shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you picked out every single detail of your e-ring? Am I lucky or silly?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

courtneyclv

Shiny_Rock
Hey Charger girl..I will a pic especially on here for you tomorrow...

ps- BF wants a Chargers themed Christmas tree!

Wish me luck tomorrow everyone! Going to look at 3 stones and I may just bring one home tomorrow!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s becoming more and more common for the woman to have imput on her ring. After all, women are the ones wearing it and women are the ones who know about jewelry! I was completely involved in the process of my ring and my wedding band. I picked out everything and I even paid for the setting and all of my wedding band. He paid for the stone in my e-ring. I knew what I wanted and he really didn''t know much about diamonds, jewelry, or what I wanted. It would have taken a lot of time to teach him and some frustration as well. He was totally cool with me picking things out. He just wanted to propose when he was ready and he wants to have imput in his wedding ring, which is totally fair.

My proposal story was similar to Amber''s. Although I picked out the ring, he chose the time and place to propose...but I wasn''t too surprised. I knew it was coming since we both thought it would be nice to tell our family when we were heading home a week later. It was still incredibly special and romantic. I will always cherish the moment. I think in my case it was better not to be surprised and possibly disappointed with the ring.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Courtney,

Our stories are really similar. I plan and research like crazy and he''s not like that at all. My BF just gave me a budget and I''m doing all the research. I''m VERY picky and he''s scared that he won''t pick something I like on his own. Its important to him to get something that I love. We looked at settings and stones together, and he gave me his opinion on what he likes best. I found a stone I like online, and when he saves up enough, he''s going to buy it and that will be that. Although I found different stones in varying price ranges so he can pick what he feels is appropriate for our situation.

I''ve seen guys here on PS that really enjoy the diamond search, and it would be fun if my BF was like that, but he just spends his days online looking at trucks and football scores. He''s just not into it.

Sometimes people misinterpret all the input I have as being materialistic, because they say its not the ring thats important. I wholeheartedly agree about the ring not being the most important thing. I just think there''s a lot of opportunities to get ripped off out there so it''s important to be informed, especially since its such a lot of money to spend. If left to his own devices I feel like he might get ripped off, since he''s not into the research.

BF''s best friend got engaged this past week and he did everything on his own and surprised his GF. He went to "some wholesale place in San Francisco". That scares me because he is not the researching type either. I haven''t seen the ring yet, and I just hope he paid a fair price and the dealer did not make any misrepresentations. Thats my main concern, fairness and honesty.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I am a Courtney too.
9.gif

I picked out my setting with my now-FI. I asked him if we could shop together for a ring, and he was a little hesitant. When I told him that I wanted to love my ring in 30 years as much as I loved it when he first slipped it on my finger, he started to get the idea. We went to a few places and I gave him my top choices. He later purchased the setting I actually adored the most and bought a center RB on his own. I wish I would have had more say in the center diamond in hindsight because the one he picked is not as well cut as it could be, but he did buy eyeclean and bigger than expected and he did that part on his own, so I didn''t want to take that away from him. I adore my ring and get many compliments on how perfectly "me" it is. I''m glad I was able to be involved.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I picked out the setting. I was open to a few different shapes for the center stone but DH *loves* ECs (and really only EC). He narrowed it down to 3 stones. Showed them to me (even though he said these weren''t the real ones. Silly boy did not fool me). Of course I totally ignored the smallest and disliked the largest (2.01 but I hated the L:W). He was leaning toward the largest so I am *so* glad he showed me. The middle one was perfect.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori, you are like Goldilocks!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 6:47:51 AM
Author:courtneyclv
My BF is VERY laid back. He wants the easy way out of everything. He told me I could get whatever I wanted and so..I am building my dream ring. I have my setting picked out, I have been researching princess center stones, and am picking that out too. He basically said, ''Spend somewhere around this, go over if you want by a little, do everything, pick up the center stone, bring it to the place with the setting, pay (not with my money though) , etc..let me know when it is done to pick it up''. He is then going to surprise me and propose.

We have also been living together for two years, talking marriage for over a year and are even looking at wedding spots..so I guess this doesn''t have to be ''traditional'' either.

Now, I am the kind of person that does like to have control over some things. I like to research things, plan, organize, etc. He doesn''t..If he went to pick out a ring for me, it would be the first he saw just to get out of the store!
(and it isn''t that I wouldn''t love it..but he knows he isn''t as educated as me about diamonds AND he wants me to get what I want)

I think this is ok and truthfully I am having FUN (LOOVVEE this site!), but one of my guy friends thought it was weird that I am doing EVERYTHING. Now, his GF got a gorgeous e-ring from her ex..and she doesnt like the setting and sidestones at all. So..you would think he would understand why, now adays, women have a lot, or ALL the imput.

What do you think?
lucky you lucky you.

we have seen some disasters on here. i do not understand the surprise thing.

We picked out our ring together. At the time, swirly marquise bridal sets were all the rage. my hubby who has excellent taste, took me aside and said, hey if you get that you will be tired of it in 5 years. he encouraged me to get a plain solitaire. I wore that version of plain solitaire for years. I have V.4 on finger now, same stone, stronger more durable tiffany setting.

I have a number of solitaire wraps for days when i am tired of plain solitaire.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My hubby proposed to me without a ring because he wanted us to ring shop together.

So, I got the best of both worlds......I got a surprise proposal, and I got to pick everything about my ring.

We picked the center stone first, and I wore that in a simple solitaire setting for a few months until I could really nail down what I wanted for a setting. Then I designed a setting that I liked....with how it would fit with the w/ring in mind....and it was finished a month before we married.

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
Hey there!

My bf was very laid back too. We had already talked about marriage and visited potential venues together. When it came time for the ring, he got really into the research and the shopping. In fact, I think he got more into it than I did. We went ring shopping together.

He ended up purchasing a stone that was far superior in quality than anything I expected and I absolutely adore my ring.
30.gif

One of my high school friends was proposed to without a ring. Then her fiance took her to a jewelry store to approve of the ring he wanted to purchse for her, but he wasn''t confident that she''d like it.

lovebug

Rough_Rock
i definitely believe that a woman should design her own ring, or have some input into the ring that she wants. it is a large purchase for the bf, but it is going to be on YOUR finger forever and you have to love it. i have had too many friends get engaged who were less than thrilled with their rings. some have hated it so much that they have actually taken it back and had the stone re-set, or even changed the stone!

i got a few pictures of rings i liked and gave it to him with written specs (carat size range, shape, setting style, metal type, and ring finger size) and let him find one. this way i know i will get the ring that i want. i really wanted him to have to go to the store and find one for me. i just like the thought of him entering the store and actually picking out a ring. just something that i like to picture in my mind. maybe i am crazy!

my parents have been married for 35 years. when i started thinking about engagement rings and this topic, i spoke with my mom about it. what they did (35 years ago!) is go to the jewelery store and she picked out 3 different rings that she liked. then it was up to him to decide which one he liked the best (knowing she liked all of them) and which one was most affordable for him. 35 years later, (and a lot more money later) my mom still wears her original engagement ring on her left hand ring finger and wears a 25th anniversary gift (a 2.5 carat, D VVS1 cathedral solitaire) on her right hand. She still loves the .33 carat antique style she picked out all those years ago!

i say, you are the one that needs to be happy. design away and you will be guaranteed to get the ring of your dreams. there are enough surprises in life...this doesn''t need to be one of them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results