shape
carat
color
clarity

How long for custom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beemuse

Rough_Rock
Hi long time lurker here. This is my first time posting. I want to say what a great website this is. I love reading and seeing every ones beautiful jewelry. I check it all the time. I was always too shy to say anything. Everyone has been so helpful.

I honestly never wanted to post here. Not because I didn''t like it here but because I feel funny having to ask for help. I already have a diamond and I was working with someone to make a custom ring. I''m beginning to think it''s not going to work out. I went with one of the jewelers (I''ll leave out the name for now) that I always saw rave reviews with here. I hate to say this but they missed 2 very important deadlines. They received the diamond in mid April and it was needed by June. They made the ring but it looked NOTHING like the pictures I provided. To make matters worse I told them I absolutely hated something and it made it on the ring. Some things I would have forgiven if they made the deadline that wasn''t one of them.

It really was a disappointment for me that they missed the deadline. I have never been a show off. I have never wanted to be the center of attention but this was special. Maybe the gods were against me or it was too short a time to have something custom, maybe I was too emotionally involved, but it really sucked. I cried, the events passed and now I''m still waiting. Also since they missed the deadline and now that I have all the time in the world I want it right and I told them everything I thought was wrong with the first ring. (It was so different from the pictures I provided now I want it right) Now It''s the end of August and I still don''t have a clue whats going on. I drove 4 hours in July to see the jeweler in person to re-explain what I wanted. They emailed me ONCE with CAD drawings in July. I sent them a page of corrections (In the CAD drawings the ring wasn''t even centered). They called in early in August (the first time I heard from them after I sent the corrections) to tell me that they didn''t think I would be happy with anything they did. I haven''t heard from them since. No phone calls, email or CAD drawings. They have my diamond and a deposit for half the cost of the quote. Is this normal? How long is too long? Time lines don''t matter now & I have no one to show it off to. I probably made a big mistake wanting a custom ring. But what do I do now? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks for listening and sorry it''s so long.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
It's pretty normal for them to ask for 50% down, as well as holding on to your stone. This is what Leon Mege asked for.

He took 6 weeks to make my ring - which seemed like a really long time.

I suggest that you think about another vendor if this one has not met your needs, the first setting being such an utter disaster. Call them get your deposit and stone back, don't just it sit there.

Where are you located, perhaps someone can suggest a good vendor in your area?

Scintillating...

beemuse

Rough_Rock
Thank you for replying

Can I just ask for my deposit back and my diamond? I never did this before and I don''t know how it works. I thought that I would loose the money if I told them forget it. I posted this because it just seemed like such a long time (4 months) and I''m not sure what to do. I can''t really afford to loose the money.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
beemuse:

First of all I am sorry about your situation. I can imagine that you are probably at your wit''s end right now. You asked a question about the protocol for getting a refund and your diamond. I think the protocol is that you just ask! They did not deliver the product, you are unhappy with the time that it''s taken and I think you have every right to start by asking for a refund of your deposit and your diamond. After all, the work has not been completed.

It seems even the best of vendors have their bad days. But hopefully you can find someone else to create your ring for you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results