clarity

How Many People Got Engaged

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1352152458|3299316 said:
Chewbacca|1352152351|3299315 said:
audball said:
Chewbacca|1352151264|3299299 said:
Audball.. yikes! I would be removing everyone from my FB feed at this point!
Seriously. Some other people have recommended this too, but that seems so extreme. Unfortunately most of these people aren't close to me and are just people I have gone to school with, etc. Some of them I didn't even know where in relationships let alone relationships serious enough to consider marriage. Bleh.

Suuuuuucks! I guess I avoid this pain-in-the-a$$ because I have 40 FB friends! Ha ha. I have about 5 of them on my feed, I guess its easier to cull when there aren't many to begin with!
Wow! 40 isn't many at all. I have ~350. I didn't think that was a lot seeing as how many of the people I know have 1,000+. I had over 600 for awhile and went on a deleting spree.

Its a tiny list alright! I removed anyone who wasn't a family member or close friend (and a few old close friends). STONE COLD! No regrets! :lol:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Just saw another engagement today. My (well, ex's best friend, and a still a good friend of mine) popped the question. He divorced a while back, but has been with this new chick for a while.
Nonetheless, it wasn't something I needed to see today. FML. I'm so tired of feeling like there's something wrong with me. Like I keep ending up with guys who won't buy the cow 'cause they get the milk for free. :blackeye:

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1352158186|3299393 said:
Just saw another engagement today. My (well, ex's best friend, and a still a good friend of mine) popped the question. He divorced a while back, but has been with this new chick for a while.
Nonetheless, it wasn't something I needed to see today. FML. I'm so tired of feeling like there's something wrong with me. Like I keep ending up with guys who won't buy the cow 'cause they get the milk for free. :blackeye:
Aww, I'm sorry. Try not to think that way. If your relationship is really progressing, try to dismiss those feelings. HOWEVER, if you really think that he's putting it off because he doesn't think he has to, etc, then listen to your gut and make sure your feelings and expectations are known.

audball

Ideal_Rock
#14 just popped into my newsfeed. FML. I wish I were making this up.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1352159362|3299415 said:
MBKRH|1352158186|3299393 said:
Aww, I'm sorry. Try not to think that way. If your relationship is really progressing, try to dismiss those feelings. HOWEVER, if you really think that he's putting it off because he doesn't think he has to, etc, then listen to your gut and make sure your feelings and expectations are known.

I think I've been burned too many times in the past, and now I seem to expect the same from M. I wouldn't say our relationship is progressing, but it hasn't stalled. I guess it's plateaued? :rolleyes:
He's so good to me, and I try to remind myself of that. But it's so hard sometimes to think otherwise.
I try to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know he's been struggling at work (he has a commission based job), and we've fallen behind on our bills. So I know that there's no extra money for him to save towards a ring. And perhaps his mindset is until he has a decent amount saved up, he doesn't want to bring up e-rings or anything. (He doesn't have any credit cards, and he wouldn't qualify as his credit is shot, thanks to some old collection matters that are still on his credit report for another few years).

Maybe I'm being naive, I don't know.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1352159538|3299419 said:

SMH. I'd be pouring myself a BIG ol' glass of wine right now, if I drank it. Instead, I'll just enjoy beer #2. :D

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1352160455|3299438 said:
audball|1352159538|3299419 said:

SMH. I'd be pouring myself a BIG ol' glass of wine right now, if I drank it. Instead, I'll just enjoy beer #2. :D
I don't drink either...maybe I should start (kidding!).

audball

Ideal_Rock
Aaaaaaand #16 in my newsfeed this morning. Yeah.

lkc84

Rough_Rock
audball|1353171631|3308781 said:

Holy crap! :shock: I would be seriously considering disabling my profile or at least a long hiatus if that were me. Ugh.

audball

Ideal_Rock
lkc84|1353188071|3308919 said:

Holy crap! :shock: I would be seriously considering disabling my profile or at least a long hiatus if that were me. Ugh.
Yeah, it's a lot. But I don't want to miss happy times in my friends lives just because I'm tweaking! I know my time will come and I'm sure there will be someone else thinking, "gosh, that's the 3rd one this week!".

I try to remind myself how GREAT our relationship is, that it is progressing, that we will get engaged, and it will be when it's good for the both of us. There are some in these 16 that I'd never trade places with in a million years. Our relationship is stronger, better, and worth waiting for.

I think I've come to terms with the other people getting engaged before me thing. There is always someone who is going to be one step ahead of you. I'm lucky enough to have found the person I want holding my hand for always. I know he won't let me go.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jeez. When are these people going to get married? They better hurry and claim their dates so their guests can attend!

lkc84

Rough_Rock
audball|1353189015|3308925 said:
lkc84|1353188071|3308919 said:

Yeah, it's a lot. But I don't want to miss happy times in my friends lives just because I'm tweaking! I know my time will come and I'm sure there will be someone else thinking, "gosh, that's the 3rd one this week!".

