shape
carat
color
clarity

How large of a diamond can i expect for 20K? F VS(1 or 2) EX

edwinchester

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
Looking to spend 20k on something special for my GF. Need F, VS (1 or 2) and EX cut..
Any thoughts on the size I should expect?

Thanks all! You are all so great!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Re: How large of a diamond can i expect for 20K? F VS(1 or 2

I am assuming you want a round. Looking at some of the recommended sellers here, I would say 1.2 ct to 1.5 ct.

Whiteflash:
1.31 ct F VS1 $19K http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2649052.htm

BGD:
1.21 ct E VS1 $19K http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040402250002

James Allen:
1.51 F VS1 $19k http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1354538.asp

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock

For a Round AGS 0 Ideal, the search is showing about a 1.5 F VS1 or VS2.
Likely larger for another cut. An Emerald can get you more finger coverage & larger weight for that budget I think.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

It'll depend in part on the shape. RB?

edwinchester

Rough_Rock

Looking for a RB. thanks for posting that JA one. i just tried it in the HCA, and its about a 3? is that still ok? Would this AGS cert being a ideal 0 be better than a GIA cert diamond?

thanks for the replies

edwinchester

Rough_Rock

So i know this might be a newbie question, but I'm finding from my limited observations that GIA cert diamonds are seeming to be priced higher than AGS, is this just me? Also, I read something where that the opposite should be true. Just wanted to see the experts opinions?

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock

20K for the diamond only? Not including the setting?

For that much diamond, budget a couple of thousand for a setting - you want it to have good craftsmanship and durability.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock

edwinchester|1314897667|3007511 said:
So i know this might be a newbie question, but I'm finding from my limited observations that GIA cert diamonds are seeming to be priced higher than AGS, is this just me? Also, I read something where that the opposite should be true. Just wanted to see the experts opinions?

From what I have read and from what I understand, AGS uses more stringent criteria to grade the cut of a diamond as AGS 0 that that used by GIA to grade a diamond as excellent.

As far as prices, a lot of factors go into it. Not all of them are characteristics of the actual diamond.

edwinchester

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the heads up, I have a verragio setting in mind, and that isn't included in the 20K. I've been to a few BM stores and the sales men are too slippery for my stomach to handle. Price scope has been amazing!! Seriously, I figure this ER will be a one time purchase, and due to family background there not many things (if anything) that will be passed down to me, so i figure i should do my best to make sure my kids will have something.

Do you know if B&M stores will provide ideal scopes and etc?

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock

edwinchester|1314900154|3007552 said:
Thanks for the heads up, I have a verragio setting in mind, and that isn't included in the 20K. I've been to a few BM stores and the sales men are too slippery for my stomach to handle. Price scope has been amazing!! Seriously, I figure this ER will be a one time purchase, and due to family background there not many things (if anything) that will be passed down to me, so i figure i should do my best to make sure my kids will have something.

Do you know if B&M stores will provide ideal scopes and etc?

Most B&M stores will not know what an idealscope or ASET is. You can, however, purchase an IS online and take it with you when you are looking at diamonds locally.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock

I'll chime in again. You seem to have fixed your other Cs at F, VS, and EX. If size does matter to you and keeping clarity and cut where you have it, you could drop color to H, and go as high as a 1.7 or so carat diamond and still stay around 20K. Or maybe just drop down to a G. If color is fixed at F, that's good to know as it makes decision-making easier!

Also, in thinking about size, consider how much finger coverage you and your GF are aiming for. I like the table posted in the thread below:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/carat-weight-vs-finger-size-finger-coverage-percentage.131327/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/carat-weight-vs-finger-size-finger-coverage-percentage.131327/[/URL]

edwinchester

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone, attached is the AGS 000 vs 1 from JA... any thoughts?

1354538id.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks really nice!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Is that the one I posted earlier? looks great. I would also look at the one slg posted:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1338387.asp

It's a 1.66 vs the 1.51 you are looking at. You can request yea idealscope and ask the JA gemologist to compare the two. They will give you their honest opinion. I would put any diamond you are considering on hold before someone snatch it. Good luck!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Looks good to me too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results