shape
carat
color
clarity

How many pairs of earrings do you have?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I just have one: my diamond studs. So I wear them a lot!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
... hundreds? No, seriously: I have a problem.

When I was a kid, I was kind of a snob: fakes and costume were for the plebes, and I was going to have grown-up earrings. So I got my ears pierced at 9, after much begging, and accumulated coral roses and 4 ctw emerald studs and chunky Italian gold huggies (I am lucky that I had, a) indulgent parents, and, b) indulgent parents who were in the jewelry business). Once I started making my own, I sort of went wild: enormous bezeled amethysts on knotwork stems, iolites flanked by garnets, the works ... and then I sort of burned out on earrings in college and just wore black pearl studs for three or four years.

Once I hit grad school, I bought my first costume pair in, of all places, an H&M: enormous "crystal" (re: plastic) pears set in an ornate blackened framework, very Victoriana. And I was off to the races ... over the years I've bought Indian enamelwork and Venetian glass and deco diamantes, the works. I think my favorite pair is probably a HUGE pair of crescents enameled a brilliant blue: those never fail to get compliments.

Since I bought my bezel studs, the rest of the collection has been getting a little break: whereas before I switched pairs every day, now I tend to leave these be and only swap out to match a particular outfit or for an especially fancy occasion. I will admit, there is something funny about the fact that for fancy occasions, I take OFF the expensive diamonds to put ON the dangly crimson chandeliers that cost me 6 bucks from a street vendor! Guess it's a case of mood over matter ... while the diamonds make me feel v. fancy for everyday, possibly because I do wear them everyday, or possibly because there are so many CZ imitations out there, wearing a conversation-piece, even one made of cheap materials, somehow feels more appropriate. Faberge would approve, I guess?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own 6 total pair:
1 pr cz
1 pr diamond
1 pr diamond hoops I am trying to consign
3 pr stainless steel CBRs (6g, 8g, 10g) from when my ears were stretched.

IF I wear any, it's usually the diamond studs, and that's MAYBE once a week, generous estimate. I never remember to put them in.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have many pairs of earrings, several dozen, I'd guess. I have never worn costume earrings, since I was told that cheap metals are not good to put into your ears. So, all of mine have been 14k gold or better. When I was younger I wore 14k yellow gold ball studs, and I've had my aquamarine and Chrome tourmaline studs for many years. After discovering PS, I got my 0.85 ctw diamond studs, and many more pairs of colored stone studs.

Lately I've gotten a number of colored stone briolette earrings; the latest pair are citrine drops. I've also begun collecting pearl earrings, both drops and studs.

I choose my jewelry to coordinate with my clothing for the day. I purchase clothing that goes well with my jewelry, not the other way around. Getting dressed in the morning and selecting my jewelry for the day is one of life's small pleasures.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After my hubby got up, I decided to go and count the earrings. 110 total. Here is a photo ms. Phoenix

IMG_0801.jpg

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
2.5 pairs of small diamond studs (0.60ctw, 0.25ctw, and 0.10ctw, lost one of the 5 pointer a couple months ago)
diamond in and out hoops
diamond huggies
A few pairs of bead chandelier earrings
Gold plated dangle earrings

I've been wearing my studs. Sometimes I switch out my first studs with the huggies, but that had been a while.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
I used to have about 5 pairs, a set of diamond studs, 18 kt white gold hoops, two sets of 14 kt yellow gold hoops with diamonds and emeralds on one, and diamonds and sapphires on the other, and then finally a pair of titanium rose colored hearts from BGD. Unfortunately I went earring-less for a year and since then can't stand wearing earrings without my ears itching like crazy :blackeye: I gave all of those to my mother, so now I have zero pairs!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 pair 14k yg diamond huggies
1 pair 14k wg diamond clusters
14k multi color 2in long dangles (haven't wore these in over a year)

I added a 2nd hole in my ears so I could wear both the huggies and clusters at same time. They are my daily wear earrings.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Oh holy moly. I couldn't even count. I don't have any real ones so all of mine is costume jewelery....I wear these AB crystal ones on a daily basis because I really love the way AB crystals look..I wish there were diamonds that existed like that. I wear my earrings based on what kind of outfit I'm wearing =]

P.s. I have never ever had any issues with the cheap metal and so I will continue to wear my costume jewelery. :praise:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1314467635|3001714 said:
After my hubby got up, I decided to go and count the earrings. 110 total. Here is a photo ms. Phoenix

PLEEEEEEEASE tell me where you bought that jewelery holder...I need one, JUST like that. I am notorious for losing my earrings all the time.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have several earrings, but the ones I wear are 3/4" WG hoops, 3/4" YG hoops, and pearl studs. I have a toddler so even these don't get worn much.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have far too many earrings, only because I wear the same dozen over and over again. The rest languish in jewelry boxes.