I try to remind myself how GREAT our relationship is, that it is progressing, that we will get engaged, and it will be when it's good for the both of us. There are some in these 16 that I'd never trade places with in a million years. Our relationship is stronger, better, and worth waiting for.

I think I've come to terms with the other people getting engaged before me thing. There is always someone who is going to be one step ahead of you. I'm lucky enough to have found the person I want holding my hand for always. I know he won't let me go.

Aww! Well said! It's so hard to remember that things happen on different timelines for each couple, but it's definitely true that the best things are worth waiting for!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1353189393|3308928 said:
Jeez. When are these people going to get married? They better hurry and claim their dates so their guests can attend!
I have no idea! I don't know if they all know each other or not...but yeah, if they're all going for 2013 or early 2014, they better get to setting dates and picking venues since we all live in the same area (unless they're going destination or elopement...or both).

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Well, none for me (surprise!) My newsfeed has been dead.

However, M just got a text from a coworker last night. M looks at me and says "How do you spell congratulations?" And I told him, and he's like, "Weird, my phone keeps wanting to auto-correct it." I asked what's going on, and he said "[coworker] just proposed to [coworker's gf]." I just said, "Oh" and left it at that. That's the third coworker this year. I'm glad it's not me.

I'm past all that, luckily. I am the only unmarried at my job (minus one of the younger attorney's, but I'm pretty sure he bats for the other team, if you know what I mean....). I've gotten some grief from my boss in the past ("when's that guy of yours gonna pop the question?") but other than that, it's pretty quiet. And I like it. :Up_to_something:

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354277018|3319139 said:

However, M just got a text from a coworker last night. M looks at me and says "How do you spell congratulations?" And I told him, and he's like, "Weird, my phone keeps wanting to auto-correct it." I asked what's going on, and he said "[coworker] just proposed to [coworker's gf]." I just said, "Oh" and left it at that. That's the third coworker this year. I'm glad it's not me.

I'm past all that, luckily. I am the only unmarried at my job (minus one of the younger attorney's, but I'm pretty sure he bats for the other team, if you know what I mean....). I've gotten some grief from my boss in the past ("when's that guy of yours gonna pop the question?") but other than that, it's pretty quiet. And I like it. :Up_to_something:
Aww, I'm sorry H! At least you don't hear/see it much. I'm officially up to 18 in my newsfeed in the last 6 weeks.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1354283684|3319196 said:
MBKRH|1354277018|3319139 said:

Aww, I'm sorry H! At least you don't hear/see it much. I'm officially up to 18 in my newsfeed in the last 6 weeks.

That's just insane. I'm sorry. :knockout:

I guess it's because on FB, most of my friends are already engaged/married/have kids. Of course, there's some friends that recently posted ultra sound and belly pics, but that doesn't grab my attention, obv (as you all know I don't want kids).

The only unmarrieds left are those a few years younger, my age and still in their "party-hard-I'll-sleep-when-I'm-dead phase, or the been-married-once-already-not-looking-for-love types.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354316334|3319599 said:

I guess it's because on FB, most of my friends are already engaged/married/have kids. Of course, there's some friends that recently posted ultra sound and belly pics, but that doesn't grab my attention, obv (as you all know I don't want kids).

The only unmarrieds left are those a few years younger, my age and still in their "party-hard-I'll-sleep-when-I'm-dead phase, or the been-married-once-already-not-looking-for-love types.
It's fine. I'm getting over it. I'm to the point where I'm really finding it comical! And it helps that #18 was the wonderful sweetpea! I was super happy for her and N.

I'm really thinking I don't have more than a few more weeks to wait. If I'm not engaged by the end of 2012...come January 1st with no proposal, I will be absolutely devastated.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1354318229|3319622 said:

It's fine. I'm getting over it. I'm to the point where I'm really finding it comical! And it helps that #18 was the wonderful sweetpea! I was super happy for her and N.

I'm really thinking I don't have more than a few more weeks to wait. If I'm not engaged by the end of 2012...come January 1st with no proposal, I will be absolutely devastated.

