shape
carat
color
clarity

How is this Cushion cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dinah

Rough_Rock
Is this a well cut cushion stone?
2.49 D VVSI1
9.41 x 7.68 x 4.79
D 61.5
T 58

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Old Miner may be the best person to answer this Q...but I'll throw in a few comments in the meantime.

Cushion cuts are usually old cut stones from around the early 1900's or so...which means that for the most part the cutting techniques were nowhere near as precise as they can be today. So when you ask if the old stone is well-cut, probably not to today's standards...and as far as I know there really are no standards necessarily for old cut stones.

That said, the cushion stones are very beautiful if you like that type of flatter faceted look (I do)...but don't expect them to be graded by 2003 standards. They are usually purchased by those who love the romantic look of the stone. Also many of the older stones such as this one will have much larger culets than you will see in modern rounds, which means you may see the culet reflection through the table of the stone. Kind of cool.

Also it seems somewhat rare to find an old stone that has a D VVS1 color/clarity match....would be sure to get the diamond appraised within your return policy timeframe etc to be sure that it is legit and that all matches up. Just in case. Wonder who owned the stone way back when....

1.gif

dinah

Rough_Rock
This stone is GIA certified and the price is only about 5k--because the price is so low it makes one wonder about the cut....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
VERY low! Check out www.diamondwholesale.cc and look for a price on a similar cushion cut in their DB..they sell alot of the older cut stones....i bet you will see that a price for a 2.5c D VVS1 Cushion Cut is at least over $10k! The older stones are discounted sometimes but not by that much!! Especially since of late they have been in much more favor with the masses.

Would be wary...see if you can get the stone checked out by an appraiser before purchasing or within your return policy window. Could be an amazing deal, or something may be fishy! Even just the D VVS1 is amazing for an older stone..the price is shocking!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If this is an antique stone, then it is likely to be too shallow to look its best. If it is a modern cut cushion, we don't have enough details to know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results