I do not usually wear 'fine jewelry' earrings like diamonds or other stones. Nor do I wear a lot of gold; sterling is cheaper than WG for the look, and I wear much less YG than I used to. However, I love YG and rose gold, and if I could afford to spend right now, I might be seriously tempted to invest in rose gold pieces.

Most of my earrings are chosen because they are interesting, unique, go well with a specific clothing item, etc. I do not wear studs or huggies or tiny hoops. I'm not a 'wear a necklace everyday' person, so I tend to draw interest to my face with earrings; tiny ones would not serve this purpose.

If I'm wearing costume, I try not to attempt a 'real' look - - because it just looks like I can't afford real. If you wear obvious costume, it's all about the design and style - - not the fake factor. Costume jewelry used to be worn by the most elegant of women (think the 1940s through the 1960s); even Jackie Kennedy had her favorite pieces (like her glass pearls).

My favorite pieces are either completely classic (simple SS earrings), or romantic in an antique/vintage/ethnic inspired design. I'm not into big, clunky, mod, or trendy. I don't wear plastic, rhinestone, feathers, etc.

I would totally wear these:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=510602&CategoryID=55287&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3D2028%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D11
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=427383&CategoryID=55287&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DMonet%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D59
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=585383&CategoryID=10835&LinkType=#fn=METAL%3DSterling%20Silver%26sp%3D2%26spc%3D458
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=549141&CategoryID=10835&LinkType=#fn=METAL%3DSterling%20Silver%26sp%3D6%26spc%3D458
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=587636&CategoryID=10835&LinkType=#fn=METAL%3DSterling%20Silver%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D458
And these look pretty good for fakes, don't they?
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=571174&CategoryID=10835&LinkType=#fn=METAL%3DSterling%20Silver%26sp%3D4%26spc%3D458
These would have been perfect with my Edwardian-style wedding dress:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=309205&CategoryID=55287&LinkType=#fn=EARRINGS_STYLE%3DDrop%26sp%3D6%26spc%3D540

LB faux turquoise.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Or these earrings from Dillards:

LB faux turquoise.jpg

Barse scroll.jpg

Barse faux coral.jpg

Simple Silver teardrop hoops.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1314469793|3001785 said:

PLEEEEEEEASE tell me where you bought that jewelery holder...I need one, JUST like that. I am notorious for losing my earrings all the time.

hey Autumnovember-it is a jewelry armoire by Lori Grenier. I bought it from QVC but I have seen them elsewhere. It is supposed to keep silver from tarnishing. It comes with a stand, but can be hung on the wall, which I did in my closet. It has a key to lock it as well. I have double hung alot of my earrings so it holds more. The whole thing is pretty jammed packed, but it works for me!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1314474551|3001888 said:
Autumnovember|1314469793|3001785 said:

hey Autumnovember-it is a jewelry armoire by Lori Grenier. I bought it from QVC but I have seen them elsewhere. It is supposed to keep silver from tarnishing. It comes with a stand, but can be hung on the wall, which I did in my closet. It has a key to lock it as well. I have double hung alot of my earrings so it holds more. The whole thing is pretty jammed packed, but it works for me!

thanks so much! I must buy it.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
At least 20 pair, most of which are just fun dangles I wear to match my outfit for work or whatnot.

Vc: I've got my block O earrings I wear, plus some super cute wooden bead earrings with one side shaved off to make them look like buckeys in case you ever feel like borrowing them! :lol:

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh Holly. Nice earrings. I'm with you - I love pendants but I think earrings draw attention to your face more. Just wish I didn't have sensitive ears.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a late bloomer & all my earrings have been amassed in the last 4 years! I'll list them in order of preference?

1. vintage OECs w/inside-only miligrained platinum bezels (I've worn these approx 75% of the time since I've owned them)
2. (NEW!) white gold dangles with clusters of three bezeled champagne diamonds & a clear glass (?) drop.
3. matte finish rose gold four petal studs with tiny central bezeled diamonds
4. matte finish white gold dangling discs with even teensier gypsy set diamond chips
5. reversible huggy hoops with scattered gypsy set diamonds -- once side matte & the other plain solid white gold

I have a couple of costume pairs but never wear them. My face is too pudge for big dangling hoops or those super sized danglers. They hit against my monster cheeks! LOL.

One day I'd like a real pair of pearls .... and my beloved Cartier Inde Mysterieuse studs ... and an elusive pair of pave octagonal huggy hoops with miligrain that I saw at Takashymya well before I'd pierced my ears.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I have no diamond earrings...I REALLY WANT to change that, but the economy isn't helping right now.

