How long would or should rhodium plating last? Consumer experiences required

How long did the rhodium plating last?

• Under a year

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • One to one and a half years

• More then one and a half years

• Still white and counting (what metal is your ring?)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
There is a lot of hit and miss with rhodium plating. It is expensive and it is hard to maintain the solutions in perfect order. Jewellery polishing shops are inherently dirty and it takes some effort to keep them clean. When the solutions are new they are great, but I fear a lot of jewellers hang onto the old solution - filter it a few too many times etc and even though the plating isn''t perfect anymore they keep using it until it becomes more noticeable.

That point may be too late…

I am sure that says heaps about the discrepancy in the time it takes to wear off.

Good or bad, there are ways to make it work better. Juan Manuel made a good post about flash plating. This takes more time, but the benefits are definitely real.

Like most things relating to labour costs in the jewellery business, you can have one person charging $10 and another $20 and it is actually the $10 person who is making the most money. It really depends on the individual and what he is prepared to do for you and why.

Hi Schatzley,
I only use palladium w/g. It is a good colour but I rhodium plate it none the less. I have been using particularly white platinum lately and it is as white as rhodium plated metal. It takes such a good polish that I don''t rhodium plate it very often - I still do. Rhodium gives just that bit of extra shine. It scratches differently and a little too noticeably to use in wrought work which doesn''t scratch much at all.

I always give my customers the choice of rhodium or not. I use it for the colour and the brightness especially where diamonds are concerned, but I don''t offer off white w/g. Good w/g is readily available – just costs a little more p/gram. Yellow or greyish w/g looks terrible when it comes off badly coloured w/g.

I started this thread to get an idea of how long I should say rhodium lasts to my customers. Thank you. I have loads of questions in my head about which metals take it better and what wears it away.

I imagine – (if it is how things work) - that I am the person who would wear off the rhodium in a few months that another would keep in good condition for a few years. (You don’t want to know how many pairs of shoes I go though). In fact, I think I am pretty accurate with telling by looking at a client how wearable their piece of jewellery should be.

I think a lot of what we are seeing here, in terms of how long rhodium lasts depends on the metal underneath. The older the w/g the more palladium (even platinum) content the alloy has and that says something, and older pieces here are the ones that appear to keep the rhodium in tact the longest! It must have a lot to do with the whiter base colour (the older ones are whiter), but I also suspect the platinum metal group metals - palladium/platinum/rhodium/iridium/ruthenium etc, bind better with rhodium.

I definitely know that some metals take gold plating better (as Steve points out - he nickel plates silver before rhodium plating it – a trick commonly used to plate gold on steel watches etc). I don''t know how much, but I think this is an important point in understanding why rhodium lasts 5months or 4 years (plus all the others…)

The hard part is getting any empirical evidence as the time span being over a few years and the variables concerned makes it difficult for the retailer (who sends their jewels off all looking the same) to get enough feed back to at least derive an opinion.

Anybody have a platinum jewel with rhodium plating that has come off? You have to look close to see it – even try using a loupe. The lack of platinum users in this post says a lot I think. Colour, colour, colour

Almost at a conclusion,

Phillip

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I may have missed a post but any thoughts on Sterling Silver or yellow Gold?
When we made the last lot of custom Sterling silver jewellery we were offered this plating but been unsure of the long term results and declined. We are making more Sterling Silver and 9/18k yellow gold now so wonder what to do ?

Cheers Andrew Lane

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
There are silver alloys that are not affected by fire stain. Apecs has a patent, I think, but I am sure there are good non-tarnishing alloys you can get in NSW.

I have rhodium plated silver in the past and it came out ok. Mine were done for a company wanting to photograph the jewellery, so I don''t know how well it lasted. Steves workshop (Feydekin), underplates with nickle. I am sure this helps.

Most people plate silver with silver to get rid of the fire stain. In fact, they strip them (fire stain gone), which adds just that little bit more shine, then they plate them as a matter of course which adds a little more shine, and the whole process makes them just that bit more saleable.

If they are offering rhodium plated silver and they are a good company, I''d give it a go. Give your customers the choice, letting them know that it is untested. Probably not a great idea for rings that will take a lot of wear.

I could imagine myself making a platinum ring with your sapphires one day. Your sapphires are very inexpensive. Got any nice big cornflower blue ones?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Could have bought ten new ones for that

indigo

Rough_Rock
I became allergic to my platinum wedding band after about 9 months. Still no problem with my e-ring which is a plat-irid alloy. Jewelery store can''t tell me what alloy the wedding band is now. Anyway, had it coated with rhodium and everything''s fine. I''ll know for sure how long it lasts when I start getting that red burn mark around my finger again.

On a side note, how can I find out what alloy my ring is? I''m guessing cobalt since it seems to cause the most allergic reactions. I heard that you can use a magnet to find out, but is cobalt the only alloy that will respond to a magnet? If anyone knows then please email me with an answer (indigo997@ yahoo.com)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results