shape
carat
color
clarity

How many different type of prescription medications are you on?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m seeing a trend here with a number of fellow bling lovers having Hashimtos. Obviously my need to acquire pretties is directly related to my failed thyroid so I’ll tell my DH that my medical condition is responsible and I am merely self medicating.:lol:

I think this would be a great question for one of @Dancing Fire 's polls.:lol:

Count me as another with Hashimotos, am amazed at how many of us there are!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this would be a great question for one of @Dancing Fire 's polls.:lol:

Count me as another with Hashimotos, am amazed at how many of us there are!

Dr Google gave me some info re incidence:

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/hashimoto-thyroiditis#statistics

Hashimoto thyroiditis affects 1 to 2 percent of people in the United States. It occurs more often in women than in men, which may be related to hormonal factors. The condition is the most common cause of thyroid underactivity (hypothyroidism) in the United States.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
jeeze...I have Hashimoto's too. Diagnosed since 2014.

is diamond a missing mineral in our diet or something? is that why we crave them? lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None for me, too. I know I am fortunate. But the truth is, I have had family members on various drugs who seemed to have problems, so I will do almost anything natural before I'd take a synthetic prescription medication (yes I realize there are some that have no choice). My husband was prescribed a statin drug and after a couple of years developed some issues that just happen to be on the list of side effects. Dementia is a side effect of some station drugs!!!! I do think he has some memory loss from it. As soon as I read the info on statin drugs and connected it to the various symptoms he had, he went off of them. He switched to Niacin as a less harmful alternative.

I try to eat healthy. I do have some supplements that I occasionally take like D3 and K, magnesium, fish oil. My dad had Alzheimer's and from what I have read, neurotoxins in the brain such as aluminum can be a cause or partial cause, and not getting enough fats in the brain. My dad was of the generation that was told low-fat diet was good for you. And just look at the Alzheimers. So I do eat fats (such as butter and half and half and meat), organic as much as possible, avoid things with aluminum like injections, and take the fish oil sporadically.

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I take everything individually because they don't have the correct form (for me) or amount in multivitamins. I had genetic testing done and it explained a lot. I cannot complete the methylation process so must take methylated vitamins to absorb it. I am still anemic but working on it. I got my Homocysteine down from 15 to 7 which is pretty good. I am a work in progress lol but aren't we all. I blame my parents for marrying within their faith and thereby giving me lots of recessive genes.

I cannot convert T4 to T3 (which is needed for every cell in our bodies) so if I take synthetic T4 meds it just converts to Reverse T3 and blocks my T3 receptors making me even more hypothyroid. So I take 1 grain of NDT (naturally dessicated Thyroid hormone) and 30 mgs of T3 (Cytomel generic) and my endocrinologist and I are still working on it as we have not found the best combo for me. When he upped my NDT to 1.5 grains my RT3 (Reverse T3) went too high making me more hypo. So he upped my Cytomel and cut my NDT.

All by my request as many/most endocrinologists prescribe synthetic T4 (Levo/Synthroid) only because big pharma has forced Synthroid down their throats while maligning NDTs. Long story and it's boring politics suffice to say most endocrinologists don't know much about NDTs and/or T3 meds. It gets a bad rep/rap.

But most Hashimoto's and hypothyroid patients cannot convert T4 to T3 and that is the kicker. So many are kept undermedicated and unwell. It's a vicious cycle.
Even if one is knowledgeable about this it's challenging to get the combo right because our bodies are so complicated.

My iron and cortisol are messed up and until I get that balanced I won't be able to take the full dose of meds I need to get my thyroid levels right. I have been working on this for 20 months now. Getting closer I think. I am lucky my endocrinologist is excellent and open to my suggestions. Really fortunate and he is intelligent to boot so I feel lucky I finally found him last summer.

Let me know if I can help in any way. I am by no means an expert but I know more than I did 20 months ago. LOL. Good luck and wishing you happy health!

ETA I also take magnesium...800 mg. Forgot about that. Magnesium is important. I tested everything before I started supplementing to know what I needed and what I did not.
As for iron you don't want to supplement unless you need it. You need to get an iron profile. That includes four values. Total Iron, Ferritin, TIBC and % saturation. One number won't give you the full picture. HTH.
I also have a thyroid issue and taking synthroid. My iron levels are also low and taking 25 mg 3x a day. But, maybe I need to see an endocrinologist and not just my general dr. If you are in the NJ/NY area, I would love it if you could share your dr's name.
I recently completed genetic testing and maybe that will also help once the results come in.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a thyroid issue and taking synthroid. My iron levels are also low and taking 25 mg 3x a day. But, maybe I need to see an endocrinologist and not just my general dr. If you are in the NJ/NY area, I would love it if you could share your dr's name.
I recently completed genetic testing and maybe that will also help once the results come in.

Hi @Staceyjan I am sorry you have thyroid issues too and I am happy to share my endocrinologist's name.
Contact me on loupe troop.
https://loupetroop.com/account/listings/21556

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results