I really hope you get yours. Loads of extra ~*~*~*~*~*~*~DUST~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* for you. *hugs* too. I don't want you to be devastated.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1354321577|3319657 said:
I really hope you get yours. Loads of extra ~*~*~*~*~*~*~DUST~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* for you. *hugs* too. I don't want you to be devastated.
Thanks! I hope so too. I really don't want to ruin my favorite season of the year by being let down. All signs point to it happening, though! Please oh please oh please! All I want for Christmas, is him! :)

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1354318229|3319622 said:

Aww thank you, Aud. I know it's been SO tough for you, and you've been so unbelievably patient! I hope Andrew gives you a Christmas you will never forget!

audball

Ideal_Rock
sweetpea&babycorn|1354501183|3320961 said:
Aww thank you, Aud. I know it's been SO tough for you, and you've been so unbelievably patient! I hope Andrew gives you a Christmas you will never forget!
Thanks sweetpea! I really am happy for you!! Everything is going to work out exactly as it's supposed to. Andrew graduates in 12 days. Christmas is 3 weeks from tomorrow. Me thinks I have less than 3 weeks left to wait.... :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I'm focused on so many other things (this week at least) that hopefully it'll be here before I know it! I've been trying to help Andrew with all his final school work and practicing for interviews, applying for jobs, etc.

He has an interview today. For a great company. Pay much higher than we were hoping for. He hasn't even graduated yet. It would be beyond perfect if he could land this. I know statistically speaking it's unlikely to land the first job that you get interviewed for, but goodness it would be such a wonderful thing. He's so deserving, I hope with all I have that he can get this job. I'd forgo the proposal altogether and give up my ring if I could make this happen for him.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Aud! Good luck to Andrew on his interview! Lots of dust to you! :praise:

I had 2 more engagements this weekend… bah! I’m hanging in there though. So many other things going on this time of year so I am okay. Talk to me in January when I am a freaking-out-LIW again. LOL! :naughty:

audball

Ideal_Rock
antiquesparkler|1354543344|3321235 said:
Aud! Good luck to Andrew on his interview! Lots of dust to you! :praise:

I had 2 more engagements this weekend… bah! I’m hanging in there though. So many other things going on this time of year so I am okay. Talk to me in January when I am a freaking-out-LIW again. LOL! :naughty:
Thank you! I'm hoping between all the positive thoughts, prayers, and PS dust, that he'll get it!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I have my fingers crossed so tight for you two, audball!

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
Things have calmed down since the three that happened over Thanksgiving... I am guessing there will be another spurt around Christmas/New Year's. I want mine so badly but I don't want to "share" it with other couples on my friends' newsfeed - is that insane? hahah

audball

Ideal_Rock
Chewbacca|1354568917|3321556 said:
I have my fingers crossed so tight for you two, audball!
Thanks so much Chewbacca! I really hope so too!

audball

Ideal_Rock
boysenberry|1354570415|3321578 said:
Things have calmed down since the three that happened over Thanksgiving... I am guessing there will be another spurt around Christmas/New Year's. I want mine so badly but I don't want to "share" it with other couples on my friends' newsfeed - is that insane? hahah
Same here, it's slowed some but mine are still coming!

And no - not insane. I totally get not wanting to share your special time with other people! It's one of the things I've been using to help myself be okay with how many I've seen recently! The more that get engaged NOW the less that will LATER! :)

For me, I just don't want to wait longer for the sake of not "sharing the spotlight". I also LOVE Christmastime and the magic of this season. It seems like perfect timing *for us* too because Andrew graduates and then we'll have a few weeks mostly off together to enjoy it and celebrate, share with friends/family, etc. I so hope it will happen.

But I do TOTALLY get it. I'm really hoping I won't be "sharing" with too many people either!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I was creepin' old friends' pages today (when the ex and I split, I deleted mutual friends; ones I made only because of him), and there were FIVE engagements, all within a week of each other. I guess I'm glad that those didn't pop up in my newsfeed, as we're no longer friends.... but man........ it still stings.

Last night was M's holiday work party, and only one person asked when we are getting engaged/married. I was relieved, as I was expecting at least three people that would ask. But it sucked because the three coworkers that recently popped the question were introducing their SO as "my FIANCEE" with so much enthusiasm, I could vomit. And of course, I nearly went blind from all the bling. Ugh. Oh, and then the recently married couple couldn't stop gushing about THEIR fabulous wedding. All the while I'm being introduced as "My girlfriend", which made me feel like absolute crap. :(sad

My work party is this Friday, so who knows what's going to happen.

Are the holidays over yet? :blackeye:

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Awww, MB. I am so sorry to hear that. ;(

It's so tough this time of year, but your time will come and the best part is- everyone will have had their time and then you won't have to share the spotlight with anyone. This is my theory that is keeping me sane and I am sticking to it. :wacko:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Bummer! I'm sorry the holidays are getting you down. I've (surprisingly) not seen any this week! I'm holding strong at 18 (so far!). I'm hoping that everyone is already engaged and that I'LL get to be the holiday one, but I'm sure more will pop out of the wood works in the next few weeks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results