealer stole the price of an SUV from your family. No, diamond prices were not higher in 2011 than they are today.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results