I have about 4 pairs of nice gold or silver earrings that I can wear everyday and then about 30-40 pairs of all others from generally nicer everyday (turquoise, enamel, etc.) or evening (pearl, stone, etc.) to very nice costume pairs for formal wear (nicer stones like aquamarine and quartz or very nice CZ chandelier, etc.)

I would love a pair of beautiful lever back diamond drops for everyday or gorgeous diamond chandeliers!

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
I own 2 but all I wear are my diamond studs.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a cheapie fake pair that I wear if I don't want to risk losing one or don't want to bother with the locking backs on my diamond studs, a nicer fake pair, the bezel diamond studs, and large pearl studs. I wear pearls most of the time because they cover the most ear-real estate!

klop1986

Rough_Rock
can I count all of the one I bought for my girlfriend?

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I have lots of sterling silver earrings that I used to wear from when I was younger, and 1 special pair of earrings that I wear for special occasions and 2 for everyday. My everyday is a pair of 1ctw round diamond studs bezel set in 18kt wg by BGD, and my other everyday is a pair of opal and diamond studs that DH bought me our first Valentine's day after we got married. My special occasion pair, is a pair of earrings that belonged to my grandmother. I also have 2 sets of ball studs that I wear in my second piercings (one in wg the other in yg.)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I recently culled my jewellery collection and what stayed behind, were, earrings. I often do not wear anything else (besides my ER.)

Cut my hair very short recently and am enjoying the "view". Sometimes it is just simple gold hoops--it is enough.

That siad, I have gotten into the "bad" habit of buying only Signed Pieces" and usually in colored stones. I think I have only one pair of diamond earrings; Kwait star.

Oh wait, were we supposed to provide numbers? :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a ton of earrings, just a handful. I have diamond studs, 2 sets of pearls, very small rose gold balls, silver starfish, silver interlocking circle dangles, hand beaded black and white dangles, multi colored stone dangles, and Chinese coin dangles. About 90% of the time I wear my diamonds, I used to wear my pearls a lot but I need to get one of my sets fixed, in the summer I also wear my starfish, and if I'm dressing up I'll wear one of my dangles.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1314495826|3002995 said:
HI:

I recently culled my jewellery collection and what stayed behind, were, earrings. I often do not wear anything else (besides my ER.)

Cut my hair very short recently and am enjoying the "view". Sometimes it is just simple gold hoops--it is enough.

That siad, I have gotten into the "bad" habit of buying only Signed Pieces" and usually in colored stones. I think I have only one pair of diamond earrings; Kwait star.

Oh wait, were we supposed to provide numbers? :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, I think we need a picture of a few examples! I like your buying strategy! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1314453580|3001466 said:
DS, still think you need those diamond hoops! :naughty:

Haha! Yes, I do have that on my wish list! I did call DD and priced another pair, but I got busy and it was just so much trouble to go back there and look again. But on the other hand, diamond hoops are hard to order without trying on. Therefore, I am still without them!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond earrings: none

Pearl earrings: 3 (at least - I am always losing a pair of Etsy coin pearls somewhere)

Other ones in the rotation: at least 10

Broken, tacky, too big, too cheap looking, or no longer my taste: at least 15

I have about 4 everyday go-to pairs, 3 or 4 fancy day go-to pairs, and probably 4 or 5 go-to night-out pairs. I love earrings. They're my real jewelry obsession.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HollyS|1314474266|3001884 said:
I have far too many earrings, only because I wear the same dozen over and over again. The rest languish in jewelry boxes.

I do not usually wear 'fine jewelry' earrings like diamonds or other stones. Nor do I wear a lot of gold; sterling is cheaper than WG for the look, and I wear much less YG than I used to. However, I love YG and rose gold, and if I could afford to spend right now, I might be seriously tempted to invest in rose gold pieces.

Most of my earrings are chosen because they are interesting, unique, go well with a specific clothing item, etc. I do not wear studs or huggies or tiny hoops. I'm not a 'wear a necklace everyday' person, so I tend to draw interest to my face with earrings; tiny ones would not serve this purpose.

If I'm wearing costume, I try not to attempt a 'real' look - - because it just looks like I can't afford real. If you wear obvious costume, it's all about the design and style - - not the fake factor. Costume jewelry used to be worn by the most elegant of women (think the 1940s through the 1960s); even Jackie Kennedy had her favorite pieces (like her glass pearls).

My favorite pieces are either completely classic (simple SS earrings), or romantic in an antique/vintage/ethnic inspired design. I'm not into big, clunky, mod, or trendy. I don't wear plastic, rhinestone, feathers, etc.

I would totally wear these:
.... LinkType=#fn=EARRINGS_STYLE%3DDrop%26sp%3D6%26spc%3D540

Holly, I love the pic you posted! Do you have a link to those, by any chance?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results