shape
carat
color
clarity

How low would you go in color for a 2 carat round diamond engagement ring?

iheartsparkly

Rough_Rock
I am trying to get a sense on what color diamond would look good in a simple platinum setting. I am attaching a picture of an example of the look that I'm going for. I doubt that a D, E, or F diamond is in the budget... I know this is a subjective question, but how low in diamond color would you go and still get the appearance of a white diamond?

IMG_40265.JPG

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me H is where I start to notice the tint and where I would stop if I wanted a white appearance. It is so subjective though and depends on the individual stone from what I've seen. =)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incredibly subjective, but personally I would be happy with J as long as it was ideal cut (ACA, CBI, etc). Those tend to face up whiter than other stones (at least from what I've seen / heard due to the cut). But I think for many people I is a safer bet. I just know I'm not color sensitive so J would look plenty white to me.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here us my AGS J. A super ideal cut will face up whiter than a less well cut stone.

I suggest you go look in person at GIA and AGS graded stones to test your color tolerance. 20181212_162506.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
G. I dream of a G. Lol. But being a size queen, I settled for an I. But how I wish I had gotten a G. The thing is. Don’t judge by pictures. So many factors affect the picture or by others’ tolerance. See the stone in person. Wear it for a couple of weeks under different lighting situations. That’s how long it will take you to discern your threshold for color.
ETA: my first diamond was an F. Then I came to ps and started reading about cut and how it masked color and blah blah so I convinced myself that I could love an I if it was big. Lol. I love my stone. But I would love it more even if it was a 2 carat G over the 2.52 I that I have. Bc my eyes easily got accustomed to the size. But they don’t get accustomed to the tint.

Last edited:

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As someone who is not color sensitive, I can start to detect color at J. =)2

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
please keep in mind if you do see a diamond loose in the I or J or even K color Super Ideal, it may "appear" tinted, but once set, the color will not be as apparent to those of loose diamonds. I came for an H I J color, then went down to K... so my color tolerance has been swing towards the lower ranges.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Incredibly subjective, but personally I would be happy with J as long as it was ideal cut (ACA, CBI, etc). Those tend to face up whiter than other stones (at least from what I've seen / heard due to the cut). But I think for many people I is a safer bet. I just know I'm not color sensitive so J would look plenty white to me.

Ditto this!!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone has different color sensitivity but also may prefer warmer vs whiter.
I personally have 5 CBI diamonds. Four of them are F while one is a Q (yes Q as in Queen). All 5 are beautiful.

Only you can decide which color is best for you.

chanieish

Rough_Rock
Premium
I went as low as a J to maximize the size. But I knew that a J would usually show hints of color/yellow. My diamond is white 90% of the time when I wear it alone. I can definitely see the creaminess next to my F. But I knew this before purchasing and was okay with it. The scintillation more than distracts me from the color!

Seeing that you appreciate icy white colors, I would go as low as H. I think it will still face up very white and you will definitely enjoy the discount compared to colorless diamonds! Just make sure you don't skimp on cut!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the G/H camp. If I have a lot of money then I'll do an F color.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really does come down to two things, the colour sensitivity of the person, so you need to go and look at diamonds in a range of colours to work out what you can and can't accept and diamond cut, an outstanding cut will help better hide or mask colour because it reflects more white light back to the human eye.

The exception to my eyes is old or Antique cut diamonds, these IMHO tend to again hide or mask colour or, be more acceptable visually in mid to lower colours than modern cuts.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not particularly colour sensitive, I have a H Marquise, and a L OEC.

You have to see something for yourself to know what’s acceptable to your eyes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only wear white metals and it will be a H or I for me.

DK :))

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I am color sensitive and the larger the stone the better color I need. So G is my limit over 1.50 for a round.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m color sensitive and always go G or higher..I recently bought a beautiful H color cushion. After wearing it for a few days I do see the tint in certain conditions...I was told my G in my engagement ring is a high G so closer to an F than an H. I think my cushion is a lower H. It faces up blindly white but in certain conditions and if tilted I can see the warmth. It doesn’t bother me but I know G is my lowest. Actually my Tiffany pendant is an I but it doesn’t have warmth that I can see at any angle.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
GIA G or AGS F. I'm pretty color sensitive and I hate the look of warm diamonds.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably go to K for an ering in an MRB if it was ideal cut. I have a K now that is just under 1.5ct and I only see a slight tinge of yellow from the side, and doesn’t bother me at all ... in fact, I love it. And face-on, it is white to my eyes. Going up in size means the color would be more evident, but I would probably still be fine with it.
FD3B9DFF-77AA-4222-A860-8AFE74FAA872.jpeg

Old cuts and other shapes would be a different approach/considerations. I have an M color OEC and an F Tycoon cut so it really depends - for me - in the cut.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GIA graded, I would go as low as H (possibly "high I").
AGS graded, no less than G.

Even though lower colors may "face up" whiter based on cut, I don't like seeing tint from the profile, especially in ring at 2 ct and above. For smaller diamonds or other jewelry (earrings, etc.), I would consider lower colors.

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am so happy with my ACA J, I would even think about going to a K if I went over 2 carats. I am sure to a diamond expert there is tint from the side, but nobody "in real life" would ever think assume it wasn't a high color. I get so many compliments! I have seen jewelry store J's that were absolutely yellow and awful, so an ideal cut is a must.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
After thinking about it I think I like the more extreme ranges..so either very white or an M or lower...I bought a beautiful small M color mrb that I wear in a stacking ring..and I absolutely love it..

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a personal question. Everyone here can share their own observations or likes, but how you perceive color, only you will know.

I would advice you to visit a T&Co store if there is one nearby or a jewellery store that carries GIA diamonds and test your own color perception and tolerance.

As to my own experience, my original e-ring was an H and to me it was a very white stone. I then had a few J, K diamonds to get a larger size. I was able to see the colour, but I knew that something had to give if I wanted particular carat weight for the given budget. I now have a 2.1ct I that does face up white, but again, it’s not a colourless stone. However, the color difference, to me, is mostly noticeable when I am to compare it to a colourless diamond/melee and not 100% of the time.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
G

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had a J and a K and both were very white to me

J 1.97 1.97kSI1.png
K 3.02 2.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.02jsi2.jpg
    3.02jsi2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 55

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really think when your diamond in a lower color is by itself..not next to another whiter diamond..it’s not noticeable to most people’s eyes..It’s mostly when it’s side by side with a higher color diamond that makes it more noticeable. Since being in Pricescope I do love even the in between colors..and I’m slowly changing my mind about how I feel about the lower colors..As long as the cut is amazing..they’re all beautiful. I do prefer a brown undertone as opposed to a yellow but that’s just personal preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results